• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce MIL-DOT reticle question

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
Does anyone use the Nightforce MIL-DOT reticle with MOA turrets? It the one with the open dots.

It’s on page 17 in the link below. It's does say the circles are 1 mil apart which represents 3.6 inches at 100 yards at specified power.

However, a lot of the other measurements are in mils.
Reticle link

Re: Nightforce MIL-DOT reticle question

Multiply the mil values by 3.43775 and the results are values in MOA. If you're looking for values in inches, 1MOA = 1.047" per 100yds.

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for...

I can't tell if you're asking a question or educating? Which one?

And yes, I've used one, am using one and will probably use another one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't tell if you're asking a question or educating? Which one?</div></div>

Asking question. I'm looking for a scope something around 5x20 power. I've found a number of nice options but I can not seem to find a reticle I reticle I really like. I want something simple and pretty much uncluttered. For whatever reason I seem to understand the MOA units better.

Since I've never even looked thru the scopes that have the reticles I'm considering it's very hard for me to decide what I want. Might even want FFP. It's like buying a new car and you've never driven a new car. So you are really uncomfortable spending money without taking that car on a test drive.

There are no gunshops in my area that sell any high end tactical scopes, not even Nightforce which I'm thinking has a pretty good market share.

If you want to operate in mils, go with Mil Dot (or MLR, I like Mil Dot). If you want to operate in MOA, there are better options out there. Like the NPR-1 and NPR-2 (the NPR-1 is less busy).

See here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the NPR-1 and NPR-2 (the NPR-1 is less busy).</div></div>

Are you sure that's right? I was thinking the NPR-2 would be less busy because it has fewer moa lines on it.

The Mil-dot is a great reticle but it's outdated. There are much more precise and easier to use options out there.

The NF MilDot is a very good one, as it is an open center with a more precise aiming dot in the center. I have a couple just like you describe with MilDot reticle and MOA knobs. They work fine as long as you have the math down.

The NF mildot allows very precise measurement, even more precise than many of the 'hash' MIL reticles.

See attached, you can use the NF hollow circle with center dot to MIL down to 1/32 MIL, which is finer than most humans are capable.

If you like this reticle, definitely get the MIL turrets if you are buying a new scope, it will make life easier. The MIL reticle and MOA turrets are going away. If you like MOA turrets, just get an MOA reticle. As long as the reticle and turrets match you will be fine.

This is part of our technical Reticle Hold over page. I drew this from scratch because all the included info isn't in the NF literature:

mildot_large.jpg

Ronas, I had the Mildot/MOA setup you refer to. DON'T do it. Far too confusing to consistently switch between the measurements and the Mildot isn't a reticle a novice should consider. Look at NPR1 with MOA turrets, a popular option here. Whatever you decide get matching reticle and turrets ie MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. There isn't much to choose between them in my view. 5-22x is a good all round option. Zero stop/high speed is nice to have but not a necessity.

Agreed. Stick with either Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I've never even looked thru the scopes that have the reticles I'm considering it's very hard for me to decide what I want. Might even want FFP. It's like buying a new car and you've never driven a new car. So you are really uncomfortable spending money without taking that car on a test drive.

There are no gunshops in my area that sell any high end tactical scopes, not even Nightforce which I'm thinking has a pretty good market share. </div></div>

Ronas, if that's the case, a good way to determine what works and doesn't work for you is to meet up with forum members in your area(one of the many benefits of this forum). Throughout the years, people have let me get behind NFs, Schmidts, and a few others, and they covered a few basic things like how to set the zero stop, how to change the batteries, and how to focus the reticle. This should help you with your decision.

This is an old post however I do have a similar question. I hope someone will have an actual answer. I'm looking for what Nightforce model scopes actually use the Nightforce hollow mil dot reticle and adjust in MOA. I have a BEAST in MOA. I AM NOT A FAN OF MIL/MIL MOA/MOA!!! Dont care! Im not a mil guy. So before someone tries to tell me what they think I should be spending my hard earned money on..... here are my creds: *16 years USMC infantry, combat veteran. Marksmanship rifle/pistol Instructor. MOCS (Mission Oriented Combat Shooter) Instructor, Combat Marksmanship Instructor, STA Surveillance & Target Acquisition Platoon OR (Scout Sniper platoon) 3/5, STA platoon 1/5, Machine Gun Leaders Graduated, Post and Service Rifle Team Camp Pendleton Base, WFTBN MCRD Shooting Team, State of AZ Shooting Team, National Guard AZ Shooting Team. Currently Class F shooter. So just to clarify im looking for what Nightforce "cross over" scopes were produced and sold with the hollow mil dot scope. Any help would be appreciated, thanks