• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce F1 vs Nightforce NXS 5.5-22

sageebr24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
East TN
Ok here I am again wondering about optics just the other day I thought i knew what I wanted but i did a lot of research and found out some things I didn't like about my other options. I've had NF products before and always liked them but I've only owned the NXS 3-15 so my question is, is the 3-15 F1 worth the price difference from a 5.5-22? I mean I've heard the glass is alot better in the F1 but you can find 5.5-22 for around 400 bucks cheaper? Is the glass 400 bucks better to have 7 less power? I can only get around 700 yards to shoot so the 15 power would be enough (but can you actually ever have enough power)? Thanks for the help again.

It isn't about the glass, it's about the location of the reticle and whether it's FFP or SFP.

If you ever do hold overs for either bullet drop or windage, the FFP easily beats the SFP. The reticle size changes as you zoom in and out to always be a constant size in relation to the target.

If you dial in all your corrections, then the SFP might suit you better, since it'll give you more magnification and is cheaper.

Personally, I don't see any issue with hitting out to 700 yards with a 3-15.

What's your intended use?
If you ever shoot any timed events, from F-Class to "tactical" matches, the F1 will shine beyond your 700 yds, since with FFP you can dial down mag for mirage or wider field of view without recalculating your holds. With SFP, you'd probably dial to x11 to get .5 reticle values, but i hate math and my brain farts enough already as is...
Just ask yourself realistically, what are you gonna shoot and how? If just lazy plinking, x22 SFP could work, but you will not regret the FFP F1 if time ever counts...

Thanks I knew about the FFP but I've actually read a lot that the F1 actually has better glass to is that true?

I'm no help--never peeked thru a 5x22. Are you lookin at the 50mm or 56mm NXS--maybe someone will chime in on brightness?
Like any fool, I can tell the glass is nicer in my 10x42 zeiss binos than in my 10x36 nikons, but i doubt i could tell much difference between a 50mm F1 and NXS.
You can't go wrong here--at least you've got 700 yards to reach down there! Just choose based on the type of shooting you expect? Good luck!

Lots of good advice already given above. I will say that 15X is enough to see and hit targets out to past 1K easily. I was using a 3.5-15X50 NXS SFP in the Hide Cup and did alright with it. Many 1st round hits out to 800 yards, and pretty small targets for the distances as well. I'll be using an F1 here shortly but have not been able to compare the glass difference yet.

Geb

Thanks for the info I will probably go with the F1 for FFP. I had originally thought about a Premier but read a lot of articles where people had issues with turrets binding especially the parallax turret. Made me a little gun shy about a Premier.

Those Premier issues were a long time ago. You'd be we'll served with a Premier. Having said that, pretty sure you won't be disappointed with an F1. I suggest the mlr2 reticle. My favorite reticle of all reticles.

Thats what I was going to go with in a reticle choice also. I've never used that reticle but it looked like it wasn't to busy.