• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce F1 worth $900 more than the Leupold M5?

jlficken

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2006
Aurora, NE
I know the Nightforce vs Leupold subject has been beaten to death here but I am really torn on this. I have previously owned a Mark 4 3.5-10x40 M3 and really only sold it because I wanted matching turrets. After getting a SS 10X HD and while it is a great scope I missed the variable I had before.

Also, I traded off the rifle and am trying to go a bit lighter on the new one (Remington 700P).

I know that Leupold's reputation has suffered as of late but can anyone tell me the following (specifically pertaining to the M5 would be nice but all Mark 4 feedback is welcome) :

1) Are the Mark 4 scopes still made in the USA?
2) Have you personally seen any reticles that are canted and if so were they fixed without complaint?
3) Have you had any tracking issues with your Mark 4?

I am having a hard time paying the extra when I don't need illumination nor the zero stops that the NXS offers. I would like to but that is basically what I paid for the rifle so it is a rather large difference to me.

ETA: It would have been a $1K difference but I gave the F1 a $100 credit for having rings.

Re: Nightforce F1 worth $900 more than the Leupold M5?

Yes it is worth the extra money! I've owned 3 M IV's.

You get better glass,more durability,10 mil knobs,zero stop and illume.

My next choice would be a IOR 3.5-18x50.The newest generation have been 100%.I've owned the 6-24x56FFP for over a year.Great scope.

The new SS 5-20 is quite a value.No track record to speak of yet because it's only been in peoples hands a few weeks.

It wasn't worth the difference to me. I bought a Leupold MK4 M5 8.5-25X50 ER/T and have been very happy with the scope. I like both scopes but the Leupold to me gave me more for my dollar. The TMR reticle works very well with the FFP design of the ER/T scopes. I have used Leupolds at work in some pretty nasty places and never had any problems, I am confident my M5 will survive its tour of duty on the one way range back home.

Older 4-14 mk4

1) yes
2) yes sent back 2x it's still a bit canted but not CANTED like it was before.
3) clicks are a little off but within tolerances & it comes back to zero

Nice scope but not 1500 nice especially when I compare it side by side with my IOR 3-18 that retails for the same $$$ as the FFP version of the leupie.

Also the F1 NF is 2100bucks; where are you getting the "1k" more than a FFP leupie?

edit: if you like 2.5-10's what about the IOR and Nightforce models? Have you looked at either one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having a hard time paying the extra when I don't need illumination nor the zero stops that the NXS offers.</div></div>Forget about features; look no further than the erector spring.

I say just get the NF. (but I'm biased towards NF)

Also the "it's what I paid for the rifle" statement really holds no water what so ever. Just buy what you can afford or spend the extra on what you want. If you need to question the cost then maybe it's not the "right" scope or rifle for you.

The cost of the rifle really has no relevance on the cost of the scope. But it's the easiest to blame for the "I blew all my budget on the rifle... now I need a scope" crowd.

I could go on and on but wont. Just trying to shed a new perspective that's all.

Get the NF if you're comfortable with spending the extra, if not then the Leupold will do.

I will never own another MK4 again. Mine had absolutely horrible glass quality, parallax issues, terrible eye relief/ eye box shift and the stupid fucking illum battery went dead about twice a week because the switch wouldnt stay off if slightly bumped. And, the open center on the TMR reticle SUCKS!

I HATED that scope. Worst piece of crap I ever bought. Sold it bought a NF. Big improvement. I now run S&B 5-25's on both my rifles. May as well do it right the first time.

How hard are you going to really be on this scope? Will you be cranking on the turrets 20-30 times a session? Are you shooting run/gun matches or just bench shooting? How often are you shooting?

My .02 is if you want it and have the money, get it. It's an investment, but remember that in two years something else will be out. If you are just shooting a few times a month on a square range, then get the Leupold and spend the extra on reloading gear or ammo. There is also the Vortex Razor and as mentioned the SS 5-20HD.. heck, even the PST or Weaver offerings are getting decent reviews. Lots of options, just depends on the need and how deep your pockets are..

