• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS

Cooyon

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
I recently purchased my first high end scope. It was a Nightforce NXS 3.5x15x50.
Every time I put the scope covers on it, my eye glass smudges. This is aggravating. Do any of you guys use flip up scope covers? And is there any soloution to clean the lens with?
Also when it's cold outside my outer lens fogs. Is there any anti fog that is reccomended for these scopes? I don't want to scratch my glass.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Nightforce NXS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cooyon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased my first high end scope. It was a Nightforce NXS 3.5x15x50.
Every time I put the scope covers on it, my eye glass smudges. This is aggravating. Do any of you guys use flip up scope covers? And is there any soloution to clean the lens with?
Also when it's cold outside my outer lens fogs. Is there any anti fog that is reccomended for these scopes? I don't want to scratch my glass.

Thanks for the help.
</div></div>

I have never had either of those problems. Did your bikini cover not come with a lens cloth? That is all I use for cleaning and find myself rarely having to do that. As for the fog that is particularly odd. I'm not expert on scopes but there may be something wrong. I have shot my scope in 0 - 110 degrees (F) and have had no issues of that sort what so ever.

Sure it isn't mirage?

I use the Nikon anti-fog cloths that are generally available at the sporting good stores. I hunt in MT where the temps can be very cold so a slight breath on the lens will fog them up. The Nikon stuff works well and is easy to apply.

I also use the Butler Creek caps but the whole NF eyepiece rotates so you need to position the eyepiece one so it is out of your way throughout the magnification range you'll be using. Or, just don't have the one on the eyepiece.

Geb

I used the bikini cover on mine with no issues. Is there any grease or residue on the inside of the caps? Also, invest in a lenspen. They're just a few bucks, but they work great and if used right, won't scratch your lenses like some cloths will (Lenspens have a brush to wipe away all dirt first before cleaning. If you don't do that with a cloth, your microfiber will pick up the dust grains and act like sandpaper).

As for antifog, never had an issue here in MI where 90% humidity is a common occurrence year round. Especially if it's a brand new scope, I would contact nightforce before you start applying anything to the lenses as it may void your warranty.

Dustin it's the NXS mil-dot reticle. And it's the bikini covers that came with the scope. I cleaned them just to make sure there was no oil or grease on them but it still smudges my glass on the eye end. I don't understand it? I use the soft cloth that came with the scope to clean it with. As far as the fog, I'm in south Louisiana where the humidity is 1000%. I hunted with it several mornings in the 30s and it fogged on the outside. I thought that was uncommon for a Nightforce scope. It sucks when prime time is here and your high end scope is fogged. I may call Nightforce as ask them why this is happening. Don't get me wrong this is the cats meow in scopes. I love it just a little dissapointed with the fog issue.

The only time I have ever seen a scope fog on the out side is when the scope is taken from a cold area to a warmer one which causes the warmer more moist air to the lower temp of the air around the colder scope causing it to hold less moisture and condense on the scope. Same idea when an iced drink gets condensation on the outside of the glass it is in. I don't think it's a scope problem. JMO.

I have the same issue during the winter here, and I am using the bulter creek see through covers. Just leave them closed and wipe them off instead.

Had to modify the 56mm cover by using the number 11, fitting it over a number 10 with the lens cut off. It them slips inside the sun shade of the scope. Used RTV to keep it from slipping out then.