• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Reticle choice???

sageebr24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
East TN
I am looking at getting a Nightforce NXS and there are alot of choices in reticles. So my question is what do you all think is the best one and why. This will be my first high end optic I've always shot more pistols and shot idpa so all recomendations will be greatly apprieciated. I shoot more static targets probably no longer than 400 to 500 yards but want good accuracy. Thanks

Re: Nightforce Reticle choice???

I've really not used either one yet so just starting to learn so i guess i would need suggestions on which is easier to use i know my ballistics calculator will do either.

My buddiea rifle has a mil swarovski that i have used a few times but not enough to be real familiar or have a preference yet.

For MOA - MOAR or NP-R1

MOAR
nightforcemoarreticle.jpg

NP-R1

c2301.png

For MIL - MLR2

mlr2.png

Is there any advantage to either one? Is one esier to use than the other?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sageebr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any advantage to either one? Is one esier to use than the other?</div></div>

It's personal preference. I've always used MOA and it's comfortable for me. A lot of people like the MIL system having switched from MOA or always used it. The MOA system works with inches and the MIL system uses mils.

Since this is Snipershide I say MLR2 with .1MRAD knobs.

Always pick the correct tool for the job, there 21600 MOAs in 360 degrees, its a finer unit of adjustment, this is why MOAs are the choice for BR and F-Class where static fixed distance are the norm. Mils have 6283 in a circle, its a corser unit of adjustment better suited for rapid shots at varying distances, MOAs are not inches and Mils are not metric, I have used both and vastly perfer Mils for this type of shooting, should I ever return to the world of F-Class I will be using a MOA scope.

Thanks that was a lot of help I'm going to save that for future reference.

Another question at 500 yards or less would the 15 power or 22 power be better i just don't want to buy the lower power only to find out i needed more. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sageebr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question at 500 yards or less would the 15 power or 22 power be better i just don't want to buy the lower power only to find out i needed more. Thanks</div></div>

You can always dial down but if you're maxed at 15x, you're screwed. Get the 22x.

Being that NF scopes are relatively pricey and you don't know what reticle language you can understand easiest I would go drop a couple bucks on a moa and a mil scope and find out which one works best for you for what you want to accomplish - a couple grand out and not happy with your choice would suck -

For what it's worth I ordered mine about a month ago with the MLR2.0 reticle...absolutely love it

I do most of my shooting at 1k around 15-17 power, I don't think 15x isn't enough, more power is nice though when needing to identify a target. Have you looked at Vortex Razors, very nice scopes with glass equal to NF, and 5-20x50 FFP, standard is the one thing I can't live without now which is a Zero Stop, they also come in MOA reticles and knobs, Mil reticles and knobs.

I shoot my F1 a lot at various distances out to 1100. I have the earlier MLR2, it is a great scope and reticle. My only gripe is I could use a little more power when you get out to 1000, it just makes it easier to pick your hold. Other than that it has all you need.

You need to think about what you will shoot the most. Tacticle? F/TR? BR? Picking the right reticle is important!

I'm glad i asked this i had some idea how much wen into long range shooting but had no idea that there was this much to consider. I've been shooting pistols and short range rifles for years but looks like i have a lot more research and range time to put in before i make a final decision. Thank you all very much for the input.

I have always been a np-r1 man until I got the moar reticle. Now it's my reticle of choice.

+1 on the MOAR. Have a 5.5x22x50 mounted on a McMillan and very impressed with the reticle. I have scopes with LR varmint, duplex, Mildot etc. and the MOAR i s now my favorite.

sageeber,
If the MIL based NF scopes are harder to find, it might be because they are more popular? I have 2 NF F1's with MLR2 reticles, and couldn't be happier.

When I was in your position, I was bewildered by the options available with reticles and Mil/Moa knobs. I asked a very experienced shooter here on SH, he told me to go Mil/Mil NF F1. I'm glad I did.

NPR1 is a nice fine reticle. Well suited for target shooting.

I just had my gun out at 600 yesterday. Freezing cold and blowing snow. Even with the reduced visibility, 10x was more than enough to make solid hits. 15x was really overkill.

Both of my NF's have the FC-2 reticle. THey are a bit harder to find, but my preference by far. It is the simplest, cleanest reticle they offer IMHO. You are cheating yourself if you don't give every option a look at this price point