• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NightForce or Vortex Razor HD?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I am having a .300WM currently being built @ Warner Tool and I cant decide on which optic to put on it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS (NP-R1)</span>
<span style="text-decoration: underline">or</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50</span>

There is only about a $380 difference in prices.

Another thing is I already bought Badger Ordnance 30mm USMC DMR 1.031" rings for a 30mm optic and the Razor is a 35mm so I would have to buy another set of rings. Believe me tho, im not going to let a set of rings hold me back from a decision.

What would you choose?

I mainly only shoot target from 100yrds - 1,150yrds.

I currently have a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS on 6.5 Grendel build and I love it. By far one of the best built optics I have ever bought.

Re: NightForce or Vortex Razor HD?

Between those two models, Razor for sure the razor has better feature set than the NF model you mentioned. For me its not really an apples to apples comparison. The Razor is a damn fine scope you won't be disappointed.

I have a NF F1 and the Vortex Razor HD both are mil/mil. I like the Razor over the NF. The one thing I would do differently is to have purchased different rings for the Razor HD. Like Seekins or TPS 35mm rings, instead of the Vortex rings. One other thing the Razor is 5 oz heavier than the NF F1. Not a big deal unless you have to lug it around on an already heavy tactical rifle.

Here's a pic of the scope mounted:

IMG_0005-2-1.jpg

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a NF F1 and the Vortex Razor HD both are mil/mil. I like the Razor over the NF. The one thing I would do differently is to have purchased different rings for the Razor HD. Like Seekins or TPS 35mm rings, instead of the Vortex rings.
Jamie </div></div>
Why don't you like the Vortex rings? Why is Seekins or TPS better?

the Razor 35mm rings are top notch and I mean, top notch just pricey. I am opting for the F1 on the next build but, the OP asked about an NXS not, an F1. And I'm not going with the F1 because I don't like the Razor, I just wanna flat black scope on the next rifle and that's it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you like the Vortex rings? Why is Seekins or TPS better? </div></div>

Well for starters they are $199. They are heavy and no better than any other rings. You can get TPS in Aluminum Alloy for half the price of the Vortex rings and they a lighter. Seekins Precision Rings are half the price of the Vortex HD rings and have a better finish.

Jamie

I'm going to give Vortex a year or two to work out the little issues with the Razor. Till then, NF. Proven reliability never hurts.

Keep in mind the "new" NF heavy hitter is coming out in a few months.It might be out before you get your new rifle back from Dan.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex has some new rings that will be available shortly and they are just as good as ours. Actually come from the same batch
smile.gif
</div></div>

Are the rings going to be the same price as your rings. Because if they are not I will buy you rings over theirs.

Jamie

I chose Vortex Razor for myself - figured that I'm not going to combat just yet, and if there are more issues with the scope - Vortex CS will take care of it. They've been spectacular so far. Plus one cannot argue with this scope capabilities.

Nightforce has established reputation, that's true. So you pays your money and you makes your choice.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
zerostop1.jpg

zerostop2.jpg
</div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDt4rlQXuLM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDt4rlQXuLM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I would invite you to look at Figure #4 & #5 from Nightforce and 1:17 on the Vortex Video. While I do not know this for a fact I do see some striking similarities to the construction.

Both are great companies and I fully acknowledge the heritage that Nightforce does that have. All that being said I think both scopes offer great functionality and you will be served well by either scope.

I would recommend you get behind each of them and see how they work for YOU.

I’m very happy with the Vortex Razor 5x20x50, I haven’t had any issues and it handles the 338 Lapua well

I replaced a NXS with a Razor HD and I'm 100% happy with my choice. They're both great scopes, but the Razor is my favorite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind the "new" NF heavy hitter is coming out in a few months.It might be out before you get your new rifle back from Dan.

Steve </div></div>

Good thing to keep in mind!

Im leaning towards the NF at this moment.

We will see what I finally decide on in a few months when I get my rifle back and post pics to then see what kind of optic is sitting on top of it.

I seen the models where you could get the .300WM turrets with 190gr. SMK adjustments but that model is hard to find online.
Any websites to find this model???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind the "new" NF heavy hitter is coming out in a few months.It might be out before you get your new rifle back from Dan.

Steve</div></div>
What is the "new" NF heavy hitter that you speak of?

Nightforce. I have the 5.5-22x50 NP-R1 Zero Stop. Nothing bad to say about it.

