• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NIGHTFORCE NX8 1-8X24 F1 ?

Moose

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2005
    NJ
    Anyone have one that they could give me a hands on review.It looks like it has a lot going for it. Thanks

I have a display model for $1,515.00 to help you out to review it yourself :)

42654668_2276821552360345_804085347452452864_n.jpg

There's been quit a bit feedback here: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...r-f1-1-8x24mm-34mm-tube-models.6798633/page-7

I have 1 on my 3gun rifle. All around it's an amazing scope. Not as forgiving as the vortex 1-6 razor. But I decided to sell the vortex. I kinda wish it had capped elevation turrents but I set the zero stop and just look at it periodically. I love the 1st focal reticle. On low it's as good as a true red dot, and on 8 gives me good magnification for shooting long range. Plus it's super light weight!

Thanks Travis224.When you say not as forgiving as the vortex are you referring to the eye box? And if so just how annoying is the eye box.

It is a decent scope, but when you want a FFP LPV scope with an 8x magnification and a small footprint, you have to compromise on some scope characteristics, and they did. IMHO, from 0- 400yd there are some better options available. Also, I would wait till after SHOT and see if Nightforce will be coming out with any new 2nd FP LPV models and new reticle options.

Goodness, I’ve written so many things about this scope, I lose track. I have the NX8 and the ATACR 1-8.
    The NX8 is a fantastic scope for what it is. It is a super good all around, practical, SPR/Recce scope. It will allow you to make hits out to the limits of where the 5.56 can take you. I have many times shot it out to 400/500/650 yds. The footprint is very small for what you’re getting. It’s 17oz, and smaller than most 1-4’s. The illumination is fantastic, VERY daylight bright. No question for it’s size and weight, it has no equal right now.

Downside....there’s always a downside. The Eyebox is tighter than the Razor 1-6. That’s simply something you give up with a FFP scope in this size. The Razor is SFP, so, by design of the position of the reticle in the scope body, they are able to make the Eyebox bigger, and make the edges “disappear “. I am speaking from experience, I HAD the Razor 1-6. Sold it to buy this NF. The day I put it on, I knew.

The ATACR is in a different league. It is a precision scope shrunk down. In my mind, it is the top dog LPV. It has insanygood glass, daylight bright, a great reticle, super good feeling turrets, everything. Downside.....I think the center dot is too big. The center dot is like 1.02 moa or some such thing. It covers a 1” target dot at 100 yds. It will still allow sub moa groups, but I would LOVE it and do backflips if the center dot was .5 moa instead.
    There was a good review done by Sage Dynamics on both the NX8 and the ATACR 1-8. Aaron covered the scopes well, and it would be worth looking at on You Tube.
    I don’t know him, and have no vested interest in his page, I just like his style, and I think the reviews are solid.

Goodness, I’ve written so many things about this scope, I lose track. I have the NX8 and the ATACR 1-8.
    The NX8 is a fantastic scope for what it is. It is a super good all around, practical, SPR/Recce scope. It will allow you to make hits out to the limits of where the 5.56 can take you. I have many times shot it out to 400/500/650 yds. The footprint is very small for what you’re getting. It’s 17oz, and smaller than most 1-4’s. The illumination is fantastic, VERY daylight bright. No question for it’s size and weight, it has no equal right now.

Downside....there’s always a downside. The Eyebox is tighter than the Razor 1-6. That’s simply something you give up with a FFP scope in this size. The Razor is SFP, so, by design of the position of the reticle in the scope body, they are able to make the Eyebox bigger, and make the edges “disappear “. I am speaking from experience, I HAD the Razor 1-6. Sold it to buy this NF. The day I put it on, I knew.

The ATACR is in a different league. It is a precision scope shrunk down. In my mind, it is the top dog LPV. It has insanely good glass, daylight bright, a great reticle, super good feeling turrets, everything. Downside.....I think the center dot is too big. The center dot is like 1.02 moa or some such thing. It covers a 1” target dot at 100 yds. It will still allow sub moa groups, but I would LOVE it and do backflips if the center dot was .5 moa instead.
    There was a good review done by Sage Dynamics on both the NX8 and the ATACR 1-8. Aaron covered the scopes well, and it would be worth looking at on You Tube.
    I don’t know him, and have no vested interest in his page, I just like his style, and I think the reviews are solid.
    I’m going

The ATACR is in a different league. It is a precision scope shrunk down. In my mind, it is the top dog LPV. It has insanely goo glass, daylight bright, a great reticle, super good feeling turrets, everything. Downside.....I think the center dot is too big. The center dot is like 1.02 moa or some such thing. It covers a 1” target dot at 100 yds. It will still allow sub moa groups, but I would LOVE it and do backflips if the center dot was .5 moa instead.

I bought the NX8 about a week ago. At first glance it looks amazing, very small and light. What I really don't like is the size of the eyebox, its very tight and can be difficult to get a good sight picture. If I could do it again, I would spend the extra coin and go with the ATACR 1-8.

