• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Love...

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Ok, just got my 5.5-22x56 NF scope and WOW! I mean at first I kept asking why anyone would pay so much for a scope...and now I'm thinking that my gun may be an accessory to my beautiful NF vs the other way around. Such a bute that I thought about getting a display case and putting it on the fireplace mantle for all the world to see. Of course, it just wouldn't be fair to keep the NF away from its natural habitat, so I suppose I'll mount it to my DTA 338LM when it arrives.

So what other things am I missing out on? BORS? LAM? Something else??????

Re: Nightforce Love...

Congrats on your new toy . I was the same way untill I got my first one . Then I got another one and am looking at a third soon .

Your upgrading has only started
laugh.gif

It's only gonna get worse ............trust me !

Me two I bought a NF and was thinking the same thing, that's allot of money for a scope. Worth every penny though and I would recommend them to anyone, glad I bought the NF my buddy has a Mark 4 and that's what he suggested and now he wishes he had a NF. I wouldn't be suprised if he upgrades in the near future, lol...

I thought the same thing. I thought "Who would ever spend $1600 on a tube of glass? That's FOUR complete Glocks!".

A year later. Proud owner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So what other things am I missing out on? BORS? LAM? Something else?????? </div></div>

Ammo....

Don't you dare look through a USO. I did, now I wish I hadn't. (Damn You Olin!)

-Formally addicted to NF-

Congrats by the way. NF rocks.

Keithr41

got 3 workin on more, i need to stay away from uso otherwise i have a bad feeling more $$$ will be spent...

I just got my first 5.5x22x50 and ordered a second one a week later.....

I hear you on the USO. Those sure do look purdy:) If I recall, they're twice the cost though, so for now I'll save the $$$ and use it to buy my next DTA (HTI) rifle. Of course, once I step up from the DTA SRS 338 to the DTA HTI 375 or 50BMG (hmmm...maybe both)...I may reconsider putting a paltry 1600 scope on an 8000 gun.

Great scopes - got a little bit of everything but I like the NF best. Did make the mistake a while back of looking through the USO - now I've got the gear turning of how to get one of those too.

Lick that NF scope and officially make it yours!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Cordrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's only gonna get worse ............trust me ! </div></div>

At some point, I think you just called it disasterous.

Hard to go wrong with a NF. They are excellent scopes and the company is good to deal with also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my first 5.5x22x50 and ordered a second one a week later.....</div></div>

Quick note..its 5.5-22x, otherwise it would be a really HUGE scope!

ok I apologize if this answer is already up somewhere I know I will be buying a NXS when I get home but I don't know if I should get the 3.5-15x50 5.5-22x50 or the 5.5-22x 55. The scope will be going on a 5r milspec 308 for the time being. My plan is that in a year or two I can uprade to a GAP rifle and switch the scope over at which time I will probabally also make the leap to 300WM. What are ppls thoughts on this, my only concern is the 56mm looking like a telescope on that rifle. With a 50 is the exit pupil big enough?

I have a NightForce 3-15x50 NXS w/ NP-R1 reticle and love it! Very solid scope.

Im in the process of buying another one, the 22x NXS for a .300WM build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vanguard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok I apologize if this answer is already up somewhere I know I will be buying a NXS when I get home but I don't know if I should get the 3.5-15x50 5.5-22x50 or the 5.5-22x 55. The scope will be going on a 5r milspec 308 for the time being. My plan is that in a year or two I can uprade to a GAP rifle and switch the scope over at which time I will probabally also make the leap to 300WM. What are ppls thoughts on this, my only concern is the 56mm looking like a telescope on that rifle. With a 50 is the exit pupil big enough?</div></div>

The 5.5-22 to me, is the perfect "all around" mag. I have the x56 and it looks a bit big, but nothing "ridiculously" big. I posted some in the gallery, "Tactical Trinity".

I have shot Leupold for years. I just recently got a NF 3.5-15X50 with zero stop and MLR. I love this scope and now I truly see the difference. I still like Leupold but I like my NF better.

I have a 5.5-22x56 on order. Currently running a Leupold Mark 4 on two different rifles. Can't wait to see the difference. Probably end up wanting to upgrade from the sounds of things here. Oh my wallet...