It would be nice to hear from those who actually used both scopes - rather than from those who chose and tried just one.

For example, I chose Razor - but having no experience with NF, how much use would be my opinion on comparing the two?

Seems like quite a few folks that have owned both have chimed in on this. I see more that have never owned a Razor recommending the NF, based on reputation, rather than actually using both. Seems that from the comments so far those that changed to the Razor after owning a NF are quite happy with the change.
I have never owned either one, but do think that they are both fine optics. Vortex is really offering some wonderful optics though and that is hard to dispute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind the "new" NF heavy hitter is coming out in a few months.It might be out before you get your new rifle back from Dan.

Steve</div></div>
What is the "new" NF heavy hitter that you speak of? </div></div>

It's all conjecture at this point as to the specifics for us folks not in the loop but I suspect a 5-25x FFP or similar.

Steve

its hard to argue w/ the Razor at sub $2000 INCLUDING rings, sunshade, ARD, ACD....i have the Razor b/c of this value...

If NF could offer the 5.5-22 in FFP with zero stop for under 2k, I think they would sell like hot cakes. But I bet they are going to be 22-2600 or so a little much IMO.

CJG

I have 2 NFs both with MOA/MOA configs. They are the beat so far I have had and I have had a bunch of others.

I had a Razor and have an F1 and you wont go wrong with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its hard to argue w/ the Razor at sub $2000 INCLUDING rings, sunshade, ARD, ACD....i have the Razor b/c of this value... </div></div>

Could you pm me the dealer who is offering this?

Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whiteLiftedz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its hard to argue w/ the Razor at sub $2000 INCLUDING rings, sunshade, ARD, ACD....i have the Razor b/c of this value... </div></div>

Thank you </div></div>
PM sent.

Originally Posted By: whiteLiftedz71Originally Posted By: 30caluserits hard to argue w/ the Razor at sub $2000 INCLUDING rings, sunshade, ARD, ACD....i have the Razor b/c of this value...

could you also pm me with this info. I think that the razor is a great choice considering the price and what you are getting. RG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rundm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: whiteLiftedz71Originally Posted By: 30caluserits hard to argue w/ the Razor at sub $2000 INCLUDING rings, sunshade, ARD, ACD....i have the Razor b/c of this value...

could you also pm me with this info. I think that the razor is a great choice considering the price and what you are getting. RG

</div></div>

your over your PM limit....its a SH vendor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rundm said:
Originally Posted By: whiteLiftedz71Originally Posted By: 30caluserits hard to argue w/ the Razor at sub $2000 INCLUDING rings, sunshade, ARD, ACD....i have the Razor b/c of this value...

</div></div>

Yes....I'm interested to hear also.

Get ahold of Scott at Liberty Optics. He will do you right.

Steve </div></div>

I keep hearing about a new NF scope but have yet to hear what it is or when it is coming out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind the "new" NF heavy hitter is coming out in a few months.It might be out before you get your new rifle back from Dan.

Steve</div></div>
What is the "new" NF heavy hitter that you speak of? </div></div>

It's all conjecture at this point as to the specifics for us folks not in the loop but I suspect a 5-25x FFP or similar.

Steve </div></div>

Talked to NF at SHOT Show and they said they didn't have any plans in the near future for an FFP. The 22x is in the works, but we're not going to see anything anytime soon.

Every scope has pro's and cons' These two scopes are both going to take care of you. I would encourage you to look behind each one. There are some subtle differences in the reticles which could only be rated from pure personal preference.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

I own a nightforce but I got to shoot the razor a couple week ago at the range and was very impressed at the low light clarity.. BUT at the same time even though i was very impressed with the razor and the guy that owned it said he swares by it, i have a problem with the fact that vortex would make such low end scopes that really aren' t that great at all.. I worked at a local gun store on the weekends last year during the winter (paying off my tab) and we had a lot of vortex crossfires and a diamondback come back broken.. some had the illumination go out on the crossfires and others had reticle and tracking issues.. i am a FIRM beleiver in you get what you pay for but at the same time when i see that vortex simble, those broken scopes are the first thing that comes to mind...

i've been reading a lot and researching an option for my .308 semi-auto (iron ridge upper and lower) build. both of these are high on my 'possible' list.

that is, unless i take the jump into the slightly higher price range and figure on something from premier as well.