• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes nightforce options

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
OK! I have just received my Rem 700-sps tactical 308, B&C A2 stock, 20 MOA base and leupold rings. It is now time to purchase the glass! I want a nightforce scope and would like to keep it around $1800 +/-. What model/series that you would guys would suggest. The gun is going to be used shooting out to 800 yards and would like to be capable of shooting farther when I upgrade the barrel without having to buy a different scope. I would rather spend the money now on something that will be more than capable of meeting my needs. Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.

Re: nightforce options

Are you going to shoot MOA or MIL?

Get a NSX 5.5-22x56 in NP-R1, high speed turrets, and zero stops. You'll never look back.

I like my 3.5-15x50 npr2 pretty well. Was shooting out to 1,000 yesterday. Sitting at about 10x because of extensive mirage.

That is until you decide to start shooting mil, then you'll be selling it on here for 1300 to 1400. I have a friend with four of them and he is now shooting his F1 high speed with the mlr2 reticle all the time now. I venture a guess he will be trying to unload a couple of them soon. I bought the 5.5 x 22 but with high speed turrets and mlr reticle, even though it's second focal I still shoot it along with my ffp scopes.

If you are target shooting then I would get the 5.5-22. There isn't much difference in size and weight of 50 vs. 56mm objectives, but you will want to consider rings height and how much dusk/dawn shooting you will be doing to pick between the two.

If however, you are shooting moving targets, or want a lighter lower profile rig, I would go with the 3.5-15x50 not only for the wider field of view but also because you can get it in FFP. 15x with a nighforce is enough to get you out to the limits of 308win.

For reticles....NP-R1 if you prefer MOA because of the 1 MOA elevation hashes, instead of 2 MOA elevation for NP-R2. MLR if you prefer mil, because holdovers are easier with hashes then with mildot.

I have a 5.5-22x56mm and 8-32x56mm. They are both good scopes and if I could only have one, today I'd probably choose the 5.5-22. They both have NP-R2's and work great. The more I shoot the 8-32 the more I like it. I might change my mind soon if I keep shooting the 8-32.

I would recommend that you go with the 56mm if you go above 15 power. I believe it helps with the resolution.