• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 NXS Compact questions

lonely_wolf

Woof.
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Up North
I would like more information on the Nightforce 32mm. I have found a lot of positive feedback about the scope, but little of what I have read has went into detail. It seems most are putting them on AR15’s, not bolt rifles.

My plan is to build a lighter bolt rifle for carrying in the field and hunting (700, A1 or A1-3 Edge, short barrel, etc) so I’m thinking the 32mm is the best choice. I’m expecting the same quality of my NXS 50mm, but in a lighter, smaller package. I am leery of it being only 32mm, but I prefer to stick with Nightforce because of the quality and features.

1) I am concerned about the clarity at long ranges without a parallax adjustment. The parallax question has been raised in other threads I ran across, but never really answered.

2) Opinions on which reticle are more than welcome. Right now I am using the MLR /Mil. I would like to stay with Mil, but am thinking the Mildot will be too busy in such a small scope. So I’m leaning towards the NPR2/MOA. Thoughts?

3) What rings to get the scope as low as possible? Not much information on this as most are mounting on ARs. I’m going to use an NF two piece base. I’m thinking the Badger 0.823 rings?

Thanks.

Re: Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 NXS Compact questions

1) How far is "long ranges" in your mind for a field rifle? You'll have no issues shooting game up to 600 imho with that scope, probably even further.

2) Stick with mils all around. Mildot is not that busy, it's dots on a duplex reticle.

3) Are the Badger's alloy? If not then go Seekins low to keep the weight down. With a 32mm obj any low rings will still be high enough.

I've been there before. I had this scope on my whitetail rig. It's a great scope, but the 32mm was a problem for me. At 10x there is a significant decrease in lower light performance. And I'm not talking only at dawn/dusk, but also during the afternoon hours of the gray sky winters.

I got rid of it and went to a 42mm IOR if that tells you anything.

As for rings, go as low as you want. You might even consider a set of Burris dovetail rings as they can get you about a 1/10th of an inch lower than the lowest Picatinny rail setup.

I'd also recommend sticking with the Mil-Dot. It's not a problem for hunting, and IMO it would certainly simplify things to keep all your rifle scopes using the same adjustment units.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Original rifle;</span> (0 MOA Burris bases, and TPS Super Low (0.820") alloy rings
Picture009.jpg

Picture011.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Updated</span> (Burris dovetail rings and bases)
Picture003-4.jpg

I use mine on my Tikka T3 300 Win super lite. I have only shot it out to 400 as that is about as far I will shoot at game, so the lack of parallax adjustment is no biggy. Alot of the older "premium" sniper and target scopes do not have parallax adjustments and they do just fine.

I have the Mil with the zero stops. GREAT!! scope, light, clear and bright, my only complaint is the reticle. In low light due to the way the NF mil dot is see through it does not show up well at all in thick brush with out the illumination on. I also feel that on 2.5 the reticle is a little to fine for quick in close shooting as it does not stand out well. I am long time Mil dot user so I will stick with them, you may look at one of the thicker reticles like the velocity based ones.

Even with the above mine is stayong where it is. NF scopes are as near bullet proof as it gets and considering the base gun weighs sub 6 lbs I need it.

Good lick Z

OP, I am thinking of a similar set-up on a Manners T with the same scope. I was also wondering about light transmission as I hunt in the early morning and late afternoon, and the NF is so attractive because of its size and weight.

BTW, what caliber are you going with?

Thanks for the information so far everyone. Sounds like their will be no issues for shooting long range with it. The light gathering is now my biggest concern. I imagine it will be hard going from a 50mm to a 32mm regardless of the 32mm quality. Fortunately, I finally found a shop with one in stock. It doesn’t have any of the features I would like, but it is a NF 32mm. I’m going to drive out and have a look at it.

The Badgers are alloy, not steel. Seekins are difficult to get in Canada.

Phlii,
Boring ol’ 308 as I have all the stuff for it. Although I may try 223. The build is still pretty conceptual. I have a MCS-T CF on order now. It’s heavier than the HTG Edge, but has a higher comb. I’m curious about the A1-3 Edge as well. It’s about the same wait as the MCS-T, ~2.25lbs. The HTG is 1.6lb which makes it the lightest option I know of as far as ‘tactical’ styles go.

