• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce need help!!!

7.62_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
after lapping the rings on the rifle i instal the scope with a wheeler (level, level ,level) kit….it worked fine on my other rifle i just did. i installed the nightforce into the rings leveled it and torqued everything down to spec. the two levels (the one on the rifle and the one on the scope) were lined up perfectly, i looked through the scope and the crosshairs is clearly canted. to make sure it wasn't the scope caps i took off the cap like you would if you were to set the Zero stop check again and the two levels match so the reticule is canted.

never heard of a night force with a twisted reticule… should i try anything else before i contact night force?

Read the instruction manual that came with the scope, it states to use the flat bottom(under the turret housing) to line up the scope for proper horizontal and vertical alignment. If you try this and it is still off, call Nightforce. They will make it right.

I have a set of Wheeler levels but stopped using them to mount scopes after I started using feeler gauges but I would trust the NF reticle being plumb over what the Wheeler levels tell me. All of the NF scopes that I've had have had consistently plumb reticles but that's not to say something couldn't have slipped through. That being said it's been my experience that occasionally when you level a scope up and look through it there can sometimes be an optical illusion that makes the reticle look canted when it's really not. I would check the reticle against a plumb line with a level on the elevation turret to be sure.

The turrets on my Nightforces are not plumb with the reticle either. The reticle will be plumb with the flat bottom on the turret housing, try mounting using feeler gauges and then check the reticle against a plumb bob.

PS, the Wheeler level level level set up is just about worthless. I own one and haven't found a scope yet that the turret caps make a good recerence for level.