• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NightForce scope pictures

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I want to paint my NightForce scope, and I am currently looking for ideas, patterns etc.

If you have a painted NightForce scope, post it up here so we can all see..

Thanks!

Re: NightForce scope pictures

Here's mine. Painted with Cerakote, then I used white paint stix to high light the numbers. Very time consuming. Tried other colors but they smeared too much.
sale001.jpg

I have a couple I'd love to paint; I'm just too worried that I'd muck up a $1500 optic. Are there any good tutorials on *how* to do it?

Pinzman, that is a VERY NICE paint job! One of the best I've seen, in fact.

Pinzmann how on earth did you do that? !!!

You must have painted miniatures in a past life.

That looks awesome, Pinzmann. Painting the numbers almost seems painful.

Pinzmann, that is very impressive. How is the white holding up?

Everything is holding up good. When first applied it leaves a light haze in the area depending on how smooth the surface is. The rougher the surface, the harder it is to get the excess off. I tried black but it just turned out too messy. There's someone else on this site that even does a better job. Actually after use the tan color gets a little dirty from my fingers constantly rotating the knobs.

Let me ask you guys this. I'm sure everyone has seen a car "wrapped" with some sort of graphics and advertisement. How do you think this will work by having a scope "wrapped?"
Pros, cons? I'm all ears.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinzmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine. Painted with Cerakote, then I used white paint stix to high light the numbers. Very time consuming. Tried other colors but they smeared too much.
sale001.jpg
</div></div>

If you dont mind me asking. How did you bake the cerakote and not fuck up the scope???

I used the air dry cerakote. Much easier to apply. Dries to touch in 1 hr and complete in 24hrs. I just did a complete rifle with this air dry stuff. Will see how durable it is over time.

I found a guy locally that does Duracoating for scopes. He was explaining the "prep" process to me. He stated that in order for the duracoat to adhere properly, he needed to sand or bead blast the scope and take off the glossy finish from the factory. I was like eeeeeeek!!! Here is a $1800 scope that has never been mounted, and he is talking about taking off the factory finish?

Does this sound right?

Any ideas on the prep process?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found a guy locally that does Duracoating for scopes. He was explaining the "prep" process to me. He stated that in order for the duracoat to adhere properly, he needed to sand or bead blast the scope and take off the glossy finish from the factory. I was like eeeeeeek!!! Here is a $1800 scope that has never been mounted, and he is talking about taking off the factory finish?

Does this sound right? </div></div>

Who needs a close up? Thats bad ass! Who painted it for you? Cost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B VEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a close up, but you get the idea.

gun005.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who needs a close up? Thats bad ass! Who painted it for you? Cost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B VEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a close up, but you get the idea.

gun005.jpg
</div></div> </div></div>

I painted it.

$5.00 worth of krylon.

NICE!!! How did you prep the scope? What kind of degrease did you use? Also, did you have to sand the scope down for the paint to adhere too?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B VEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who needs a close up? Thats bad ass! Who painted it for you? Cost?

gun005.jpg
</div></div> </div></div>

I painted it.

$5.00 worth of krylon. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30CAL- Who painted your scopes? </div></div>

He did. That's what he does and he rocks at it...er as you can tell

I just degrease with rubbing alchohol, cover the lens, tape off the stuff I don't want paint on and go at it. No sanding or blasting.

B- I bought some Krylon, and tested it on a piece of Aluminum. It went on fine. When I went to apply a second coat the next day, the new paint was causing the the paint that was already applied to peel and bubble off. It looked like I was spraying mineral spirits on the aluminum. Both coats came from the same Krylon can.. Just a little aggravated by it.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Could it have been a humidity problem, or maybe waiting to long in between coats? I'm pretty sure that krylon recommends less than 24 hours between coats. Be sure to read the back of the can for specs. It usually only takes me 20-30 minutes to camo a rifle after everything is taped off and ready to go.

Yea, its killing me!! I just got done taping off everything. I bit the bullet, and just sprayed the scope. The can says recoat within 1hr or after 24hrs. I also cleaned off the scope with rubbing alcohol.. Its drying now in the garage. Ill be back in there in about 30min or so for a second coat. I noticed when I was spraying on the first coat, the paint in some areas looked like it was having a hard time sticking to the scope. Kinda looked like oil mixed with water effect..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
0bb1acb1.jpg

6c29776c.jpg

9a0e4961.jpg

440da2be.jpg
</div></div>

Todd you might as well go ahead and put my name on the list for one of those fancy paint jobs;)

I sure after I get the rifle back it will be sent to you for a little multicam

By the way.....Is that FDE metal???

I'm not sure how the anodizing affects pours of the aluminum, but I do know that aluminum will soak up oils much more than steel because its so porous. They make special acids to get the pours clean and allow the paint to adhere.

If this next try peels as well I would run by sherwan williams and see what they have in stock.

Oh, and KILLER LOOKING SCOPE PINZMANN!!!!

How do you effectively cover the lenses?? Do you leave your caps on and have areas unpainted under the caps? Do you plug the inlet for the objective and focal lenses?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
0bb1acb1.jpg

9a0e4961.jpg

</div></div>

Wow, this is impressive work.