• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes nightforce questions

kcshooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Kansas City
i am going to be getting my m40a3 back from ga precision here in the next week or so, and i am looking to buy a nightforce for it. I have been looking around and am not sure what to go with i know i want zero stop, and the high speed turrets. I am just not 100% sure what magnification to go with. i will be shooing out to 600 yards and the occasional 1000 yards. Should i go with the 3.5-15 or spend the extra coin on the 5.5-22

Re: nightforce questions

I was faced with a similar issue .. I went with the 5.5-22 for two reasons.

1. Never know when you will need the extra mag.. most of the time I am dialed down but occasionally I will use that extra power.

2. Buy once cry once ...

I would also consider looking at Mil Mil for your elivation and windage knobs... espically if you go with MLR2 since your reticle is in mil why have MOA as an adjustment.

3-15 is more than enough for out to 600 and will be fine to 1000. That said the extra mag would be nice to have. If you want ffp and a NF you have to go with the 3-15.

Since today is the first day of shot show, maybe there will be news of 5-25 ffp NF. I can only hope.

What size targets? Man size or steel prairie dogs? This is the critical question nobody asked when determining scope magnification. Full size IPSC at 1K - 10x, p. dogs at 600 - 22x. And remember "dialing down" with a SFP scope is a PITA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size targets? Man size or steel prairie dogs? This is the critical question nobody asked when determining scope magnification. Full size IPSC at 1K - 10x, p. dogs at 600 - 22x. And remember "dialing down" with a SFP scope is a PITA.
</div></div>

If you are using the reticle to range then yes it can be ....

I had a 4.5 to 14 and I always wanted just a little more ... if there were a scope that offered 18 or 19 that would be perfect for me ... I usually shoot plates IPSC at 800 sometimes at 1000.

my eyes are getting older so just that extra bit of mag really helps.

As for ranging ..I will turn the scope up to full and then range using mildot master and then power down for the shot. I do that usually because of mirage is too bad at 22.

good luck

Didn't say anything about ranging. Talking about wind holds with a SFP at a magnification other than at what the reticle is calibrated.

well i will be shooting at man sized steel targets. The land i will be shooting on is a friends land and he has a very bad racoon and coyote problem so if i happen to see a racoon at 400 yards i would like to be able to see it rather will, or be able to shoot a coyote at 600 yards in the field behind my house. If it makes a difference i went with the standard 7.62 (.308) on the rifle so anything past 1200 yards is beyond the effective range

Definitely spend the extra money and get then5.5-22x. As I've said to others, you can always dial back down if you need less magnification but if you have a 3.5-15x, that's all you get.

The 5.5x22 is a great scope, I love them, but......your getting a M40A3, god intended to only have one scope on it. I say save your penny's and follow gods will.

Oh to the puritans out there, I know the corps put on two different scopes on the A3, but the 100 looks right.

5.5X22 is IMHO the best all around magnification range.

I get along with my FF1 on my 308 out 600 easily. Since all my service rifle iron sights are 1/4 & 1/2 MOA clicks I went with the MOA version on my First focal plane scope. I didn't want any more variables in my come ups and it works dam well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size targets? Man size or steel prairie dogs? This is the critical question nobody asked when determining scope magnification. Full size IPSC at 1K - 10x, p. dogs at 600 - 22x. <span style="color: #FF6666">And remember "dialing down" with a SFP scope is a PITA.</span>
</div></div>

It's not so bad if you have one of these:

http://www.3gunstuff.com/?page_id=6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size targets? Man size or steel prairie dogs? This is the critical question nobody asked when determining scope magnification. Full size IPSC at 1K - 10x, p. dogs at 600 - 22x. <span style="color: #FF6666">And remember "dialing down" with a SFP scope is a PITA.</span>
</div></div>

It's not so bad if you have one of these:

http://www.3gunstuff.com/?page_id=6 </div></div>

I have four of those. Chris is a friend.

Again, I was referring to wind holds with a SFP scope at a magnification other than what the reticle is calibrated.

It does ... but I do the math in my head dependant on what magnification I am at.

I also have it down on my dope book-- never really been a problem for me.

I was faced with the same question. I went with the 3.5-15x50 for one main reason, I wanted the reticle to be correct for wind holds. The extra mag would be nice, but without the scope being a front focal plane I can accept less mag for the correct reticle scale at 15x.

I've shot steel out to a mile with mine. Yes, the mile steel was small in the scope. But out to 1k yards 1 MOA and larger size targets are acceptable.

Keep in mind, that even if you have higher magnification, sometimes it's difficult to use it (see through the scope) due to atmospheric conditions. This hasn't been a concern at 15x, but it was occasionally on a 20x scope I had.

I've had a few scopes with different powers, I prefer the 15-17x range for the type of shooting I do (precision shooting w/ field conditions, steel targets).

There is one on the boards for 1495 but does not have high speed turrets...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would hold off until after SHOT Show to see if anything new comes out. I'm still waiting for info on The Beast. </div></div>

I keep hoping too. I have a feeling if it were being unveiled we'd already know it. Maybe NRA meeting?

There have at least unveiled the MOAR reticule or whatever it's called.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely spend the extra money and get then5.5-22x. As I've said to others, you can always dial back down if you need less magnification but if you have a 3.5-15x, that's all you get. </div></div>

I love my NXS 5.5-22x50 with hs & zs. It makes life much easier with the hs & zs.

I have the 5.5-22.56 currently on a 700/AICS200 build and it's a fantastic scope. It also never has to be carried further than the line at a match or to the bench at my local range.

If i was planning to carry it around in the field, I'd be much happier with the 3-15x50.