• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Mil-Dot or MLR

chawk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
I've got an opportunity to pick up a 5.5-22x56 NXS. It has Mil turrets and a mil-dot reticle. I had been planning to pick up a Mil turret/MLR reticle scope but this one with the Mil-Dot is a pretty good deal.

Any reason NOT to go with a Mil-Dot scope if it saves a few dollars over an MLR? I tried to use the search but couldn't find much of anything comparing the mil-dot to MLR, although it does seem most are going with the MLR.

Thanks.

Re: Nightforce Mil-Dot or MLR

Reticle is a sort of a personal thing. There is nothing wrong with a mildot, it is very functional and very useful and my primary optic is just a plain mildot.

That being said my primary optic is a Hensoldt 4-16ffp. I looove this scope, I love everything about it except for the reticle. For my uses I find i like a reticle with at least .5 mil hash marks, I like a thin reticle but not invisible. While the mildot has been a good performer for a long time IMO there are better options out there and it will come down to what you like best.

Thing with optics (at least for me) is there is nothing on the market which satisfies all my wants. I always have to give something up to get something else. good luck with your search.

Im with the others on the MLR. I just got a 5.5x22 MLR /Mil knobs from Euro Optics for $1400.00. I could not pass it up for the $. I like it better than the dots. It can be used for more precise ranging and holdovers.

I use a mil-dot reticle and like it for my 2.5-10x24 & 2.5-10x32 scopes. Initially, ,I thought I wanted a fancy MLR-type reticle. But reality for me is I rarely range anything when a range-finder is in my pocket. PLUS the standard mildot is very easy to see in low-light and when hunting in the woods. Not sure about the MLR, but there have been some surprised folks who went hunting and could not see their reticles in the low light.

Reactions: shootist~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a mil-dot reticle and like it for my 2.5-10x24 & 2.5-10x32 scopes. Initially, ,I thought I wanted a fancy MLR-type reticle. But reality for me is I rarely range anything when a range-finder is in my pocket. PLUS the standard mildot is very easy to see in low-light and when hunting in the woods. Not sure about the MLR, but there have been some surprised folks who went hunting and could not see their reticles in the low light. </div></div>

Prefer the MLR as I do routinely range with my reticle, but as Scooter said the standard MilDot is easier to see in low light....dang, glad all NXS's are lit.

Reactions: Itsadryheat

Thanks for all the replies. I will likely give it a try. All other things equal, i think i would prefer the MLR, but the Mil-Dot will hopefully work for me.

Any other input anyone has would still be appreciated.

Having both I greatly prefer the MLR. If its a good deal- jump on it. If you dont like the Mildot, its only a trip and some cash to Orofino, ID for a reticle change.

7mmRM, Thanks for the input. I sure wish i would have been quick enough to get one of those non zero-stop MLR/MilRad 5.5-22x56's from EuroOptic for 1400.00. I missed the window of opportunity on that one, so i'm thinking about trying the Mil-Dot. If i don't like it, i could always have it switched out like you say.

One other question for anyone that knows... Are the compact nighhtforce scopes the only ones that have the windage limiter feature? If so, does that mean upgrading to zero stop on a 5.5-22 only gives you a stop on the elevation turret, and the windage turret is just a standard one?

Thanks

Make sure you you call eurooptics. I was looking at the scame scope and waited. Then went back online and they were listed as sold out. I called and they still had some

I vote a MLR.

4040749110_c8e6dce2f7.jpg

My .02cents: MLR, because it's the closest thing to a TMR reticle (my favorite) that NF makes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote a MLR.

4040749110_c8e6dce2f7.jpg
</div></div>

Nice camo: looks like its meant to be used.

Thanks again to everyone for the input.

I am convinced the MLR is the better choice, but I went ahead and got the Mil-Dot. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money for a different reticle at this point. My thinking is that if i like the Mil-Dot well enough (which i believe i will) I'm way ahead. If i don't like it, i can send it back to nightforce to have it switched to MLR and still be a bit under what the best deal i can currently find on a MLR version would cost me. Win/Win.

This will be my first Nightforce scope so i am anxious to get my hands on it and try it out. Thanks again.

I got out this weekend to try the new nightforce NXS with mil-dot. I've got to say I am all around thrilled with this scope. I have no doubt the MLR is a more precise reticle for ranging, but I think the mil-dot will work well for me.
Thanks to everyone that offered information and opinions. I appreciate it.

I realy like the Nightforce Mil Dot, the dots are see through circles

Even though 3/4 of the scopes I use at work are Mildot, the TMR leupold being the oddball, I prefer the MLR or Leupold TMR for a few reasons, and I purchased my NF with MLR for these reasons. They are, 1) the mil hash marks are smaller therfore block less of your target from view, 2) if you are ranging I find that soldiers are far more accurate than using the dots. They may only get 1-2% closer but when precision shooting is a job and not a hobby, ever meter you are off counts. And reason number 3 is I find everybody shooting holdoff is alot more precise with the hash marks than with the dots. The reason why I say this is because the lines are a definate line from a clearly marked beginning to an end. With the dots remember they are .2 mils tall and wide, so being human that leaves error. Now people may argue with this thought but think about this scenario, if you range a standard etype/ human, 40" target height, say 1 mil the range would be 1016m but say you are even off .05 and range the target at 1.05 mils the range is now 967.6 m. Depending on your dope can be a difference of 2-3 moa in your DOPE. That's a hit or miss. At that range, that is why I like the MLR it makes me better as a soldier

They have both for a reason.

Clearly if one were wrong it would become obsolete and people would stop using it.

Either way you have a Nightforce with Mil turrets and a mil based reticle.

You already have the green light in my opinion, and im sure most others as well
smile.gif

Will NF change change out the reticles in their scopes for customers? Couldn't find anything on their site.

If you go to Nightforce's web site and click on library and then factory service form it will bring up the work order for reticle/turret swap.

Steve

They sure can... their website has a form to fill in, in their library section i think

Might cost you a little bit so make sure your choice of reticle is a solid one

I like the MLR, but i dont like some of the features of the MLR reticle. I wish that the .5 mil marks were a little longer, it would be nice to see the full mils marked with a number similar to the GAP reticle from USO. I dont like the mildot, to me a guess of .7 mils is just that a guess. I can be a tad more precise with the MLR, but id run either one without to much grief

I like mil dot because there see through with a lil dot in the middle looks great at night when illuminated