• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NightForce NPR2 reticle, having trouble seeing it

capacitor

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
Have an NF 2.5-10 compact with NPR2 on a really decked out Remington Mohawk 600 in .308. Love the scope but damn its hard to see this reticle and I have decent eye sight!

No matter how much I try to focus the eye piece its hard to see (unless I'm looking at a white or clear sky background). I can usually pick up the vertical/horizontal and sometimes the windage marks but the elevation marks ... forget it.

I get that F-Class guys like it but have a hard time believing this thing is ever used in a military context or even a hunting context in a wooded area.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Cap.

Re: NightForce NPR2 reticle, having trouble seeing it

I'm proud you posted this. I would have already ordered this scope for a dedicated hunting rig but I can't decide on a reticle for fear of low light performance, which is high on my priority list (for whitetail deer in the heavily wooded SE Alabama). I had the most fear of the NP-R2 and mil dot due to the small crosshairs.

The NPR1 and NPR2 reticles are thin. Great for target shooting but the reticle can really washout in clutter.

The MOAR is about twice as thick. Much easier to see. Not sure if it would be available on that model.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the NP-1 or Velocity reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any first hand experience with the NP-1 or Velocity reticle? </div></div>

I'd be interested in this as well. Especially experiences with the NF Velocity reticles

Try turning eye piece clockwise all the way in , after turning the tightening ring all the way clockwise first.

I had same problem with one of my NF but once I screwed eye piece all the way in the reticle was nice ,and clear to see and much thicker looking.

On mine the tightening nut actually almost starts covering up the power #'s .

Double check your diopter adjustment. If that's not enough, then it is just too thin for your use.

If you can wait a little longer, the MOAR is coming to the 2.5-10x and will be an outstanding all around field scope.

-Sean

I have several of these scopes with the mil-dot reticle, and have absolutely no trouble in low light, or dark backgrounds.

I tried one with the NP-R2, and had the same problem as the OP. They should not even sell this great little scope with that reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIGGLEE0351</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any first hand experience with the NP-1 or Velocity reticle? </div></div>

I'd be interested in this as well. Especially experiences with the NF Velocity reticles </div></div>

I have run the HV Velocity scope for years now in the compact. Very impressed with it. Day and night is great performance. Have taken coyotes at just over 380 yards at night with it.

Illumination is incredible with all the externally adjusted settings, reticle is easy to see, and the addition of zero stop gets me past 600 if needed.

I would recommend it for a great hunting scope. Still have NF quality and a lighter more compact package.

Not sure if there is something unique about the 2.5-10 scope with the NP-R2 reticle, or something off with your adjustments as others have suggested?

I run a 5-22x56 with NP-R1 reticle. Have shot several Tactical rifle matches with engagement ranges from 60-1100 yards. These matches present a fast paced environment with no room for error, including lowlight and night time shooting, with targets that are tough to spot and blend with background.

I absolutely love the NP-R1 reticle without any reservation! I think the reticle lines are a good thinkness that provide minimal obstruction to view your target, but still allow very precise shot placement at long ranges. I don't have any problem spotting the reticle lines against the target background, and my eyes are not young and sharp. One of my shooting partners also runs the same scope and same reticle and loves his. He just switched to a USO scope with FFP and is not pleased with the thicker reticle line size at max zoom. I would not want the lines any thicker...but YMMV.

Just my experience...
cool.gif

Sendero Man, I appreciate the feedback on the Velocity reticle. Do you exclusively use the hold over until its yardage is surpassed?

I have used the reticle and dialed.

for shots over 600, I have held on the 600 and dialed up from there too.

Very versatile setup !

even with changes in DA, etc. you can make it work

Shredder58, there is a big difference between the npr1/npr2 when in lower powered optics. I agree the 5-22 works great with npr1/npr2, howeve in 3-15 it does not show up nearly as well.
MOAR should be great, hopefully they will offer mlr 2.0 as well!

I have an NP-R1 reticle on my 5.5-22 and it's great. I recently purchased a 3.5-15 also with the NP-R1 reticle. HUGE difference in the thickness of the reticle, so far this scope has only seen the range for load development but I'm quite disappointed. The reticle constantly washes out regardless of what I do with the eye-piece focus.

Why is it so much thinner on the 3.5-15 versus the 5.5-22?

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Like mentioned, I have decent eye sight.

Its frustrating. Wish I just went with a mil-dot and mil turrets and been done with it. Figured I try this scope but its turned out to be a expensive experiment.

I just don't get this reticle being so thin and being hard to see for so many. Too bad, I like the reticle.

Cap.

Thanks Kubitza,

This tip helped a little. Buys the scope some time.

It seems better on 10x but not quite as effective on 2.5.

Might think about a reticle swap.

Cap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kubitza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try turning eye piece clockwise all the way in , after turning the tightening ring all the way clockwise first.

I had same problem with one of my NF but once I screwed eye piece all the way in the reticle was nice ,and clear to see and much thicker looking.

On mine the tightening nut actually almost starts covering up the power #'s . </div></div>