• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Advice

imin269

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Hello All, this will be my first post. I've wanted a Nightforce for a long time but never stepped up. I've shot for years using my 5R Rem 700 and my built by me JD Machine AR10. The scopes I have mounted are an ILL Ret Mark 4 LR/T 4.5X14 and Trijicon 5.5X20. Both have been great scopes but really never shot much of anything past 300 yards. What's driving the new scope purchase is the fact I'm stepping into a new 5R Rem 700 chambered in 300WM and expect to use it at 500-1000 yards regularly/primarily. I'm pretty sure I could target successfully with either of my other scope in between those ranges but would like to go bigger with this new rifle and work on closing my groups. I can afford either the 32 or 42 power NXS but don't know anyone who has one that I could work with to help make my decision. I didn't want to assume that the massive 42 was the way to go just because it's bigger. Never having had a super high power scope before and don't know what the drawbacks are when you go that big and hoped some may chime in with a few words of advice. I'm pretty darn sure the 8X32 will be more then adequate since I can target really well with my brothers 25 Power Mark 4 LR/T on his R700 Win Mag shooter. Zero Stop won't be ordered since I understand BORS won't work with that feature. I don't own it yet, but I will in the future and wanted to keep that in mind so I didn't have to buy another scope. Maybe this is too much to answer but figured I'd throw it out to see if I could get a couple replies with what others might get if their requirements were similar, had a $2K budget and had dreams of a Nightforce . Thanks in advance, I dig reading this forum.

Re: Nightforce Advice

Where are you located? I have the NF 8-32x56 BR and 12-42x56 NXS.

32x or 42x is probably more power than you need, especially for those ranges. It also limits your travel.

I have usually found I don't have my scopes maxed out and I don't have anything with 32x. I end up picking up more mirage than I like.

Listen to these guys. You don't need and you won't want a 32x or 42x. Get the 5.5-22 and be happy. I have been down this road and made lots of mistakes. Buying a 32x scope was one of them. All the experience on here can save you some $$
wink.gif

Second the 5.5 x 22. I prefer the 50mm (true 1 piece tube), the clarity ,however, may be slightly better with the 56mm. Don't forget to match turrets to reticle ( moa vs. mil).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3rdgss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Listen to these guys. You don't need and you won't want a 32x or 42x. Get the 5.5-22 and be happy. I have been down this road and made lots of mistakes. Buying a 32x scope was one of them. All the experience on here can save you some $$
wink.gif
</div></div>

Great info here, and a great guy that will make you a great deal on a new NF.

Agreed. Get the 5.5x22 NXS. What you are thinking about getting will give you problems with mirage. I shot all my rifles this past weekend and anything above 12x the mirage was horrible past 700 yards. Get with BJ @ 3rdgss or Jay @ SportOptics, both are great to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. Get the 5.5x22 NXS. What you are thinking about getting will give you problems with mirage. I shot all my rifles this past weekend and anything above 12x the mirage was horrible past 700 yards. Get with BJ @ 3rdgss or Jay @ SportOptics, both are great to deal with. </div></div>

22x is plenty. Mirage can be wicked at times.
Both of the guys mentioned are great to deal with, in my experience.

halcyon575 I really appreciate the offer, very nice of you. Unfortunately I live in Southern Cal. But THANK YOU!

And thank you all so much for taking the time to chiming in, this is the type of feedback I needed. I'm all self thought and don't know of all what is being discussed most importantly "Mirage" But I know what an actual Mirage is so I can deduce what the affect is in the scope and yes I think I'd be a little bummed especially with the money spent. I'll get with the board guys and get this thing glassed up. I pick up the new R700 5R WM sitting snuggly in a Manners T5a GAP Camo Stock with a Badger O Mag feeder tomorrow, I'm super jazzed. I'll post some pictures I have it. Thank you all for the advice!