Reactions: LMT/556
    I have the ATACR 1-8, but my friend has the NX8. I can agree with the others that the NX8 eye box is particular and less forgiving than the ATACR. Past that, both deliver performance. I took a DMR course this summer and a different friend used his ATACR 1-8 on a 16" 5.56 AR15 with hits out to 600 yards and 500 on movers. Then, he and I took a 0-100 carbine course this past weekend which included vehicle work, cqb and force on force. He used the same rifle and I used mine with the ATACR. No issues other than weight of the whole package. I'm very impressed at the ability to use one scope/rifle to lay down accurate fire out to the 5.56 capabilities and then turn around and shoot CQB stuff with the same package. The NX8 is capable of the same, just a tighter eye box from what I have seen.

Make sure ** you** look through any scope before you buy it if you can, preferably using one of those simulated rifle stock scope holders. What is okay for another person might not be the best for you after looking through it. I would not put all your faith in somebodies review.

Last edited:
    I bought the NX8 about a week ago. At first glance it looks amazing, very small and light. What I really don't like is the size of the eyebox, its very tight and can be difficult to get a good sight picture. If I could do it again, I would spend the extra coin and go with the ATACR 1-8.
    The tight eye box is what will keep me from getting a NX8,I think i will wait for shot show before spending the cash on the ATACR 1-8.

I have both and have owned about every mid to high quality LPVO on the market for the past 20 years. I was running Weaver 1-3's and Leupold CQT's before the LPVO craze ever got legs.

The NX8 is great if you want an uber compact, lightweight capability on a compact or covert weapon system. The performance is plenty acceptable. Key word...."Acceptable". It is not in the same league as the ATACR 1-8, Kahles K16i, Swaro Z6i or Vortex. It is awesome for what it is. Expectations are subjective as hell. I have zero issues with with shooting performance using the NX8. The ATACR is certainly better, but given my skill level, performance variance is minimal. I DO prefer the ATACR 1-8 as my primary LPVO. NX8 resides on shorter more compact guns and offers great capability when matched with the weapon system and expectation. Reticle is well designed and painfully bright in the brightest of sunny, clear sky conditions. Brighter than my Aimpoint T2's. The ATACR is bright, but not as bright as the NX8. I often see a disparity of 2-3 intensity settings between the two.

If you are wanting to buy it because its cheaper than the ATACR and you want to convince yourself its as good as the others....DON'T! You will be disappointed!
    The ATACR is the cream of the crop at this point in time for LPVO's in my opinion. The center dot size is a bit larger than it needs to be IF you are trying to dial and hold the dot on target for precision use. If you hold over and use the reticle, it is perfect! The dot size is a non issue for me as I like the way it looks if my batteries die and I lose my red dot. Its also fast up close. the reticle in the ATACR is the same as the NX8, but has a Mil based dot grid below centerline.

NX8 adjusts in .2mr increments and the ATACR is in .1mr increments.

As I understand it from folks in the know, NF was just awarded the S-VPS contract for FFP for the ATACR AND..... the NX8. The DoD award listed only the ATACR, but apparently SOCOM also awarded the NX8 a CLIN as well. That kinda made me feel good as I know how anal CRANE is at acceptance testing of proposed submissions to solicitations. I asked my guy over at NF MIL, but he was unable to comment to confirm. His guarded response kinda led me to believe he knew something but was not at liberty to openly discuss, so I am only speculating.

If you set your expectations properly, the NX8 is fantastic for certain purposes. If you want it to be as good as the ATACR or others I mentioned, you will be sorely disappointed.

I have both and have owned about every mid to high quality LPVO on the market for the past 20 years. I was running Weaver 1-3's and Leupold CQT's before the LPVO craze ever got legs.

The NX8 is great if you want an uber compact, lightweight capability on a compact or covert weapon system. The performance is plenty acceptable. Key word...."Acceptable". It is not in the same league as the ATACR 1-8, Kahles K16i, Swaro Z6i or Vortex. It is awesome for what it is. Expectations are subjective as hell. I have zero issues with with shooting performance using the NX8. The ATACR is certainly better, but given my skill level, performance variance is minimal. I DO prefer the ATACR 1-8 as my primary LPVO. NX8 resides on shorter more compact guns and offers great capability when matched with the weapon system and expectation. Reticle is well designed and painfully bright in the brightest of sunny, clear sky conditions. Brighter than my Aimpoint T2's. The ATACR is bright, but not as bright as the NX8. I often see a disparity of 2-3 intensity settings between the two.

If you are wanting to buy it because its cheaper than the ATACR and you want to convince yourself its as good as the others....DON'T! You will be disappointed!
    The ATACR is the cream of the crop at this point in time for LPVO's in my opinion. The center dot size is a bit larger than it needs to be IF you are trying to dial and hold the dot on target for precision use. If you hold over and use the reticle, it is perfect! The dot size is a non issue for me as I like the way it looks if my batteries die and I lose my red dot. Its also fast up close. the reticle in the ATACR is the same as the NX8, but has a Mil based dot grid below centerline.

