• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1

longrange454

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2014
N.W. ILL.
Why are there so many appearing for sale on here and other forums. I have the 3-10x42 IHR. That scope i like on my AR Coyote rig.

Not sure. I think they are great scopes. I'm selling mine because I'm switching all my scopes to the same reticle.

Reactions: Broncovan
Anyone use butler creek flip up covers with their SHV F1? Trying to figure out what sizes to get. Just bought on for my hunting scope.

I use the Vortex Defender flip caps. The Eyepiece cap fits fine and the O-50 fits perfectly.
If I sell my SHV F1, it will be for a "tree" reticled scope with slightly higher magnification, such as 4-20.

Last edited:
I’ve used one enough to say I don’t have eye box issues with it, nor does the Wife. I also put the Defender caps on it.

I just might stick with the IHR reticle. I'll being using it for night time predator hunting. If i go with the NXS Compact i can get it illuminated.

I think for the money, it’s a FANTASTIC scope. I’d take it EVERYTIME over a Vortex PST. I think that’s the scope that it would be competing against. I have one on a 16” .308 gasser, and have shot it out to 850 successfully. I have done a box test, and a RTZ test on it. Both of which it passed with flying colors. I think I have 13 mils of travel left after zeroing. If I remember correctly.

For around $1000, I think it’s hard to beat the SHV.

Reactions: deersniper
I have the 4-14 F1 mil with the Mil R reticle. I believe that’s which reticle anyway. It’s mils either way.

My other scopes are all S&B’s, so that’s what I’m used to. I really like the SHV for what it is, and at its price point. It fits my gasser perfectly.

Reactions: SCOPEBROKER
I got an SHV F1 on Black Friday with a Kestrel Elite free as the bonus. Heck of a deal, as I was looking for the Kestrel. I intended to sell the scope. But, I kept it cause I liked it. The SHV is a nice scope, and I now have three.

I had an ATACR, great scope. But, I needed more scopes and didn't need the ATACR. I traded the ATACR for another F1 (plus another SHV).

I haven't felt like there is an eye box issue.

Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 is a nice scope. I have one on my Creedmoor and shoot past 1000 yards on steel no problem.
No eye box problem here either. Love the simple reticle too, not busy like some.

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned about a FFP scope and my 72 yr. old eyes. Especially being used for night time hunting. Also is a illuminated reticle going to be a hinderance

I love my F1. No eyebox issues, and the scope seems to perform as well as anything else. Glass is not as good as the ATACR, obviously, but beyond that, I can't tell that one is better or worse when out on the range. Even behind nods, the F1 does a great job and I can use most of the magnification within 350 if I really want to.

longrange454 the illuminated reticle can be turned on and off between each level of intensity as you turn it up. From barley visible to bright, each click is either off or the next level of brightness. So when you are at the level you like, just click once, your off, click either way your on again. The illumination knob is just outboard of the parallax. At first I thought that may be a problem but it hasn't been a problem at all. I think you should take a look at them they come in MOA or MIL reticle.

Thinking about going with this scope for a new 6.5 Creed hunting rifle, that will see some range use as well...would you suggest F1 scope versus the 4-14 x 56 MOAR ?

I'm also worried the 4 - 14 will not be enough for 1000 yrd shooting...thoughts?
A scope with 4-20 is exactly what i'm looking for but I keep coming back to the SHV line in 4-14...

Thinking about going with this scope for a new 6.5 Creed hunting rifle, that will see some range use as well...would you suggest F1 scope versus the 4-14 x 56 MOAR ?

I'm also worried the 4 - 14 will not be enough for 1000 yrd shooting...thoughts?
A scope with 4-20 is exactly what i'm looking for but I keep coming back to the SHV line in 4-14...

Always going to be some trade-offs. SHV is a solid scope for hunting. I have a feeling you will be wanting more like 20x for 6.5 CM, though. You might look at the 5.5-22x NXS. A little more money, but you have to think about how much you are going to be shooting at 800 to 1,000 yrds, v. closer in.

I purchased the f1 SHV for my practice/hunting rig and I’m happy with it. I run my 5-25 atacr on my match rifle and I’m always at 14x, even out to 1185yards last weekend and never felt at a disadvantage

Reactions: FriedAss
Well...I ended up looking through a SHV 5-20 x 56 with MOAR reticle last night at Cabela's (would have bought through forum supporter but I'm in Canada) and could not leave the store without buying it.
I also looked at the NXS but could not justify jumping to that extra price after handling the SHV, and I also looked at the Leopold VX5 which had great glass as well but everything about the SHV felt better and it does rival other expensive scopes with really good glass.

The 5x is a little more then I wanted for hunting but after looking at an unsuspecting stuffed Elk and Cougar in the store i decided it was a winner.
I'm happy to have the 20x for shooting groups and long range practise...was worried the 14x would not be enough for my liking if i had bought it.
Looking forward to mounting on the new 6.5 Creed when it arrives...and hope to tracks and returns to zero as well as the reviews.

Thanks for the comments and advise.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimberyote
They are nice for what they are and the 4-14 F1 is IMO the best of the lineup. I think it's also the only Mil/Mil SHV offering as well.

It's a shame there isn't a 5-20 F1 Mil/Mil model. That would surely sell.

Reactions: kimberyote
Agreed...it would be nice offering if they release a 5-20 F1...they would sell. Maybe next year NIGHTFORCE!?
The only reason I did not buy the F1 was because of the 14x....it just wasn't enough when I compared it to the 5-20 NXS and SHV.
I wish they offered the SHV in a 4-18 or 4-20....that would be a perfect fit for me hunting / target shooting.

Good reliable scope, but it’s a compromise. Too big for a packing rifle (for me personally) and for the same weight I can get better glass with a little more magnification for about the same price.

I’ve bounced it around on a few different guns but it hasn’t found a permanent home.

I’ve not experienced eye relief issues.

That’s a pretty good deal on a scope I hadn’t considered. I guess the only better deal is the Steiner 3-15x50 when it’s on sale, but for a first scope I wouldn’t argue. Definitely look into this next year for my SPR build.