• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Mil R vs C question

mgvince

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2018
I'm building up a 20" WOA .223 Wylde barrel upper to get my feet wet in longer range more precise shooting. Looking to stay within the 500 yard zone right now. After doing a lot of reading on this and other forums. I've decided on the Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42 F1. From reading and talking to experienced shooters I plan on going Mil reticle. I have never used a Mil reticle scope so it will be a learning experience for me.

I see most posts favor the Mil C over the older Mil R. I plan on shooting steel plates for fun and paper to learn accurate shooting. The Mil C looks kind of busy to me, but That's probably because I have never used a Mil type reticle. Is the Mil C a good fit for me? I'll have to learn to use either one. If I do well, in time I will look at a .224 Valkyrie build. Planning on using the same scope for it. Thank you for any input.
Vince

Reactions: jp_over
I have both. The Mil-C's floating center dot and .2 Mil wind holds will make me not even consider a Mil-R now. "Busier" reticles have more functionality, it's just a matter of learning how to use them.

I still have a mil r , but I sold my mil c recently. Both are fine, but I would go with the mil c today. If I wasn't going with a T3 instead.

Thanks. It looks like the Mil C is being very well liked. I haven't used a "scope" on a rifle in decades. I have several years experience with magnified optics, ACOG TA-33 on my 11.5" SBR. Aim point red dots. My eyes are just not very good with irons anymore. I'm doing a lot of reading on using Mil reticles. I will be taking a basic long range shooting class in September. Just a one day class to get started with. I know I have a long way to go.

I have also had both and my vote would also be Mil-C it won’t look to busy when you’re actually using it. I like that each whole mil is numbered I found it easier to use when holding instead of dialing.

Both are good. I prefer the .2 mil wind holds and floating dot of the mil-C, but the mil-R is a decent reticle as well. Reticles tend to be personal preference, although there is definitely a common set of features that is becoming more popular in the LR shooting community.

Either will serve your purpose. Just a matter of how much time you want to invest in training and learning to use it.

Used prices are lower on the older mil r, but I wouldn’t give up .2 wind holds/floating center dot to save a couple hundred.

mil wind holds and floating dot of the mil-C are the main pros I will recommend a mil-C just create some time for learning and training it will look less busy later on.

Good choice with the NF 4-16x42F1. I agree 100% with what has been said here. Mil C !

I have a mil R and im looking to get rid of it soon. The problem i have is that it’s difficult to make wind holds with it. The line incriminating is almost random conpared to a T3 or mil C. Plus the floating dot is a great touch

Yes. From all I've read the Mil C is the one to go with. Looking forward to learning to use it. Will order one tonight. Taking a basic long range class in September.
Thanks for all the quick replies

Late reply but I didn't see it mentioned...

If you will be doing any "milling" or unknown distance in your class the Mil-C will benefit you greatly. Since every mill line is broken down by .2, it will give you (a beginner) much more precise mil readings on targets.

When you really look at the mil-r and mil-c, they aren't too far off in terms of how busy they are. Even though the mil-c has slightly more going on, the benefit it offers for milling targets and holdovers is well worth it.

I must be the oddball. I can't look at the MIL-C without seeing a DNA helix. I also don't really like the dot. I get the utility of .2mil holds but overall I much prefer the cleaner appearance of the MIL-R. Reticle choice really is personal preference.

Either way, excellent scope choice for that build.

Reactions: yakstone
I have used Mil-R in the past. Just bought a new NF will Mil-C. Kinda curious to see now I like it during use. Still gonna be a few weeks before my buils is completed.

Thanks sideways. I don't think the class will get too involved with ranging and milling. The scope I want is backordered from Optics Planet. If it doesn't ship next week I'll try somewhere else.

The mil-c is the clear winner. But with a ton of time behind the Mil-R it's just as capable. Just gotta hit the books a little harder ;)

Still can't believe NF didn't so ANY kind of XMAS tree with the Mil-C

I got used to the Mil R reticle - really like it - and it was an easy transition to the Mil C. I've never found one reticle a do all/end all answer. The Tremor is a favorite with many of my friends. Interpolating/holding wind and dialing or holding elevation is easily acccomplished with the Mil R or Mil C. It's all about practice. My next NF may be the Tremor - I like it too. Reticle choice is a personal thing and any of them can serve you well. Just MHO...

Reactions: yakstone