• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce new product development

spr1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2004
Peoples Republic of Maryland
Well, now that NF has the Beast and the 2.5-10 X 42 out there, I think they need to get after releasing a 1-6 or 1-8.

NF, FYI, I am not above begging......

Last edited:
Let's get the scopes they've already released on shelves first, please. Lots of people jonesin' for a BEAST.

I agree that a 1-6x or 1-8x would be great, maybe with something larger than a 24mm objective. 32mm obj? Top-tier glass? All those in favor?

I'd be happy if they'd just add FFP options to the full NSX line.

1-6x, lightweight, illumination selection between daylight visible dot (no larger than 2 MOA) or ranging reticle.

This would be great to see NF come out with a 1-6x or 1-8x!!! I know you guys at Nightforce see this, so I hope your take notes... :)

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Mike,

We watch, we listen, we try hard; but unfortunately I cannot comment about the things that are under development.

What I can say is this......while I realize we will never please everyone, there should be some happy campers.

I want them to make lower ultralight rings to get my 50mm closer to my medium palma.

You ever look at their Low UL rings? If you cut for the body tube any lower, the clamp would protrude into the cradle. You can't make a pic rail mount any lower.

I have. They could adapt their design. Seekins doesn't have any issues getting a few 0.01's lower due to their unique take on the product. Sure, it's a long shot, but never hurts to try- or in this case, ask.

Last edited:
1-8x32 sfp please. FFP in that range is useless unless you make a reticle like swfa ss 1-6 but a x32 objective for better eyebox and low light performance. Illuminated reticle, hs turrets and zero stop. Wpuld be the perfect scope for my 300blk and my hunting rigs.

There's a lot of competition out there in 1-6, and even 1-8 mag range now. I'd like to see more FFP offerings, there's very little need for SFP scopes with milling style reticles.

Gi'day...

Second the 1-6 and 1-8 FFP.

Just bought one of each from your competitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mike,

We watch, we listen, we try hard; but unfortunately I cannot comment about the things that are under development.

What I can say is this......while I realize we will never please everyone, there should be some happy campers.

For the record, I am a very happy camper...... I just want......more..........

a 1-6 or a 1-8 would be cool, but one thing about the 1-4 is it's one of the more compact 1-4x scopes on the market, it would be nice to build it compact and light in the same spirit as the 1-4. 3-15x42 would be interesting, but a 3-18x50 atacr would be an awesome hunting scope. i see a lot of good ideas in this thread. the thing i like about nightforce is we will not see anything until it's perfect. nightforce always put the time in to make sure products are done well and done right.

For comp use...how about a 6-18x42/44 30mm tube, ffp hs,zs, mil/ mil in as small and light a package as possible, with the hope that the 3x would require less innovation and therefore a small price tag. IMO for most comps a 5x 6x and 7x is a waste as the low end gets no use.

Last edited:
Thinner reticles in the FFP realm, FFP. First time in my history of gun ownership I don't own a NF. I have had 4 (2.5-10, 5.5-22, 3.5-15 F1 Mil, 3.5-15 F1) and they have all been replaced by S&B.

Mike,

Please design 10Y parallax into your new scopes!

I sold 3 NF's and bunch of Bushnell HDMR's and bought a S&B 5-25 and a March because I need this feature for my airguns and 22's. I am forced to switch scopes around between different rifles. Those of us that need 10Y parallax are stuck buying either super expensive scopes or super cheap scopes. I am a fan of Nightforce and I sure would have liked F2's with 10Y parallax instead.

A lot of folks are talking about the desire for FFP NXS scopes. I had the 3.5-15x F1 mil/mil with the new MLR2.0 reticle. While it was a great scope I found that I when I powered down below 10x I didn't use the subtentions and was pretty much shooting for center mass on movers. When I dialed up to 15x I used the holdovers all the time but the FFP was a mute point. However, on my 5-25x Premier Heritage I use the FFP holdovers all the time in-between 15x~25X range.

I have one of the old 2.5-10x 24's mil dot mil/mil it is SFP and it rocks. I've played with a friend's Bushnell 3-20 HDMR and it seems like a very useful power range for the FFP glass. I'd love to see Nightforce put out a FFP scope in that range with the MOAR/MIL-R or again, just a simple ATACR in FFP would be a big hit in the LE and Competition circles.

while were all compiling a wish list for ya oobull

how bout an angled eyepiece for the ts-82 reticle that looks like this. it would be the perfect spotting/ ranging reticle. drop it in lowleft, graduations continuing to edge with the intersection/axis still visible on max magnification , first focal of course.

the milling t yall have is the most awesome milling bracket out there hands down bar none, a large version in the spotter would be the bee's knees.

my paintbrush fu needs work,but you get the idea

1-8x32 SFP but ATACR glass. TRUE Daylight illumination is a must.

FFP 3-20x44 ATACR Mil-R reticle (MSR reticle option) ** This scope may not be over 30 ounces and cost should remain at @ $2900 or less.

FFP Current 5-25 Model ATACR (MSR Reticle Option)

This would be my perfect line up from Nightforce.

Last edited:
A lot of folks are talking about the desire for FFP NXS scopes. I had the 3.5-15x F1 mil/mil with the new MLR2.0 reticle. While it was a great scope I found that I when I powered down below 10x I didn't use the subtentions and was pretty much shooting for center mass on movers. When I dialed up to 15x I used the holdovers all the time but the FFP was a mute point. However, on my 5-25x Premier Heritage I use the FFP holdovers all the time in-between 15x~25X range.

