• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

nightforce shv vs nxs vs nx8

Joko111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Maryland
I'm looking at three scopes right now
nxs 2.5-10 42mm
nx8 2.5-20 50mm
shv 3-10
I will be using it for hunting and some long range shooting... the nx8 is at the top of my price range but it seems like a great scope... the nxs just seems like a nice lightweight scope but I'm worried about the small reticle and if the glass is subpar... any recommendations on which to get ?
will be going on a proof research elevation

I do not have an SHV, but i do have the NXS 5.5-22x50 and absolutely love it. I have looked through the SHV and it is great glass, probably close to if not just the same. If you're not worried about that little price difference, I would say just go for the NXS.

Reactions: Joko111
I’ve owned SHVs, NX8s, and ATACRs. Use ATACRs on long range target rifles and SHV 4-14 F1s on my hunting rigs. I didn’t see the reason to pay more for anything more than the SHV, I think the value and features are there and am totally satisfied with my thought process.

I'm looking at three scopes right now
nxs 2.5-10 42mm
nx8 2.5-20 50mm
shv 3-10
I will be using it for hunting and some long range shooting... the nx8 is at the top of my price range but it seems like a great scope... the nxs just seems like a nice lightweight scope but I'm worried about the small reticle and if the glass is subpar... any recommendations on which to get ?
will be going on a proof research elevation

I'd highly recommend you look at the NX8 4-32. It has better optical qualities than the NX82.5-20 and it great running from 6x to about 25x. It gets a little finicky in high mag range because of its length and all with that high a mag range, but for shooting paper high mag (30x-34x) is not an issue. It's a great scope! Imo, there's a big difference between NX8 and SHV. I've compared mine side by side several times.

Reactions: macmo and Snaz
I'd highly recommend you look at the NX8 4-32. It has better optical qualities than the NX82.5-20 and it great running from 6x to about 25x. It gets a little finicky in high mag range because of its length and all with that high a mag range, but for shooting paper high mag (30x-34x) is not an issue. It's a great scope! Imo, there's a big difference between NX8 and SHV. I've compared mine side by side several times.
Will do ...what do you mean by optical quality and also 34 is way to much for what I want to use it for ... 20 even is but at least I’ll have the extra mag when I need it

Will do ...what do you mean by optical quality and also 34 is way to much for what I want to use it for ... 20 even is but at least I’ll have the extra mag when I need it

There's only so much you can get into a short scope and maintain edge clarity, eyebox, ect...

The 4-32 is a little longer and helps with that but it's very close in weight. Practically no one shoots on 32x mag, but like you said, it's there if you need it (like punching paper or something). It's really good in the mag range that you will actually shoot with.

There's only so much you can get into a short scope and maintain edge clarity, eyebox, ect...

The 4-32 is a little longer and helps with that but it's very close in weight. Practically no one shoots on 32x mag, but like you said, it's there if you need it (like punching paper or something). It's really good in the mag range that you will actually shoot with.
See the rifle I have is a proof elevation ... six lb rifle ... I don’t know if having a scope that large is going to work well... other scope I was looking at was the nxs compact... but sounds like this would probably be better glass wise

See the rifle I have is a proof elevation ... six lb rifle ... I don’t know if having a scope that large is going to work well... other scope I was looking at was the nxs compact... but sounds like this would probably be better glass wise

I'd look hard at the vortex AMG too then. It's a really good one and not too heavy. What distances are you trying to shoot mainly?

Nothing wrong with the nxs, either. Good scope

I'd look hard at the vortex AMG too then. It's a really good one and not too heavy. What distances are you trying to shoot mainly?

Nothing wrong with the nxs, either. Good scope
Hunting scenarios no further than 500 but we have 1100 yards on the property to shoot.... not like I will be doing that much tho

I have a mil, mil dot 2.5-10x42 nxs for sale if you go that direction

Hunting scenarios no further than 500 but we have 1100 yards on the property to shoot.... not like I will be doing that much tho

Well, the NX8 4-32 or the AMG is what I'd look hard at for your budget. The MK5 is also good but I just don't trust leupold so I didn't consider it but it's a very good scope to look through. The NX8 sounds ideal for you. Just run is from 10-22x or so and you will love it. NXS is still a great scope though and popular for a reason

So I can find the nx8 2.5-20 for 1600 but the nx8 4-32 is 1900 for a demo sale ... will I lose much if I go with the 2.5-20? They still seem like very good scopes and seem better than the nxs .... if you had to choose between the 2.5-20 nx8 and nxs 2.5-10 compact what would you do