I have the 2-10-24mm and 5.5-22-56mm NF scopes, as well as many in between in NF, IOR and Lupy. For a lightweight field rifle, the IOR 2-10-42MM with the MP-8 is very hard to beat with the NF ultralight rings. you can get a great price on that scope as well.

i've used the 2.5-10 velocity reticles on light weight bolt gun, it works well, and personally that npr2 is hard to beat in a hunting scope

I had the NF two piece base and it did not fit my rifle well, when straight edge was placed on both bases , it was obvious that they were not in alignment. Since it is a hunting rig I think I would run a zero moa one piece base from badger or NF and TPS super low rings, that is about as low as you could get without switching to a non picatinny setup ( which for compatibility reasons would not work for my particular needs).
I have several sets of TPS rings (including alloy super lows) and absolutely love them. Some people have had issues with them, but mine have worked great and the fit to the scope tube is the best I have used.

As far as reticles, I like the mil dot, the fc2 or there np1. The npr2 looks too fine for brush or lowlight.
Just my two cents, YMMV!

As for maximizing light transmission, Premier Reticles has the new Hunter model. It is heavier by 5 oz, longer by 1.6", and a few hundred dollars more expensive. but it does have a 50mm objective and low profile turrets like a traditional hunting scope. Premiers have excellent light transmission.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

3) What rings to get the scope as low as possible? Not much information on this as most are mounting on ARs. I’m going to use an NF two piece base. I’m thinking the Badger 0.823 rings?

</div></div>

I went with low Talley LW mounts. The NF has plenty of elevation travel to run a non-moa mount.

a9bd31b9.jpg

I use the NF 2.5-10x24 for years and have about a dozen of them. I use them day and with PVS 22 at night. NO ISSUES WITH LIGHT TRANSMISSION. Most of my other scopes are S&B, so I know good light transmission.
I do have a bit of an issue with focus at the shorter ranges. Not sure what range it is set to, but now I do not feel I can get the best groups at less than 200 yards. It is fine to 1000. Small issue IMO, as scopes are for sighting, not intense viewing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) I am concerned about the clarity at long ranges without a parallax adjustment. The parallax question has been raised in other threads I ran across, but never really answered.</div></div>

I have 2.5-10x32 with NP-R2 mounted in a Bobro Engineering QR. I also have an Accupoint mounted in another Bobro mount.

I had been using Nightforce on my 16" barreled OBR 556 which I was shooting from 600 to 800 yards.

I have a TRG-22 and I mounted Nightforce on TRG-22. I shoot with that scope from 600 to 800 yards. I have been using it while I have been waiting on an S&B 5-25x56 for TRG.

I think it's quite clear at the ranges I mentions but I've never looked thru S&B or Premier.

I'm not a big fan of the Velocity RETs. I recommend the NPR2 and the MIL-DOT I prefer the MIL SYSTEM.

Mike @ CST

I owned 2.5-10x32 mil-dot, 0.1mrad clicks

It's dark. My eye starts blurring at slightly not sunny day.
Another problem - mil-dot is very thick - at 10x when looking at 100 meter target crosshair covers .308 hole completely - so if you try to shoot group - the NPR2 is better choice.

Ipsc target shooting is ok though - but again NP-R2 or FC-2 reticle - no mil dot.

If you still want light scope with good glass and magnification range - consider March 2.5-25 SFP or 3-24 FFP

For rings I went with Murphy precision .825" and picatinny base (all titanium) - they light and rock solid.

I went to the shop and had a look at the 32mm. They let me take it outside with a NF 56mm. Unfortunately it was a beautiful clear sunny day. Not the best conditions for comparing the two, I should have waited and went at dusk. They were both excellent out to 200 yards- the max distance available to look around. I'm still hesitant on the 32mm. I'm thinking there is a reason why they are on more AR's than bolt guns. Another 50mm will do all the same and more, with only a half pound weight penalty.

I think I'm going to look at some of the other suggestions made in this thread. Thanks everyone.

One more you might consider is my final scope choice for this whitetail rig of mine; a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44mm. This is one of Bushnell's 100% Japanese models, and it shows. The glass is very good. On par with the 2.5-10x NF I had previously, and just slightly behind the 2.5-10x IOR I also had previously.

It is a standard Mil-Dot reticle in FFP, but much easier to use than the FFP IOR. For one, it doesn't tunnel a low power, and two, it uses heavy plex lines to the edges, which makes the reticle much easier to find at low power in busy backgrounds. I also like that only the center portion of the crosshairs illuminate. It makes for very quick recognition on hurried shots in lower light.

At 24.5 ounces, its also fairly light. And lastly, the price tag is also fairly light as well.

Just a thought since you said that you were still looking.

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

@Glock- I forget about that scope. It does have an appealing price tag.

By the way- Cheers to everyone who posted pictures. There are some very fine rifles in this thread.

Just for general feedback, I love my NF 2.5x10 32mm. However, I dislike my 3.5x15 50mm. I have limited xp with NF scopes and I'm unimpressed with the clarity of the 3.5x15 at maximum magnification...