• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Colors?

lmhans4440

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
Bismarck, Nd
I read somwhere that Nightforce may be offering thier scopes in some new colors. I can't remember where I read it though. Does anybody have any more info?

Re: Nightforce Colors?

Dang, I missed the NF scopes in different colors and I WENT to their booth....I do remember the S&Bs in FDE/Tan & OD though. Nice.

Well, I called Nightforce yesterday and they told me they are giong to start a poll here soon to see how the colored scopes would be recieved. All he could tell me was they had 8 different colors in the works and one was OD. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a post from Ken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hans44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I called Nightforce yesterday and they told me they are giong to start a poll here soon to see how the colored scopes would be recieved. All he could tell me was they had 8 different colors in the works and one was OD. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a post from Ken. </div></div>

Brian told me the same thing a couple weeks ago. Will be interesting to see what happens.

All the above. I saw these at the Safari Club. They ARE sweet. The rep said they were thinking about offering them. I told him build they will sell. Unfortunatly I already bought my 2.5-10X32 Compact.

Talk to Ken about it. They had FDE, OD, and varying shades at SHOT on display. From what I gathered, they were trying to figure out which would be most popular.

FDE as long as it is more like the Burris color, and not the shiny gold that leupold claims is "flat dark earth".

OD would be cool too, but it's not my choice for my AO. I paint everything I own tan, so it'd be nice to just get a tan one right off the bat.

OD or FDE sound great. I just recently painted one of my older NF scopes. Hopefully, NF will have these available before too long, I will be in the market for one around the end of the year.

Man I hope they come out with the new colors and turrets soon. I need to upgrade some of optics and a NF is in my price range and needs.

I think OD would look very nice on their NXS line.

Every time i see an OD green USO i wish my NF had that sort of color

cans_2.jpeg

Still, it would be nice to be able to buy said scope in a prefered color to begin with rather than go to the effort yourself and potentially risk a screw up job...

Still, it would be nice to be able to buy said scope in a prefered color to begin with rather than go to the effort yourself and potentially risk a screw up job...

I never really liked the idea of getting a black tactical scope in the first place.

For use in camouflaging I was taught once; and still live by this, that its always easier to make lighter colors darker, than it is to make darker colors lighter.

Start with a good light base; tan, light brown, ect., and then add your darker colors that will be used in the environment. I find that shadows ends up adding the blacks s i stay away from adding those colors myself.

I saw the new anodized NF scopes at a show recently...samples of green, tan and grey.
The green and the tan looked sharp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never really liked the idea of getting a black tactical scope in the first place.</div></div>
I guess one the main reasons why most scopes (including tactical ones) start out black is that black anodizing of the tube is best at catching internal stray light. Black anodizing just happens to go well with optical systems.
In order to do colored anodizing right, the inside of the tube would have to be anodized black and the outside whatever other color, which should be associated with a lot of manual prep (masking) and thus expensive. The other option is putting some kind of matte paint on the inside of the tube, which may lead to crap getting on the lenses/reticle due to flaked particles.

Since in serious use scopes are not just painted, but painted <span style="font-style: italic">repeatedly</span> anyway, the color they start out with doesn't really seem to matter. Sobrbiker posted the professional anwer already.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still, it would be nice to be able to buy said scope in a prefered color to begin with rather than go to the effort yourself and potentially risk a screw up job... </div></div>

Very true. I had a USO SN3 that was ceracoated tan by the factory and it was great. Since I play on a one-way range color is just for fun anyway.

For camoflage if my life depended on it, I'd krylon anything to match the AO no matter what the object cost.......

I, too, stopped by the NF booth at SHOT. I specifically wanted to look at the 3.5-15x50 F1 (FFP) in person and ask them about alternative colors. I had OD in mind. The rep I spoke with pointed out the 2 colored scopes they had on display. One was silver and the other looked like rootbeer. If they consider that to be FDE someone either had the KoolAid sobrbiker mentions or they had mislabeled Crayolas to work from. He did say that they were evaluating what colors to offer based on potential sales. In addition, the very cool shot-clean-thru scope seen in their ads was on display. I wanted to sight through it but had a lot of ground to cover and not enough time to do it all in. Maybe next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never really liked the idea of getting a black tactical scope in the first place.</div></div>
I guess one the main reasons why most scopes (including tactical ones) start out black is that black anodizing of the tube is best at catching internal stray light. </div></div>

Good Info. I didnt know this, but it makes sense.