I love my Nightforce 5.5x22x50 NP-R1 on my GAP AR10

optics are super clear

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear you on the USO. Those sure do look purdy:) If I recall, they're twice the cost though, so for now I'll save the $$$ and use it to buy my next DTA (HTI) rifle. Of course, once I step up from the DTA SRS 338 to the DTA HTI 375 or 50BMG (hmmm...maybe both)...I may reconsider putting a paltry 1600 scope on an 8000 gun. </div></div>

You won't be hurt by mounting a NF. I was a loyal Leupold fan for over 20 years, then starting selling them off in multiples to buy S&B. I had a small fortune invested in three S&Bs but had ten rifles requiring optics. I tried a NF 5.5-22x50 NXS and it fit my needs. I sold the S&Bs and the rest of the Leupolds and now own ten NF NXS scopes. I still have a small fortune invested but now have great optics on all ten rifles for about half the cost of 10 S&Bs. Maybe avoided a divorce as well.
laugh.gif

I think that the NF NXS is a great scope for the price point.

I still can't make up my mind I've discarded the idea of the 56mm so its between the 3.5-15x50 or the 5.5-22x50 I guess I just need to wait till I get home and look through them in person. I've been beating this horse to death for the past couple weeks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, just got my 5.5-22x56 NF scope and WOW! I mean at first I kept asking why anyone would pay so much for a scope...and now I'm thinking that my gun may be an accessory to my beautiful NF vs the other way around. Such a bute that I thought about getting a display case and putting it on the fireplace mantle for all the world to see. Of course, it just wouldn't be fair to keep the NF away from its natural habitat, so I suppose I'll mount it to my DTA 338LM when it arrives.

So what other things am I missing out on? BORS? LAM? Something else??????</div></div>

I wouldn't drop dough on a BORS unless you have too much cash

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vanguard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok I apologize if this answer is already up somewhere I know I will be buying a NXS when I get home but I don't know if I should get the 3.5-15x50 5.5-22x50 or the 5.5-22x 55. The scope will be going on a 5r milspec 308 for the time being. My plan is that in a year or two I can uprade to a GAP rifle and switch the scope over at which time I will probabally also make the leap to 300WM. What are ppls thoughts on this, my only concern is the 56mm looking like a telescope on that rifle. With a 50 is the exit pupil big enough?</div></div>

56 is not too big by any means. If you want to stay low profile, go with the 50. If you want that extra little bit of light (i really cannot tell the difference) go with the 56.

Vanguard, for hunting, perhaps the 3.5 is the way to go. I have one on my all purpose Colt AR. All else, I'd say the 5.5. I have the 3.5X, 5.5X, and the 8X but, overall, the 5.5 is my favorite scope.

If you have friends back home with both, try to shoot with each before you spend the bucks. Thanks for your service and stay safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you dare look through a USO. I did, now I wish I hadn't. (Damn You Olin!)

-Formally addicted to NF-

Congrats by the way. NF rocks.

Keithr41 </div></div>

I feel the same way about my Zeiss Victory,but I just ordered a NF 2.5-10x32 for my AR,still love NF.

OK, you Nightforce lovers...I'm going to be getting a 5.5-22 with zero stop. Should I get the 50 or 56mm and why. Will be mounted on a TRG-22. Primary use will be target shooting paper and steel up to 1000 yards but mostly to 600 or less. I'm leaning towards MLR/MIL. Your input appreciated.

56 lets more light in, I dont see why someone would not want the brightest picture possible, unless they want a smaller obj due to weight for a hunting rig...
Id go MLR/Mil. good setup ya got there!
I personally got a 50mm obj, but thats because I got a huge deal here on the hide for a brand new scope...

For prone, sitting and rifle rest long distance shooting, would go with 5.5-22x56. The 56mm objective is not significantly bigger than 50mm, and only a few ounces heavier. Lowlight shooting is much better with 56mm objective.

For hunting, would go with one of Nightforce's compact models. For example, 2.5-10x32. And of course a lighter rifle.

Also for long distance shooting I prefer 5.5-22x over 3.5-15x. The extra mag is nice for target identification. At 100-150 yards I can see my target bullet holes at 22x. At 200 yards, I can't see target bullet holes unless I use shot-n-see target. I think that tells you how clear the Nightforce lens are, and the quality of their scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, you Nightforce lovers...I'm going to be getting a 5.5-22 with zero stop. Should I get the 50 or 56mm and why. Will be mounted on a TRG-22. Primary use will be target shooting paper and steel up to 1000 yards but mostly to 600 or less. I'm leaning towards MLR/MIL. Your input appreciated.</div></div>

Go with the 56. MLR/mil is good too, but so is the NP-R1/MOA. Your preference.

hey appreciate your guys imput and kind words...still undecided, still leaning towards the 3.5-15, I know that 99& of the shooting I do with it will be done at targets but 22x just seems i little extreme to me. Im used to shooting with a eo-tech lol

I went with the NP-R1/MOA. 5.5-22x56

I have the NF 3.5-15x56. It is a great scope and out to 1000 yards, which is what your current gun will hit it is plenty.

