• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NightForce NXS Accuracy

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've noticed in a couple of threads/topics where someone said the NightForce NXS scopes are only accurate at their highest magnification(s), such as 15x or 22x. I'm rather curious as to why that is, and what the shooter must do to correct it.

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, I'm a newbie and this is all new to me.

Re: NightForce NXS Accuracy

I believe they are referring to scopes that have the reticle in the 2nd focal plane being only accurate FOR RANGING at the highest power. Mine rocks (accurately) from 5.5 - 22!!

Again, don't mistake accurate tracking and target engagement with accurate "ranging". Your scope should track accurately and allow you to engage targets accurately (if you have the fundametals down) at any power. Only if you are trying to "range the target" with your reticle will the measurments be inaccurate at other than the highest setting.

N3TD,

I believe what you have read was in reference to using the scopes recticle to estimate distance, and not it's "accuracy" overall. As you read along you will commonly see the terms FFP or SFP. (Front Focal Plane or Second Focal Plane)

I've got to run real quick so I'll have to finish this explanation later. In the meantime you can click on the link in my signature line and enter FFP. There's an absolute ton of information here in the Hide to help you understand what this all means.

BTW, the link is a custom Google search that only searches within Snipers Hide. You will find it VERY useful.

Take care,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrrifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only if you are trying to "range the target" with your reticle will the measurments be inaccurate at other than the highest setting.</div></div>

Or if you're trying to do ANYTHING ELSE based on reticle measurements, like engage targets at multiple ranges without dialing adjustments by using holdover/under, observe misses and dial corrections, or lead moving targets.

First focal plane scopes take this "error" you talk about out of the equation... the reticle can be useful for ranging calculations at any magnification.

On the second focal plane models, which is pretty much most of what they offer and the most common in the NF range, the reticle is designed to be ACCURATE at the scopes highest magnification. So at 22x power the distance from the centre of one mil dot to the next centre dot is exactly 1 mil.

I would advise checking on the accuracy of your scopes magnification hash marks via working backwards with a range calculation. You can also verify via careful placement of dots on targets at known distances (100 meters for example) to see if your 22x mag is actually at 22x.

You can also range at 11x (dot on the zoom marks it) and 5.5x. Since 11 is half of 22 it doubles the value of the marks. On the NP-R2 it makes each verticle mark 4 MOA and on 5.5 it quadruples the value of the 22x I have played with my holdover at all 3 settings and I have made long hits with them all. It can be handy at times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also range at 11x (dot on the zoom marks it) and 5.5x. Since 11 is half of 22 it doubles the value of the marks. On the NP-R2 it makes each verticle mark 4 MOA and on 5.5 it quadruples the value of the 22x I have played with my holdover at all 3 settings and I have made long hits with them all. It can be handy at times. </div></div>

So, would I be better off getting the NP-R1 reticle?

All of this is rather confusing. So, if you can't use your scope to range your target at anything other than the highest setting, what the hell must be done?
confused.gif
Use a rangefinder, or?

I apologize for the n00bish questions. I'm awaiting delivery on a NF NXS NP-R2 for my POF P-308. Now that I'm reading all of these comments, I can't help but wonder if maybe I bought the <span style="font-style: italic">wrong</span> glass or reticle.
confused.gif

All second focal plane scopes need to be set at a specific power so that the mildot is accurate for rangeing(unless its a fixed power wich it is already calibrated for that power) it's not just Nightforce. If you get a first focal plane the reticle will range at all magnifications. Nightforce makes both.

+1 on what Robert said. You can really range at any magnification if you know how to multiply and divide. Doing it at 22x just eliminates that step. The less steps for someone to do under pressure reduces mistakes, hence all of these new tools to help you do it all (B.O.R.S., Hensoldt SAM, etc.)