So I can find the nx8 2.5-20 for 1600 but the nx8 4-32 is 1900 for a demo sale ... will I lose much if I go with the 2.5-20? They still seem like very good scopes and seem better than the nxs .... if you had to choose between the 2.5-20 nx8 and nxs 2.5-10 compact what would you do

10x just isn't enough for me personally, so I wouldn't do that. There's lots of guys who shoot 10x out to 1000 though

10x just isn't enough for me personally, so I wouldn't do that. There's lots of guys who shoot 10x out to 1000 though
its mostly for a hunting scope... I wont kill anything past 500 so i figured it would work nicely for that and if i want to shoot longer range it should still work

Reactions: deersniper
its mostly for a hunting scope... I wont kill anything past 500 so i figured it would work nicely for that and if i want to shoot longer range it should still work

It will definitely work. If it's mostly for hunting and you are carrying it a lot, I'd definitely factor that weight in. When you have your gear and your gun, and you are carrying it a long way or through the woods, the weight is a huge factor. I just like to have that 15x or so power.

I own an NX8 and I like it, nice glass and I really like the reticle but it is a heavy scope.

Quality Glass, FFP and the reticle are the things that matter for me. I like power too.

The Vortex AMG that I had was sold because of the floating dot, I did not like the reticle.
My next scope was going to be a F series 3-24X52 from March because of the FFP, the light weight and it had plenty of power. The reticle used by March is what held me back.

If you have the opportunity then you should look thru and heft as many as you can. Don't get stuck on one Brand. Buy quality it holds value.

If the reticle sucks for your needs then how much is the scope really worth to you?

I have 3 NXS in the 5.5-22 version and one in the 8-32 version. All 56 mm. I have one SHV that is something like 5-25. I fucking HATE how the entire ocular rotates when zooming the NXS scopes but their optical quality (all those are about 10 years old) leaves nothing wanting. They are also fairly heavy, but extremely durable. Since I don't jump out of airplanes, helicopter or submarines, this doesn't really mean much to me but knowing I might slip on the mountain and not have to re zero is comforting.
The SHV, although a less expensive line, my old eyes cannot discern any difference in the light gathering. It also does not have the rotation of the ocular while zooming. It's also a tad lighter than the NXS's. I LOVE this scope.
I also have Zeiss, Swarovski and Kahles scopes. One of the Swaros is definitely not any lighter. NONE of these scopes have a rotating ocular.
I think Nightforce finally got it all together on the NX8 version, but I don't have one of those...yet.

I have 3 NXS in the 5.5-22 version and one in the 8-32 version. All 56 mm. I have one SHV that is something like 5-25. I fucking HATE how the entire ocular rotates when zooming the NXS scopes but their optical quality (all those are about 10 years old) leaves nothing wanting. They are also fairly heavy, but extremely durable. Since I don't jump out of airplanes, helicopter or submarines, this doesn't really mean much to me but knowing I might slip on the mountain and not have to re zero is comforting.
The SHV, although a less expensive line, my old eyes cannot discern any difference in the light gathering. It also does not have the rotation of the ocular while zooming. It's also a tad lighter than the NXS's. I LOVE this scope.
I also have Zeiss, Swarovski and Kahles scopes. One of the Swaros is definitely not any lighter. NONE of these scopes have a rotating ocular.
I think Nightforce finally got it all together on the NX8 version, but I don't have one of those...yet.
I've been checking out the nxs 2.5-10 42mm and it seems to check all the boxes for what I am looking for

Look at Swarovski if you want fantastic glass and less weight.

do they have reliable tracking
ScoreHi out of Albuquerque, NM has a great setup for evaluation of the scope for tracking and such. Check them out. ALL of the Swaros, ALL of the Kahles, ALL of the Zeiss and ALL of the NF scopes track true...I mean all of mine do that they have tested for me. If you are after less weight, NF is not in the lightweight list. I chose Swaro for lightweight on my go to deer rifle that weighs about 7 lbs all in, minus ammo and exterior additions like sling, bipod....

ScoreHi out of Albuquerque, NM has a great setup for evaluation of the scope for tracking and such. Check them out. ALL of the Swaros, ALL of the Kahles, ALL of the Zeiss and ALL of the NF scopes track true...I mean all of mine do that they have tested for me. If you are after less weight, NF is not in the lightweight list. I chose Swaro for lightweight on my go to deer rifle that weighs about 7 lbs all in, minus ammo and exterior additions like sling, bipod....
the 2.5-10 42 is 20 oz