• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce bases/rings or Ultralite 1-piece mount?

BWB

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
SD
I'm building a 7wsm on a Rem 700 action and needing some advice on mounting options. I'm looking for insight on which route to go, base/rings or a unimount? Would the .885 1-piece mount be the same height as .885 rings on top of a 20moa base? I see the Ultralite 1-piece mount is aluminum, are there any issues with this? What are the benefits of going with separate bases and rings vs. unimount?

Thanks guys!

Link to direct mount: http://nightforceoptics.com/accessories/direct-mount/

Last edited:
I have the NEAR alpha mount with my nightforce its awesome for switching from rifle to rifle makes it quick and simple,used all kinds and keep coming back.Just put pic rails on rifles wich i have Rems ,savage,cz, and switch scopes go shoot.

I just finished a custom 300 win mag. I had the same questions you had. I was tossing around the ultralight, uni-mount, and one piece Nightforce steel base with nightforce steel rings. I decided to go with the 20moa 1 piece steel Nightforce base with nightforce medium steel rings. I personally don't like the look of the Uni-mount. Also, the one piece steel base with steel rings is as solid as they come. The little bit of extra weight is well worth it for a magnum gun. In addition, the base allows you more space to set eye relief and also attach levels or any gadgets to rail. In the end, do what you will be happy with. To me, I would rather have an extra heavy duty mounting system that I don't ever have to question.

I have a NF direct mount on my 7RM and it is great. No messing with rails or rings, this is a one-stop shop. They have 20MOA built in also.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm leaning towards the base and rings but I like how sleek the 1 piece mount looks. No worries with a base at all, but also like the idea of adding "stuff" to a rail down the road.