• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce reticle question

gunslinger07

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Dallas texas
In the process of buying a GAP 308, from a fellow member. I'm going to go with a nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1, 99% sure on it. My question is on the reticle selection. I like the idea of the LV.5 for speed, but does it really work that well? My main use for this will be target shooting to 1000 eventually, I have access to 700 right now. I also intend to hunt with it, but only progress to longer ranges as my comfort grows.

Re: Nightforce reticle question

I don't have a scope with that style of reticle, however, I have shot with one. Consider they are only as useful as your knowledge base. In other words, if you don't have your ballistics memorized so you can use the hold overs and you have to come off the scope to look at a dope chart, then you could have dialed an adjustment and not lost much in time.

Make sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a scope with that style of reticle, however, I have shot with one. Consider they are only as useful as your knowledge base. In other words, if you don't have your ballistics memorized so you can use the hold overs and you have to come off the scope to look at a dope chart, then you could have dialed an adjustment and not lost much in time.

Make sense? </div></div>

Yes. I just liked the idea of knowing the distance and holding over the appropriate amount, no dialing needed for say.

In my opinion, you would be better off with MLR 2.0 or moar. They can be used for holdovers with any trajecyory /caliber. Whereas the velocity reticle is only good for a specific cartridge with specific velocity and bullet.

I agree with sandbogg I just purchased the same scope myself. I am a big fan of the npr1 reticle since I'm and MOA kind of guy either way that or a mil based one would be your better choice. You memorize your dope and you can use it the same way you would the velocity reticle but the benefit is it is useable on any caliber so if you change calibers later you will still be able to use the same scope

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to go with the NPR1, the moar isnt available with the ffp model to my knowledge and I prefer MOA over mils. Thanks for the advice!

Anyone know of one at a good price? I went way over budget on the rifle, but I'm not slacking off on glass because if it. I figured I'd do like the government and just raise my debt ceiling

if you are wanting new pm one of the sponsors they seem to be as cheap as anywhere ive found and if no hurry a deal will pop up on here soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunslinger07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of one at a good price? I went way over budget on the rifle, but I'm not slacking off on glass because if it. I figured I'd do like the government and just raise my debt ceiling </div></div>

Lol, the gov has no real debt ceiling but we all do. Support a sponsor for new or buy a used one from a member. Either way is supportive & good luck on the hunt!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunslinger07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of one at a good price? I went way over budget on the rifle, but I'm not slacking off on glass because if it. I figured I'd do like the government and just raise my debt ceiling </div></div>

Lol, the gov has no real debt ceiling but we all do. Support a sponsor for new or buy a used one from a member. Either way is supportive & good luck on the hunt!
</div></div>

Yeah I did the math and decided to go with the 3.5-15X56mm zero stop NPR1, it was much cheaper. I decided the FFP would be nice, but not worth the extra $$$ right now. I'll upgrade to it someday, but for my first precision rifle this will work to learn on. I also got a Swarovski 8x30 1500 laser rangefinder. Chris at Sport optics hooked me up with both at a good price.