• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce fail?

hgoody

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Maine
I was at Cabela's this weekend and had my first look through an NF. I think I'm loosing my mind because the Nikon glass seemed better. The NF was pretty hazy compared to the Nikon and very unexpected against all the reviews they get. I had the counter guy clean the glass, but that didn't help. I had him compare the two and he agreed with me that the Nikon glass was better.

Anyone else seen this before!? maybe it was just a bad one?

Re: Nightforce fail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgoody</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Anyone else seen this before!? maybe it was just a bad one? </div></div>

I haven't seen a bad one yet.

Did the Nikon have better turrets than the NF?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are adjustments, like the side focus and the diopter that someone likley messed with. </div></div>

You should go back and take another look, unless of course you're advertising Nikon!

Sam
smirk.gif

you have to adjust the dioptic adjustment for the reticle and the parallax as well. florescent light doesn't tell the tale, you need natural lighting,

Nikon is probably pretty good glass itself.

My brother has an S&B and a Nightforce and they are both comparable to my eyes, and I would say they are better than Nikon by a bit. The reticle quality is superb in NF and S&B for instance.

Leupold on the other hand looks like crap compared to either S&B or NF, and Leupold is my brand of choice, more for affordability than for any other reason.

It's obvious there is more competition in various industries as time goes on.

I covet the Nightforce- it's a good scope and not overly heavy and bulky like S&B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Leupold on the other hand looks like crap compared to either S&B or NF, and Leupold is my brand of choice, more for affordability than for any other reason.</div></div>

Hmmm, you should really look into Vortex PSTs and SWFA Super Snipers then.

I will say this. We are all built differently. I am sure there are people out there who's vision is not acute enough to discern a difference between high and low end rifle scopes. It's not a dig on anyone. It's just the truth. It's also true that most of us do not have our eyes checked as often as we probably should. I have spent most of my life with better than 20/20 vision. I take that for granted sometimes.

Perceived glass quality is subjective to ones eye site a lot. I have 20/13 vision and to me nikon and leupold are decent. Vortex psr I've used is decent with zeiss conquest having the best glass in the $1k range. The nightforce 5.5-22 I've got to use a little seems to have glass on par with the $1k scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will say this. We are all built differently. I am sure there are people out there who's vision is not acute enough to discern a difference between high and low end rifle scopes. It's not a dig on anyone. It's just the truth. It's also true that most of us do not have our eyes checked as often as we probably should. I have spent most of my life with better than 20/20 vision. I take that for granted sometimes.
</div></div>

You are still young my friend. Protect your eyes.

If you don't adjust the paralax and focus the reticle to your eye,the finest scope in the world will be "hazy" ????

This whole time its been a big marketing scam and the part time cabelas counter guy has spilled the beans to the public. Bet the optic for sale section gets flooded with used NF scopes in the next 48.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff1383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This whole time its been a big marketing scam and the part time cabelas counter guy has spilled the beans to the public. Bet the optic for sale section gets flooded with used NF scopes in the next 48.</div></div>

Hahahaha! I did adjust the the scope to my eyes. I'm not foolish enough not to when comparing glass. I was indoor but since all the glass I looked through was under the same conditions I don't think that really matters. I did like the nightforce for all it had, turrets especially. I just didn't know if anyone had seen something like this before. My thought is that it's just a bad scope and I should look through a few more NF.

Some people see things differently than others. I'm not sure how a astigmatism affects the way you see through a optic ([which I have) but when we did a resolution test with several high end, some good mid end, and along with falcon menace being the bottom. I was able to see the same line with all of them. There were a couple that seemed a little brighter to me than the others but as far as clarity and resolution they were all the same (for me). The brightest best picture for me was not the $3,000.00 S&B. For me it boils down more to durability, reticle options, mil/mil, turrets, eye box etc.

I guess my point is not everyone sees things the same. I know of the scopes we tested some of them had "better glass" than the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgoody</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff1383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This whole time its been a big marketing scam and the part time cabelas counter guy has spilled the beans to the public. Bet the optic for sale section gets flooded with used NF scopes in the next 48.</div></div>

Hahahaha! I did adjust the the scope to my eyes. I'm not foolish enough not to when comparing glass. I was indoor but since all the glass I looked through was under the same conditions I don't think that really matters. I did like the nightforce for all it had, turrets especially. I just didn't know if anyone had seen something like this before. My thought is that it's just a bad scope and I should look through a few more NF. </div></div>
It does matter. It is pretty widely speculated that some manufactures uses lens coatings that are optimized for florescent lighting. NF's are not. While I have never been a huge "fan" of NF glass, you will see a huge difference in natural light, and especially in low-light conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It does matter. It is pretty widely speculated that some manufactures uses lens coatings that are optimized for florescent lighting. NF's are not. While I have never been a huge "fan" of NF glass, you will see a huge difference in natural light, and especially in low-light conditions.</div></div>

well...speculation or not, i see your point. hard to find an everyday dealer willing to let you take glass outside around here though. not many people dropping that kinda cash on glass in ME, at least not in my part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im thinking there is something amiss in the drinking water in Maine.</div></div>
I know this is supposed to be funny, and it is. I had a good laugh, lol. But seriously there is. myself and most people I know are on wells and have high levels of iron and manganese in their water. can't drink mine, won't even give it to my dog.