• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NIghtforce Scopes - Benchrest vs tactical

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
What's the differences between Nightforce <span style="text-decoration: line-through">varmint</span> benchrest and their tactical scopes in construction and quality??

Re: NIghtforce Scopes - Varmint vs tactical

They don't have varmint scopes. They are bench rest scopes. Main differences are...parallax location (at the objective), turrets are not exposed and you can get 1/8 MOA adjustments along with the ocular focus not having a locking ring.

If you are looking for something rugged to bring with you hunting and you think you are going to bop it around...There BR models may not be for you as they are not as durable because they are not designed have that done to them. The NXS models are pretty damn tough. The big question is...What do you want out of your optic?

They are also very good in the quality department. Two different purposes though.

EDIT - Also the illumination is on top of the ocular instead of being on the parallax knob on the NXS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was thinking of putting it on a long range AR15 or FNAR</div></div>

If you want to stay with NF I would go with the 2.5x10x32 for an AR15 platform and for the FNAR I would go with the 3.5x15x50.

In your case i would go with the NXS model over the BR model. The NXS is seriously a very good value for money scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In your case i would go with the NXS model over the BR model. The NXS is seriously a very good value for money scope.</div></div>

+1

Good choice, you wont regret it.

As us aussies would say, "They are built like a brick shit house", track superbly, shit loads of elevation adjustments and when you run out of ammo you can then take off the scope and smite zombies over the head it and it will still work fine !

There are some obvious differences in the controlls of the nxs and the benchrest scopes. But as far as the optical quality and the construction (durability) the two are the same. You will not go wrong with any Nightforce , you just need to choose the ont that will fit your needs.

I'm in love with the NXS x24, and it would meet your needs for a Semi quite well. They've discontinued them, unfortunately....but you may be able to find a gently used one if you look hard enough. The x32 is a good option as well...but it's still bigger / longer / heavier.

I agree with GunGuru727 recs for your rifles. That's all you need for the range of your AR15 & FNAR. However, if you are just shooting paper and want to see bullet holes at distance, then you can get higher mag with the trade-off of more bulk and weight.

Re: NIghtforce Scopes - Benchrest vs tactical

You will see the varmint/BR scope on a lot of 1,000 yd, BR guns because of the 1/8" clicks. The double dot reticle is also a great reticle for fixed long range target shooting. You rarely see them on the short range br rifles because of the weight. Hovever, you sometimes see them on the varmint for score br rigs because of the 1/8" clicks. Prior the the NXS the varmint/br version was the best game in town for long range varmint. If you have to make quick parallex changes the NXS is the only one to go with. Good luck

DW,
You sound like a better candidate for a NXS.

+1 on zombie smiting...dang aussies..ha

I just traded my 12-42 BR for a nxs 5.5-22 because the 42 is just too plain heavy. that and I just got a new Rock from GAP and needed a tactical scope, not a BR scope. Even tho the 42 was heavy, it translated directly to durability and it tracked like a dream. But i dont need the finitness of 1/8 clicks in tactical or the overbearing of high zoom, so I traded for smaller scope.

Bottom line, different strokes for different applications...

I know some guy like the 5.5-22x50mm on their AR's, but I agree go the NXS 2.5-10x or the NF 3.5-15x would be the way to go.

We are a dealer for Nightforce so if we can be of help feel free to ask.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some obvious differences in the controlls of the nxs and the benchrest scopes. But as far as the optical quality and the construction (durability) the two are the same. You will not go wrong with any Nightforce , you just need to choose the ont that will fit your needs. </div></div>

I have 2 BR scopes and will "second" what was said here.

I have a couple of each(now) and my reasoning for my first NF BR model was:
NF quality at a better price than the NXS.

When I was studying them I read the BR model has one less piece(side focus vs AO) of glass therefore it would be clearer at long ranges( I have both now and can not confirm that)
AO is fine with me since my Hunter Pistol Guns have AO scopes on them and I am comfortable with it.

I'm not a paid shooter, my life or others is not dependant on my rifle/optics. I'm not going to be in a "sitiuation"

Adjustable Illumination brightness on the BR.

I might shoot in F class matches some day.

I think it was worth the $3-400 savings over the NXS.

Now that I have both to compare side by side, I would still by a BR if I only intended to shoot off a bench at a gunclub range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the differences between Nightforce <span style="text-decoration: line-through">varmint</span> benchrest and their tactical scopes in construction and quality?? </div></div>

Yep Construction and quality of parts.

Mike @ CST

to those looking i saw a amazing price on a nsx in the classifieds this morning. it was 1150ish for a 5.5-22