• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NX8 vs ATACR

Hey everybody, finally decided to make an account and stop lurking after years. I'm finally getting a build done. I've saved up enough to cover the rifle and most of the optic cost.

I've been going back and forth between the NF NX8 4-32x50 F1 and the NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1. I know they're completely different price brackets, but what exactly would I be gaining/losing between the two?
I don't want to buy low and feel like I want to "move up" later or regret my purchase (if that makes sense haha.)

It's going on a 300 WM that will be a pretty do-it-all rifle for me. It's going to be backpacked and used across the US for hunting, target shooting, and maybe some PRS in the future.
Ranges between 200-1000m.
All manner of weather and lighting conditions seeing as it will be hiked with.

Otherwise, if anyone else has a different recommendation as well around ~$2200-2500 (can be stretch a bit if really necessary).

Thanks in advance.
Dead thread but couldn’t help myself.

A lot of good advice on here. I laughed pretty hard at the truth being spoken by people anticipating the know-it-all scope “experts”. I’m not an expert and frankly, like 99 percent of the users on this thread, I don’t anticipate every being able to outshoot any of the scopes mentioned in this discussion.

Quick two cents: I own a 5-25 and 7-35 ATACR and a 4-32 NX8. They’re all great and do the things I want them to on my rifles. With that said I spent years hunting around the world with a Night Force SHV 4-14 on my 300 win mag. I can count on one hand the number of times I was getting set to take a shot on an animal that I thought to myself, “damn, I wish I had more magnification” or “oh but if my glass just a little more clear…”. (Both of these I chalk up to my lack of skill)

Dorks who puff up and advocate for buying the best/most expensive thing are everywhere. The hunting/shooting world is no exception.

Depending on your level of experience I’d buy a:

-SHV -14 or Vortex PST II for starting out
or
-NX8 4-32 for your forever scope after you graduate to “needing” or wanting a little more magnification or extra features.

Hope everyone is remembering to stay humble and that shooting is supposed to be fun.

So which one of these would be best on a precision Rimfire bolt gun?
ATACR 7-35x56 or NX8 4-32x50, assuming both have the MIL-XT reticle?

I'm also looking at the Burris XTR Pro or XTR III 5.5-30x56 as well, with the SCR2 reticle.
I can only afford to make one scope choice for this rifle, I have to get it right the first time.

I have 3 ATACR's and 1 NX8. I typically shoot at 18x and the difference is negligible. If it's really dark the ATACR has the edge. NX8, 4x32x50 is a fantastic scope
IMG_0905.jpeg

NF 7-35 is one of the most underrated optics

It’s excellent

NX8 is not bad but it can leave you feeling let down if you’re wanting to be impressed

I have 2 7-35 ATACRs and 2 4-32 NX8s. I have the ATACRs on centerfire match guns and the NX8s on rimfire match guns. They are both great scopes. The ATACR is significantly heavier/bulkier but has wider FOV. The FOV isn't as important for rimfire, and the lighter weight is nice for the lighter gun. Either one would be a good choice.