• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 5.5x vs 10x vs 15x vs 22x photos

dstewart51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Lake Hughes, CA
Shot some photos of what the sight picture looks like at various magnifications. It's chilli cloudy winter day so the color is a bit dull. Scope is a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with MLR Reticle. The image to my eye came out just a bit better then what I was able to capture with my camera.

The first set of photos where at a boarded up window on a garage 380 yards away. Note, I'm also viewing though a power line just above the crosshair.

Normal Aspect Ratio (as see by the naked eye, not a wide angle lens or telephoto lens)
a_Normal_Aspect.jpg

At 5.5x
a_55x.jpg

At 10x
a_10x.jpg

At 15x
a_15x.jpg

At 22x
a_22x.jpg

The next set of images are the edge of a yard retaining wall 520 yards out. You can see and read a street sign off to the left at 22x.

Normal Aspect Ratio (as see by the naked eye, not a wide angle lens or telephoto lens)
b_Normal_Aspect.jpg

At 5.5x (there is an obstruction causing some blur on the right)
b_55x.jpg

At 10x
b_10x.jpg

At 15x
b_15x.jpg

At 22x
b_22x.jpg

There is some barrel distortion (much more prominent in the second set of photos caused by depth of view of the surroundings) at 5.5x but its gone by 7x. Chromatic Aberration in the from of Purple Fringing is apparent above 15x around high contrast surfaces but clarity stays very good.

Re: Nightforce 5.5x vs 10x vs 15x vs 22x photos

Nice pics, I just got a 3.5-15x50 npr1. I was originally looking for a 5.5-22x56 but couldn't find one with HS/ZS. Have you looked through a 50mm also? Is the 56mm much better?
You live just up the road from me. What range do you shoot at?

You are close! If Im just taking out the hand guns or my 45-70 Marlin I go to "A Place To Shoot". I work in LA so I drive past it twice a day. For longer range paper target stuff I go out to Angeles as they will allow 200y paper on the weekends and out to 300y some weekdays.

For really longer range stuff, BLM land out by China Lake.

I have noting else compatible to the 5.5-22x56 to judge it by and no, I have not looked through a 50mm version. From those who have say there is very little difference.

I work in Sun Valley and drive by Osborne every day, I don't shoot there anymore because its just too packed on the weekends. Out in Acton off of the Angeles crest/Sierra hwy exit about 5 miles up there is a private range, Desert Marksman, that goes out to 640 yards. If you know where to look there are also pieces of steel at 750, 800, 900 and 1000 hidden in the bushes.

Junkyard dog, I'd love to get a membership at Burbank but I don't know anyone to sign for me and $400 is a big chunk of change just to get started. I have been up there as a guest before and it's a real nice range. Not to mention its less than 10 miles from where I live.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">For anyone else interested</span></span>; You don't have to be a regular member to shoot any of the matches.. Just contact the Match Director, to be placed on the Match Roster (Guest: limited # of shooters per match). Then show up to a few matches to get to meet everyone (Hint; Volunteer Work Parties ).

It will take some time to get yourself known, & sponsored for a membership approval.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I intially didn't know anyone, & knew very little about " Rifle Marksmanship ", before joining...20 yrs ago.</span>

The four hundred dollars are a one time " Membership " initiation fee(s). I believe the yearly dues will be $ 150 (?) this coming year(2012).

BRRC
Life Member

Nice pics thanks for sharing. My nxs 5.5-22x is one of my favorite scopes.

I presume your neighbors did not see you.

Good pics I'm looking at getting a NF and I think I'm going to get a 5.5-22x56 now. thanks for the pics you just made my mind up.