In my opinion you get more than illumination and zero stop with the NF. Add to that better glass and better feeling turrets. Again this is just my personal experience and opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Again, like it was said earlier if you have to find a reason to justify your purchase of the NF then maybe you shouldn't get it?

I can tell you this. If you do happen to scoop up the NF, it's not like you're gonna be behind your rifle wishing you had gotten the Leupold instead. BUT (and I'm just saying), if you get the Leupold there might be a slight chance you'll be behind your rifle one day wondering if you should have just gotten that NF to begin with... hehe.

There is it easier for you now? (kidding)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having a hard time paying the extra when I don't need illumination nor the zero stops that the NXS offers.</div></div>Forget about features; look no further than the erector spring.</div></div>

Could you elaborate more on this?

You have all pretty much convinced me to go F1. It will take awhile but I won't ever have to go "what if". I don't shoot it a ton but when I do I like things to just work and hate having buyers remorse.

The NF F1 has more adjustment, gets you to 1000 yards in one revolution ( with many calibers), has a zero stop so you will never get lost, the MLR2 reticle is an awesome reticle, the NXS has a great reputation for repeatability and durability. The FFP means you will never make the mistake of ranging on the wrong power. My biggest complaint with the Leupold is the eye relief changes quite a bit between low and high power. I have used many Leupolds and they work just fine,there are just too many reasons why the Nightforce makes life easier on the shooter. I wish Leupold would refine there scopes just a little bit and than the choice would be a little tougher, but for now to me it is a no brainer, Nightforce F1 hands down.

Nightforce by far.
smile.gif

This is easy. Nightforce is the better scope.

Leupold should be punished for sitting on their hands while much smaller players introduce scopes costing less, with more features. Mind boggling!

With their manufacturing and design resources, there is no reason why they should not be dominating. What a shame.

I'm sure you are all right about getting the NF.

I'll just have to start saving for one. The rifle sitting unused for a year won't kill me. I'll just put it to the back of the safe so I don't have to look at it all of the time
smile.gif

Maybe I can get a couple of things I don't use sold so that I can move up the purchase time frame.

Here is some info on the NF NEW FFP.
http://www.cstactical.com/Magazine/SHOT-SHOW/SHOT-SHOW-BLOG-2011/Nightforce-New-MLR2-Reticle.html

Here is a video on the Leupold Mark 4 M5 I use. I have been really happy with the Leupold Mark 4 M5 I also have a MK4 M5 Locking turret on the way to me for T&E.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
I feel whatever one you go with you will like.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will never own another MK4 again. Mine had absolutely horrible glass quality, parallax issues, terrible eye relief/ eye box shift and the stupid fucking illum battery went dead about twice a week because the switch wouldnt stay off if slightly bumped. And, the open center on the TMR reticle SUCKS!

I HATED that scope. Worst piece of crap I ever bought. Sold it bought a NF. Big improvement. I now run S&B 5-25's on both my rifles. May as well do it right the first time.

41 </div></div>

NF is a beeter scope by far than a Leupold in my expereince and S&B is better than NF is low light I recently purchased a 4-16X50 S&B PM11 from the classifieds for 2500 shipped. IMHO the S&B is a deal at 400 above the NF F1

Hard to beat the Leupold with m5 turrets and FFP on a mil discount.

I am/was in the same boat and decided on the 6.5-20x Mark 4 FFP/m5. I wanted the extra magnification and FFP. NF doesn't offer FFP at that magnification and the F1 is roughly $900-$1000 more anyways (No idea what NF mil discount is). I'm not convinced that *I* would benefit from the extra money spent. Perhaps others are.

If I were going to go cheaper, I'd probably get another Bushnell (maybe a PST) and if more expensive, probably the NF...especially if I felt that I needed ZeroStop. Heck, I'm fairly certain the Bushnell 4200 that I picked up on closeout for $550 will allow me to hit a target just as well as either the Leupy or NF.

Each to their own.