NX8 adjusts in .2mr increments and the ATACR is in .1mr increments.

As I understand it from folks in the know, NF was just awarded the S-VPS contract for FFP for the ATACR AND..... the NX8. The DoD award listed only the ATACR, but apparently SOCOM also awarded the NX8 a CLIN as well. That kinda made me feel good as I know how anal CRANE is at acceptance testing of proposed submissions to solicitations. I asked my guy over at NF MIL, but he was unable to comment to confirm. His guarded response kinda led me to believe he knew something but was not at liberty to openly discuss, so I am only speculating.

If you set your expectations properly, the NX8 is fantastic for certain purposes. If you want it to be as good as the ATACR or others I mentioned, you will be sorely disappointed.
    Thanks for the info.The ATACR 1-8 and the Kahles K16I are the 2 at the top my list.I am still waiting for shot show to see what comes out.I still can't get over how far improved glass has become in the last 60 years i have been shooting.

I love mine, I use it on a 308 AR hunting rifle, I agree with others saying I wish the center dot was a little smaller. It wouldn't hinder 1x performance at all but would really improve 8x "precision shooting" performance IMO.

On 1x the reticle appears as a "red dot" with the best daylight illumination I've seen on an LPVO (I haven't used the Razor, ATACR, Kahles or other high end LPVO's), eye box is a little tight but for me using it as a hunting gun, it isn't an issue at all.

I think of the NX8 kind of like the old NightForce NXS 2.5-10x24 Riflescope, it was a decent little scope and used by some of our special forces, but it had a pretty small eyebox. It was less than ideal, but they made use of what they had and what was available at the time.

I think of the NX8 kind of like the old NightForce NXS 2.5-10x24 Riflescope, it was a decent little scope and used by some of our special forces, but it had a pretty small eyebox. It was less than ideal, but they made use of what they had and what was available at the time.

I will have to politely disagree. That scope is still one of the most used within NSW on a variety of weapon systems. The SEALS love it.
    I have one and love it and have no issues with the eyebox. Objective is small which makes the exit pupil small on higher mags; still works great though. The narrow objective is what makes the thing so nice. Short length, good mag range and parallax that is almost non existent to 800 meters. It suits the purpose it is intended for and applied to. The SEALS have access to Leupold Mark 6 3-18's at only 1.8" longer with a 44mm objective.....supposedly a better scope. I don't see them putting that on in place of their 2.5-10x24's.

IMHO, riflescopes like everything else are constantly changing and improving, and if they were not we would all still be carrying revolvers and driving Model T's. Nothing is so good it cannot be made better and you either change with the times and let go of the past at some point or you will be left behind and die on the vine so to speak. Good is also the enemy of great, so don't settle if you can afford not to.

Last edited:
    My dads got one. I think most of the comments here really cover it. Compared to the ATACR, the NX8 gives you a much smaller footprint, at the cost of a tighter eye box. You do see a little bit of dimming going to 8x too, but that’s the nature of a 24mm objective. Maybe on a close to medium range 308 DMR I’d pick the ATACR over the NX8, but 90% of the time I’d chose the NX8 for the form factor. The reticle and illumination are extremely well executed.

My dads got one. I think most of the comments here really cover it. Compared to the ATACR, the NX8 gives you a much smaller footprint, at the cost of a tighter eye box. You do see a little bit of dimming going to 8x too, but that’s the nature of a 24mm objective. Maybe on a close to medium range 308 DMR I’d pick the ATACR over the NX8, but 90% of the time I’d chose the NX8 for the form factor. The reticle and illumination are extremely well executed.
    The NX8 is extremely sensitive to the reticle/diopter adjustment. I had issues with mine doubling the reticle looking straight through, but off axis it would clear up. I had best results setting the adjustment at 6x which minimized the doubling from 1 though 8 but it was still there. This was on a scope that came directly from NF and double checked before it shipped out. Form factor was great, small and light but the tight eyebox, .2 mil clicks and finicky adjustment got to me and I sold it for a 1x8 ATACR. I'm happy with that decision. Now I'm looking for another lpvo to swap between the flavor of the week, .1 mil clicks, generous eye box blah blah blah...

The ATACR is in a different league. It is a precision scope shrunk down. In my mind, it is the top dog LPV. It has insanely good glass, daylight bright, a great reticle, super good feeling turrets, everything. Downside.....I think the center dot is too big. The center dot is like 1.02 moa or some such thing. It covers a 1” target dot at 100 yds. It will still allow sub moa groups, but I would LOVE it and do backflips if the center dot was .5 moa instead.
    I’m going

I’m going
    Prepare to get your "backflip" game on. This is virtually what you've been looking for... 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210212-074351.png
      Screenshot_20210212-074351.png
      1.3 MB · Views: 512