I have loved this scopes quality, light, and clarity. I will be up grading down the road, because I have started a build on a .338 Lapua Mag. It is rumored that NF will have a FFP in the 5.5-22x56 soon, so that is gonna go on that gun.

For a .308, the 15 power is more than enough. Also, if you are gonna use the gun for hunting still, going over 3.5 power on the low end could be very costly. I use my .308 for deer also. Its heavy but its deadly.

Good Luck

I use the NF's and S&B's. I prefer the 50 mm to the 56, cannot see any difference but size of the scope, and I do carry my rifles.
The now discontinued 2.5-10x24 was the best NF of all and 10X is plenty to 1000 M. Might not be the best to shoot sub .25 moa groups. I know this is not a popular postion, but JMO. With the 2.5-10x24 you had no focus to fool with. Nicer in the field. Another great scope for practical use is the USMC S&B 3-12x50. Most of the guys I know that use more than these are not using them as rough and tumble outdoor scopes. Bench shooters, bipod shooters etc. In the field, without a bipod, 10-12x is plenty. I will admit though that I seldom shoot over 800 M. I shoot to that range alot though. Also most NV is only set for up to 10 or 12 power. JMO

I made the mistake of taking my Rem 700 Milspec 5R to my gunsmith on Friday to shave a little around the trigger so my jewell will fit the AICS 2.0 I just bought. He WAS a huge NF fan. He made the mistake of telling me he had never looked through a S&B. So, when I dropped off the rifle, I made a point of showing him the 5-25X56 PMII sitting on it. He took it out back of the shop and had a look. He was on the phone trying to get a vendor deal with S&B Friday when I left his shop lol

I have 3 NXS series with NP-R1's. I had a 3.5-15x56 MLR and traded it for the NP-R1. Nothing against the glass or the reticle, I just decided to stay all MOA instead of having something else to keep in mind when shooting.

I have 2 of the 3.5-15x50's and a 5.5-22x50. A close friend just got a 5.5-22x56 and we're planning to do a side by side comparison to see if any visible difference is discernable with the larger objective.

I don't use any of the 3 for hunting scopes, although the thing that I miss the most in my 3-9x50 Conquest is the illuminated reticle. The glass quality in the NF's is excellent, to my eye, the Zeiss glass is better. For a "pack around the field" rifle the weight of the Zeiss makes more sense to me and I find the 8lb all up weight of my M7 in 7 SAUM is much easier to hunt with than a 12lb tactical rifle, even if the recoil is more abusive from the lighter rifle, I'm not pounding ammo downrange.

My eyesight is decent, on a crisp background without mirage I can resolve 30 caliber holes at 500yd with the 22x, on a "mirage-y" day it limits me to about 300yd. With 15x, I'm hard pressed to see 6.5mm holes at 300yd, but 7's I can just barely make out.

No doubt the scopes are worth what you pay for them.

I have two 12-42x56 NP-R1 rets. and love them that's all I will buy.
At 100 yards hunting I still have a huge sight picture and although when I am shooting targets or steel I rarely shoot on 42 power even past 1000 yards any movement you will notice and you will pick up more of a mirage unless shooting early morning when the thermals are at there lowest.

But damn it sure saves alot of footsteps when shooting paper at a 1000 yards just crank it up see what ya got and keep shooting
wink.gif

Don't hear alot about them on the hide much ??

I heard someone else say.... and it makes a lot of sense. You will use the 15-22 a lot more than you will use the 3.5-5.5. $0.02

You guys are privileged, in my country in addition to legislation to be extremely rigid for those who want to legally own guns, we still have taxes (Brazil and one of the countries of the world where you collect the higher taxes). NF in a new market, with cost documentation reaches 3k, here in Brazil.

Although it possesses numerous years Leupold's, I sold them all! Now I have NFs (02 benchrest and 02 S&B PMII), I have shot with both and can not say whether there is much difference between them (of course has the price). I like a lot of my NF and they have given me much pleasure.

Actions speak louder than words

Abraham Lincoln

Vanguard

I shoot the 11-22 range on my 5.5-22 a lot more than I shoot the 5.5-11 range. With the 3.5-15 I spend almost all the shooting time in the 10-15 range and find myself wishing for more magnification sometimes.

On a day with a decent amount of mirage, neither scope is overly useful past 12-15x so that's kind of a wash under those conditions.

If I were to walk into a store and buy another one right now I'd probalby go for another 5.5-22 and then turn it down to 11x if I needed less magnification.

Just like in building things, you can always take material off but it's much harder to put it back on. Same with the magnification.

Well that about settles it guess Im getting the 5.5-22x50. I'd like to have the 3.5 in case I did take it hunting but I guess Im asking too much. Also decided to pick up a AICS. To all those who offered advice, appreciate it.