• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce F1 eye relief?

vereceleritas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2010
TX
I was looking through Nightforce's 2011 catalog today and noticed on the specifications page that the 3.5-15x F1 and 3.5-15x50 were not the same. The F1 has a smaller exit pupil and less eye relief but a larger field of view. I had assumed that the F1 had the same optical formula as the regular 3.5-15 except for the reticle plane but I guess not. I'm kind of concerned about the reduced eye relief because I wear glasses, 3.15" vs 3.9". Anyone have problems with the eye relief on the F1? Would like to hear some first hand experiences before I commit to buying a F1 MLR2.

Re: Nightforce F1 eye relief?

I wear glasses too from time to time when I shoot and I haven't had a problem with the eye relief on my NF F1's. The new F1's with the HS turrets and MLR2 reticle are exceptionally good for the money, you won't be sorry going with that scope.

I've looked through both here at the store and can't tell any difference either. I did have a friend of mine who bought one tell me he thought it had a wider field of view. Never heard anyone complain about the eye relief on a NF. You will love the scope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be Honest Brother, I have one of each both 3.5X15 NXS ( one F1 and one SFP) and I can't tell the difference </div></div>

Same here..

I just ordered a F1 3-15x MLR2... I looked at several websites and they were all on backorder so they are beyond popular right now. From the folks I've talked with, everyone loves everything about the F1. The only complaints I've heard are from people who got the SFP models and wished that they had gone with the FFP F1. It's just faster if you are doing UKD in a timed event.

I received a new 3.5-15 F1 with the MLR2 reticle a couple weeks ago. I also have a 3.5-15x50 (F2) and 5.5-22x50, both with the MLR reticle. Having had the new F1 out to the range several times now, I can tell you I'm really digging the MLR2 reticle. It has exceptionally good balance of line thickness IMO, being slightly heavier (thicker) than the MLR. At 15x, the MLR2 crosshairs do occlude slightly more area than does the MLR, but it's really a very minor difference. The biggest difference to me has been the sight picture with this reticle under conditions of low light just before dusk, when you're trying to get those last few rounds downrange. My aging eyes have some difficulty with the MLR reticle under those conditions, whereas the MLR2 is very crisp and clear.

As far as the eye relief, I'm with everyone above. I did not notice any difference between my F1 and F2.

Thanks for the responses guys. This helps ease my mind about it.

The thickness in appearance of the MLR2 vs. MLR is related to FFP vs. SFP between your two NF scopes.

IIRC the MLR2 is actually a hair thinner than the original MLR reticle.

Although I can appreciate that the apparent difference in line thickness of the two reticles may be increased by the effect of F1 vs F2, in fact, the thicknesses <span style="font-style: italic">are</span> different. Line thickness of the MLR is .093 MOA @ 22x for the 5.5-22 and 0.13 MOA @ 15x for the 3.5-15 F2 scopes. Line thickness for the MLR2 is 0.16 MOA. It may seem like .03 MOA is a pretty small increase in line thickness, but to me, the difference is noticeable, particularly when I look through my 3.5-15 F1 (MLR2 reticle) and 3.5-15 F2 (MLR reticle) side by side @ 15x. I had my 5.5-22x50 (MLR reticle) at the range the other day along with the new F1 MLR2. To my eyes (which admittedly are getting much worse as I get older), the difference in those two reticles is huge, particularly on a cloudy day. YMMV.

Guys, are you comfortable shooting out to 1,000 with the 3.5-15 F1? I'm going to pull the plug on a new scope for a precision bolt gun tomorrow and I'm hoping that 15X will do it for .308 from what I know it should be fine, but figured I'd ask those with experience with this model since it has the first focal plane reticle and that may change the game a bit. thanks much for any intel.

It'll work for 1000 yards and then some. I've used my F1's to a grand multiple times and never once felt handicapped by the 15X top end.

I was at the rifle course at RiflesOnly, and almost everyone had a 15x max scope. Although it worked well, it was at a disadvantage at 1k yards over the 22x scopes. However, the FFP on the 15x was worth the lower magnification in that application.

I just ordered an 8-32x56 NXS for my 338LM. I wanted the extra magnification in case I ever get the chance to shoot 2k. :)