• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce need deciding help?

r2shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2013
North MS.
I'm looking at either the NXS 8-32x56, 12-42x56 or the Competition 15-55x52.

Main use will be for F-class type shooting for fun & possibly some local club matches. From the scopes I've looked through I seem to prefer the NP-R1 reticle offered only on the NXS models. The 12-42 does not have the zero stop option nor does the Competition models.

Of those of you that have maybe used one or all of the above are there any pros or cons that would make you sway one way or another? Is the zero stop worth the extra cash if I go w/the 8-32x56 NXS?

200-600yds will be my main distances for shooting as of now, unless I get the opportunity to attend a match at another club.
Any input or advice is appreciated.

I like the extra elevation travel in the 8-32 nsx and yes, the zero stop is very much worth having.
I had the 12-42 and it was a very good scope, it just ran out of elevation around 800yards.

If this truly is to be used in F class type shooting Zero Stop is of less value that illumination, which in 3 yrs of competition I have used exactly never.

I have and use a 32BR and a 42NXS. If you are only shooting to 600 both will serve you fine. At 600 yards you'll find that the 42 actually increases your chance of cross firing since you can't see your target number at full power. If there is a real chance you will end up shooting to 1000 yards then I'd suggest get the 42 and once you get it figure out which rail you'll need to get so that you can use all of your elevation and get to 1000. On my Remington I needed a 30 MOA rail. On my Defiance Rebel I need a 20.

The biggest advantage of the 55 right now is the weight savings, until you build something with a long heavy barrel you probably don't need to worry too much. (and personally I like the NP-2DD reticle)

I like the NXS 8-32X56 with Zero Stop over the 12-42 because of the larger elevation range. I use to be an NP-R1 reticle guy until I got the MOAR reticule on my last last NXS 8-32X56 scope.

I'm looking at either the NXS 8-32x56, 12-42x56 or the Competition 15-55x52.

Main use will be for F-class type shooting for fun & possibly some local club matches. From the scopes I've looked through I seem to prefer the NP-R1 reticle offered only on the NXS models. The 12-42 does not have the zero stop option nor does the Competition models.

Of those of you that have maybe used one or all of the above are there any pros or cons that would make you sway one way or another? Is the zero stop worth the extra cash if I go w/the 8-32x56 NXS?

200-600yds will be my main distances for shooting as of now, unless I get the opportunity to attend a match at another club.
Any input or advice is appreciated.

You probably would get better responses from F class shooters if you posted the question in the F class forum or over on accurateshooter.com. I don't think these forums get much attention from known distance, round target on rectangular field shooters.