• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce "The Beast" details

c1steve

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
WA
Doing a google search, I came across this post on Calguns.net:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=457398

Which linked to Google Patents and the new NF that is due out soon:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=ZdvTAAAAEBAJ

NFdiagram.jpg

NF2.jpg

Re: Nightforce "The Beast" details

What price range will it come in at? If it's up there with an sn-9 it better be a great
scope in a smaller package to out do it. Good to see NightForce address it's glass
too, they obviously pay attention to feedback on the forums. The high speed part of
it only is of interest to me if it saves a lot of wear and tear on the turrets. And of
coarse if it moves the scope body like an sn-9 instead of an erector it will keep things optically centered much better.

I've read other posts saying in the 3600.00 range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mohonri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds pretty cool & expensive! </div></div>

Damned expensive. Way out of my price range for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read other posts saying in the 3600.00 range</div></div>

Wow...that is just nuts!

c1steve your google fu is on bruce lee level. well done sir. so nf is puttin a transmission on their scopes. i bet $4k wont buy em.essentially 35 mil in single rev. wth "heck" uses 35 mils. it def sounds like a cool rig like none other for sure!

Id love to get my hands on something like that. But its a little out of my price range. Hopefully we will get to see some real ones not a technical drawing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The high speed part of it only is of interest to me if it saves a lot of wear and tear on the turrets. And of course if it moves the scope body like an sn-9 instead of an erector it will keep things optically centered much better.</div></div>
The patent information explains how it works. The pictures and description show that it is a 120 MOA per turn turret, with 1 MOA clicks. The fine adjust is the small lever behind the elevation turret. It pivots a plate the knob is mounted on, slightly raising or lowering the entire knob assembly.

It's certainly not an external adjust design like the SN-9. If anything it's like the old Unertl 10x, with the coarse BDC knob and fine adjustment beneath it.

The description of the zero stop sounds pretty cool. I didn't read the whole thing, but it sounds like a little catch on the side will lock the knob when you reach your zero. Since you can press the catch release and freely spin the knob, it sounds like you will also be able to go as far below your zero as you want.

Sounds like a pretty trick setup but for that kind of price tag I'd be more apt to pick up a new USO SN-3 GAP <---- pure sexiness.

Until such a time I'll just stick with my HDMR and its 26 mils lol

It is a fairly complicated design. I am sure they are working out any imperfections in it, but still it is complicated.

Apparently they have a reasonable amount of room to work with, regarding final selling price. If they kept the price to $3,000 they would sell many more than if at $3,600.

s

The adjustment mechanism reminds me of the focus on my Zeiss spotter. A coarse fast adjust dial with a fine tune to follow up.

Good thing to see crossover of efficient methods. Wonder if their velocity reticle completes the 'system' for fast acquisition?

Interesting to find out weight and length.

I understand your point but not really sure if that is true, this kind of scope will have a limited civilian market and if it performs could justify the higher price without hurting sales.

Someone's got to have a 20mm DD waiting for that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You think they will have a prototype ready for SHOT? </div></div>

We have prototypes in hand now that we have been using for initial testing for some time. Certain individuals on here have seen those units. What they saw initially was a concept that was improved upon based on feedback from many end users and information gathered.

There have been some changes that affect appearance and operation. Those final changes may not be incorporated in to the final production model prior to SHOT. With that said, we will not unveil it until it is in the completed stage and ready for final production.

As much as I would like to answer all questions and dispel all myths up until now, I cannot do so until the day we actually release it.

I can say that all of us at Nightforce Optics are very proud of the products we produce and feel confident that it will be well received when it is released commercially.

We sincerely thank all of the members on the Hide for all of the support we receive. Both positive and negative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All i'm begging for is the 5.5-22 F1... </div></div>

The BEAST will be a 5-25x56F1 on a 34mm tube......will that work?

You're patent schematic is missing the little red button...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vuamSKIvhcA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The New NF Z-F1

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9pxjnl1yuXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

is this new class of "uber" scope going to be a trend in the high end optics market? if it is, that's outstanding! Hopefully in following years it will trickle down to the "bargain" level of 1-1.5k optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're patent schematic is missing the little red button...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vuamSKIvhcA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The New NF Z-F1

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9pxjnl1yuXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div>

I have been told that NF has two versions. The military only version has a secret patent and other special features, such as Instant Replay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00bullitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All i'm begging for is the 5.5-22 F1... </div></div>

The BEAST will be a 5-25x56F1 on a 34mm tube......will that work? </div></div>

Yes. Although it is a bit more scope than what I need. The 5-15 F1 has served me well. Maybe a Snipers Hide group buy LOL?

I love the Fifth Element. It goes right up there with Blazing Saddles and Caddy Shack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're patent schematic is missing the little red button...

The New NF Z-F1

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9pxjnl1yuXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div>

I have been told that NF has two versions. The military only version has a secret patent and other special features, such as Instant Replay. </div></div>

Um, a "secret patent?" That is an oxymoron--a patent, by definition, is not a secret.

Maybe you mean a feature that is a trade secret.

Features like instant replay, fine and course elevation adjustment, etc. are cool, I guess, but where is the scope with built in laser range finder and automatic elevation adjustment? It seems like the technology is there, with miniaturized electronics and micro motors, that we could have this scope if a company would devote some R&D to it.

It would make the BORS system seem like a telegraph compared to an iPhone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magnum_99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're patent schematic is missing the little red button...

The New NF Z-F1

I have been told that NF has two versions. The military only version has a secret patent and other special features, such as Instant Replay. </div></div>

Um, a "secret patent?" That is an oxymoron--a patent, by definition, is not a secret.

Maybe you mean a feature that is a trade secret.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Features like instant replay,</span> fine and course elevation adjustment, etc. are cool, I guess, but where is the scope with built in laser range finder and automatic elevation adjustment? It seems like the technology is there, with miniaturized electronics and micro motors, that we could have this scope if a company would devote some R&D to it.

It would make the BORS system seem like a telegraph compared to an iPhone. </div></div>

erm.... "instant Replay = joke'.... too funny...
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any chance that it's made in the USA? </div></div>

Absolutely.

We have a release date for this scope yet?

ETA: also, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but is there actually going to be TWO 25x scopes? One the beast and another just a generic 5-25x?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're patent schematic is missing the little red button...

The New NF Z-F1

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9pxjnl1yuXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div></div>

I'll take the lot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All i'm begging for is the 5.5-22 F1...</div></div>

I agree, sell it for 2500 and i'm in!

I can't wait to see one in person! glad to see an American-made FFP with some range.

I would like to understand what is this feature on the BEAST:

- Unique i4F™ intelligent four-function elevation control DigIllum™ digital illumination-externally controlled.

LRCampos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a release date for this scope yet?

ETA: also, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but is there actually going to be TWO 25x scopes? One the beast and another just a generic 5-25x? </div></div>

They are both on the website...

And stop one at shot show goes to... Nightforce. Good to see, last year I didn't even do a write up for them. One new reticle just wasn't worth the ink. This year the beast and their new competition scope look quite appealing.

</div></div>

Awesome use of a film reference.

I haven't seen pricing. I'm guessing we won't until the SHOT show. My guess is $3k-$3.2k Can't wait to lay my eyeballs on it at SHOT.

Exciting that there is upscale glass on board. I've never felt disadvantaged with the glass on my 3.5-15 F1, but I suppose at greater distances, lower light . . . .

Sounds like NF is going toe to toe with S&B on this one. Exciting.