• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56mm NP-R1 ZS HS Blues

LineofDeparture

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
New Roads, La
I own one and have had it for about 4 months... Since then i have had to send it back due to the illumination switch being activated by the recoil of my TRG42 338lm... Night force had the scope fixed and back in my hands within a week.. mounted and slinging lead once again.... Again, i opened the switch to adjust the brightness of the illum reticle and it now feels that the scope will act the same once being fired. Is anyone else having these troubles?? Looks like ill have to prove it and call NF again about this returning issue.. anyone experiencing these issues with NF optics?? im not beating up on them, thus far they have done me right, i just dont see why im having the same issue again after i sent this off one time to fix it...

Re: NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56mm NP-R1 ZS HS Blues

I had a similar problem once on my NF 5.5-22.

It didn't come on from recoil. Instead the action of the illume knob was light enough and short enough that it would get switched on by accident. I wouldn't notice till I actually needed to use the illume and would discover the battery dead because it had come on inadvertently from handling.

IMO Nightforce's illume knob system on their 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 has grown long in the tooth and needs an update. Adjusting the intensity with a tiny screw driver is akin to starting a fire with sticks
smile.gif
Hopefully they have addressed this for 2012.

Both of my Nightforce scopes require a very STRONG pull to activate the illumination. There is no way mine could come on accidently. No way.

I tell you this to suggest there might be an adjustment for this parameter. There must be a screw, or spring, or something in there to tighten up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both of my Nightforce scopes require a very STRONG pull to activate the illumination. There is no way mine could come on accidently. No way.

I tell you this to suggest there might be an adjustment for this parameter. There must be a screw, or spring, or something in there to tighten up. </div></div>

this has been my experience, i've had guys send them back because they didnt pull out on the knob hard enough to get it to turn on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both of my Nightforce scopes require a very STRONG pull to activate the illumination. There is no way mine could come on accidently. No way.

I tell you this to suggest there might be an adjustment for this parameter. There must be a screw, or spring, or something in there to tighten up. </div></div>

+1

Maybe the parallax cap is on too deep and not allowing the the illum switch to fully seat in to its off detent? Especially since the cap was removed to adjust the brightness.

Mine are all very difficult to activate as well, which suites me fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine are all very difficult to activate as well, which suites me fine. </div></div>

This is exactly what I want.. Actually it's a must for me and this particular rifle setup ...
Im not really interested in my reticle illuminating when i shoot like i am on some type of video game... ... Unless, its the surefire brake that is contributing to the cause....It does ring my bell a little, on a covered range..:)

I am looking at same scope for GAP Crusader 308. Trying to decide between 50mm and 56mm. Why did you choose 56mm? Thanks. Philip.

I chose 50 because it let's me use lower rings and get down more on the stock. I do not see great deal of difference in the light gathering loss in the 50 vs the 56. In any case that's why you spend the extra $ for an illuminated scope

Brightness is brightness, the illum feature does not increase the low light gathering capability of the scope. It does redefine the reticle when you have lost it to low light.

The larger objective, iinm, will also provide more resolution and a larger exit pupil. The larger exit pupil is great for old, tired eyes.

Mine is very firm as well. I've got it on top of a 338 LM (suppressed) and never had an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brightness is brightness, the illum feature does not increase the low light gathering capability of the scope. It does redefine the reticle when you have lost it to low light.

The larger objective, iinm, will also provide more resolution and a larger exit pupil. The larger exit pupil is great for old, tired eyes. </div></div>

+1 and that's why i chose 56mm....The problem has been resolved by NF. No more issues.. The scope is phenomenal IMHO.. Ive had bad luck with everything i purchase no matter what it is or how much i pay for it... So ill choke this up to the black cloud i live under... NF has made everything right as fast as possible.. So please don't take this or any of my other posts as a strike to NF. Their customer service to me has been 2nd to none...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The larger objective, iinm, will also provide more resolution and a larger exit pupil. The larger exit pupil is great for old, tired eyes. </div></div>

I noticed this on my scopes. I will always order 56 in the future, but the Mil Spec came as is.