• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce=excellent. March=excellent with low weight. other scopes worth looking at?

Akhunter907

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2013
Love my nightforce. Love the March. I have the 2.5-25 second focal plane scope. March is my number one simply because of weight and the extended zoom range. Nightforce tho is brighter and just as solid. But again I'm comparing a 40 vs 50mm objective. Both great scopes. In need of another but funds are not going to support the new 52mm march. Any other "lightweight" scopes out there worth looking at? My current thought is another nightforce. But wanted to poll

Looking at the 5-20 mag range.

For what type of shooting? SFP/FFP? Needed travel and top end magnification? Something tells me this might be for another hunting rifle with the user name of yours...

For lightweight and on a budget, Leupold has some very good options but it all depends on reticle and turret preferences there. Used even better because folks read on the internet Leupold sucks and sell their NIB scopes for dirt cheap when they're more than sufficient.

And I'm probably not the only one that wishes the Nightforce SHV were lighter weight, but that's Nightforce build quality for you. Some awesome deals going around on those right now though through MHSA and Midway.

Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 might fit your bill, good magnification, fairly lightweight, excellent glass, seems to be getting some stellar reviews.

As mentioned above, depends on what the main use will be for. For hunting, stellar glass and lightweight-ness, it is really hard to top Swarovski. The Zeiss HD mentioned above would be great as well. Swaro, Zeiss, Lecia, Leupold, and S&B all make excellent lightweight hunting glass that can take the punishment of hard kicking magnums.... Pick your flavor : )

For lightweight tacticals, Leupold Mk6 or used Premier LT would probably fit the bill, depending on what you're doing with it.

I have a March F 3-24X 42mm nonilluminated for sale with accuracy first level and spacers for this 30mm scope to fit perfectly in a 34mm set of rings. FML-1 reticle. Worked perfectly for the last 1.5 years. Upgrading to the new Tangent Theta, which should be out soon! Asking $2000 shipped and insured :)

PS-PM me if you like some pictures.

I'll look at the scopes mentioned. I should not have mentioned hunting. Yes this scope will ride a hunting rig but 99% of the shooting I do is paper and steel. Paper out to 350 (range limitations) Steel out to however far we feel like walking.... So turrets get a lot of use, and solid repeatable turrets is my main requirement. SFP is all I have shot, like a MOA scope just because that's what my other 2 are.

Price, the new march is 2700 I think, so around the 2 mark is the range, any closer to that I'd just get the march..thanks

If you can find a Premier Light Tactical 3-15, I highly suggest that scope. I had one on my hunting rifle and sold it because I wanted a little more magnification. I regret that decision. It was an awesome scope! Maybe one day Tangent Theta will come off their ridiculous prices.

Leupold 3-18x44 is pretty light for its size. I have no serious complaints. The elevation turret has a small issue that does not affect performance. It has .1mil worth of "wiggle". It doesn't actually make any adjustments, but with the scope set at 4.3 mils, you can spin the turret to read 4.3 or 4.2, for example. I make a point to always spin "Up" to an adjustment. So if I back down, back below the mark, then go back up to it. It would be perfect if the elevation turret was the same design as the windage turret.

Otherwise it holds zero, tracks, mil is a mil and turrets match reticle etc. Clarity is on par with NF 3.5-15, side by side. Nothing I can see with one that I can't with the other.

How about the SWFA 5-20X50? That is also a fairly light scope that would be in your price range. Or maybe the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50? The Sightron 6-24x50 might be worth a look too; it weighs the same as the March.

Last edited: