• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce scope

Stelane338

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2020
What’s everyone’s opinion of the Nightforce Shv 4-14x50? Just bought one to mount it on my deer rifle.

Sweet. I know now that I made the right choice. It was between that or the LRP from Leupold in same magnification

It's a solid scope. Mine tracks true, field of view is decent, glass is good. The Mil-R reticle is very bold which helps in the woods at lower powers. Covered windage is nice for my use. Elevation turret is OK with just a bit of slop between clicks, but not too bad due to the amount of spacing between clicks. Zero stop also is kinda weird. My only real complaints are that it has 5 mil-per-turn turrets and that compared to some of my other scopes, the sight picture shows a little more of the scope around the outside, like I am looking through a tube. But for the $1200-ish I paid, I expected some compromises. As I said, it tracks true. For my use, which is now on a .260 hunting rifle, it is fantastic (although a little long and heavy), and I love the (mostly) daylight bright center-only illumination. I can trust it, which is the main thing I care about on a hunting rifle. Reliability trumps bells and whistles.

I suppose you are correct unless he bought one in person. But still, wouldn't you want feedback and input prior to making the purchase?

Haha! Yup that’s the logical progression, but I’ve been there done that. Hit the buy button and then start looking for the skinny. Usually involves some sort of alcoholic beverage consumption. ?

Reactions: stello1001
NF NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR. So kinda new to LRM accessories, a little annoyed and looking for advice. The scope is awesome, my first NF, all others mainly have been Leupold. I've never put a sun shade on one of my scopes accept for the NF which came with one at about 3.5-4 inches.
I have noticed with it on, it seems to show a black ring similar to not be out of eye releaf zone. It doesn't move the same though. This seems to show through all mag ranges. What length of shade is helpful but not intrusive? I like doing LRM but my rifle are mainly for hunting, so some light transmission is necessary. Is there a happy medium?

I really like it don't get me wrong, just new on the sun shade deal. I would take the NXS over my Leupold VX6-HDs, which aren't shabby either. With the HDs I never messed with sun shades as they have some sort of twilight deal, which sun shade in my mind would defeat the purpose.

The NXS has amazing clarity with the shade, but I can see the value in having it on. Just curious on what's overkill and what would be considered useless in a dual purpose rifle.

Definitely a great optic man! The turrets are fantastic, because lets be honest, its a nightforce. I love the feel. Glass quality on them is great I sell a lot of them to hunters and even a few of the SHV to my target guys as well. I noticed the glass quality for something NF considers to be their lower end scope to still perform very well in daylight as well as twilight! I don't think you made a bad choice at all!

If you don't want to own anything other that NF don't ever, I mean ever, ever, ever, look through one. My cousin was having trouble with one of his rifles getting it to shoot so he brought it to me and had me tinker with it. I tried to buy it as it had a NF NXS on it. He didn't sell me that gun, but he did have a new NF in his safe he let me have for what he had in it. They are amazing in my humble opinion; the ability to see at distance is incredible and I never want to look through anything better so please don't tell what that might be.

My hunting pard uses them on his rifles, they have a lot to like.

202FF616-DA40-43C2-BA06-0ECB275BDD68.jpeg