I have one of the old 2.5-10x 24's mil dot mil/mil it is SFP and it rocks. I've played with a friend's Bushnell 3-20 HDMR and it seems like a very useful power range for the FFP glass. I'd love to see Nightforce put out a FFP scope in that range with the MOAR/MIL-R or again, just a simple ATACR in FFP would be a big hit in the LE and Competition circles.
This! I think a lot of the people wanting FFP scopes in the lower power ranges haven't shot a FFP in the lower power ranges. Absolutely no reason for FFP in a scope that has a 15x or less top end. My vortex 2.5-10x32 has a useless reticle below about 8x. Its a great scope but should be a SFP so I can actually use the reticle when zoomed out for walking through the woods. My SWFA 3-15 is about useless below 10x and I never feel the need to dial down from 15x. A 6-24, sure, but anything less than 15x I just don't see the point because usually when dialed down its for fast shots and youre not using the TINY subtensions of a FFP in that case.

This! I think a lot of the people wanting FFP scopes in the lower power ranges haven't shot a FFP in the lower power ranges. Absolutely no reason for FFP in a scope that has a 15x or less top end. My vortex 2.5-10x32 has a useless reticle below about 8x. Its a great scope but should be a SFP so I can actually use the reticle when zoomed out for walking through the woods. My SWFA 3-15 is about useless below 10x and I never feel the need to dial down from 15x. A 6-24, sure, but anything less than 15x I just don't see the point because usually when dialed down its for fast shots and youre not using the TINY subtensions of a FFP in that case.

I'd agree with this but it also depends on the design of the reticle. If you have a reticle that has very small increments then yes it can be useless at lower mag. Say the half mil hash is 0.15 and the full is 0.20/.25 good luck below 6-8x as you stated. If however the design has the half mil hash as 0.25 and the full mil at 0.5 or vise versa then its not too much of a problem. When I owned a 4-16 steiner I had no trouble using it well below 10x since the half mil hashes were 0.5 mil. It was actually useable at 4x, you just couldn't make out the mil-dots much but knew there were there.

I'd agree with this but it also depends on the design of the reticle. If you have a reticle that has very small increments then yes it can be useless at lower mag. Say the half mil hash is 0.15 and the full is 0.20/.25 good luck below 6-8x as you stated. If however the design has the half mil hash as 0.25 and the full mil at 0.5 or vise versa then its not too much of a problem. When I owned a 4-16 steiner I had no trouble using it well below 10x since the half mil hashes were 0.5 mil. It was actually useable at 4x, you just couldn't make out the mil-dots much but knew there were there.
The SWFA 1-6 is a perfect example of a great FFP reticle. Very useable at 1x and 6x, most other reticles in the 15ish power and lower IMO are pointless in a FFP. There are two reasons you cut back on magnification, fast target acquisition and mirage. For fast target acquisition youre not using subtensions anyway because the shots are close and fast. For mirage, well Ive never had to fight mirage bad enough to matter with a 15x scope or less. I can say without a doubt FFP is not needed on a 10x max scope, Ive never even seen the slightest hint of meaningful mirage at 10x on my scopes. For me FFP ruined the 2.5-10x32 vortex due to the reticle design. I think people are just getting carried away wanting FFP everything these days without thinking about the scopes intended use and the hindrances of FFP.

I would like to see more ffp options in the whole nf line up. Please do away with floating mildot and go with your new md 2.0 or just a standard mildot. Expanded shv lineup. Keep up the good work, quality and I'll keep buying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Let me send in my NXS 5.5-22 so they can make it FFP. Then make another to go with it.

Put something similar to the CQ Mil reticle in the 1-4x and .2 mil adjustments.

Stop upcharging me for zero stops and mil turrets.

Make the 1-4x a 1-6x but keep same size and weight, but more reticle options. Hell, even 1-5 would be good but lets try 1-6.

Aluminum flip up caps instead of bikinis.

Get the BEAST on the damn shelf already.

Offer every scope top end 10x or higher in both SFP AND FFP with MINIMAL upcharge. I understand they cost a little more to manufacture but damn, why the F*€< do FFP scopes that are worth a shit have to cost as much as a new engine for a friggin Mack Truck. I get materials, attention to detail, bad ass product, good game. But after the $2800 point it's a little ridiculous.

Basically catch up to the competition and stop acting like Leupold from a few years ago. I and many others would rather give our hard earned cash to Nightforce, but with some of the New offerings coming from competitors, it's hard to justify the cost for fewer features and same quality we could get elsewhere.

P.S. also do not follow Leupold in trying to charge 4k+ for something that let's be honest, shouldn't be more than $2600-$2800 tops.

Last edited:
I'd say a big thing would be more modern illumination controls. The rheostat under the battery cap is a little ridiculous.

It would be foolish to make more of the NXS as FFP when the ATACR is superior.

Why not offer them both in FFP. I personally do not like the size or weight of the ATACR. The NXS is noticeably lighter when mounted on an already heavy rig. They could have just put the better glass in the NXS and offered it in FFP and would still have a better scope than the competition, probably lower cost than the ATACR, and offered the ATACR as FFP only. This would cut into BEAST sales but it would have been a better move.

Their scopes already have the same or more elevation adjustment than the bigger higher priced scopes.