• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Torture Test Video

But you know, scopes that cost way less are every bit as good. Its foolish to pay NF money when so many other options exist for much less money. Yeah...

I'd better get another NF order in the que before they go out of business.

No need to torture test them the Beast is garbage out of the box. I've seen two brand new Beasts where the POI shown by the reticle shifted 6-10 inches at 500 yards based on where the last zooming motion was up or down. You can not make up for piss poor design with some flashy video.

No need to torture test them the Beast is garbage out of the box. I've seen two brand new Beasts where the POI shown by the reticle shifted 6-10 inches at 500 yards based on where the last zooming motion was up or down. You can not make up for piss poor design with some flashy video.
Didn’t they stop making the BeAST?

I've always wanted to try a NF, but their lack of reticle options (I've liked their mildot, MLR2 and Mil-C, the rest not so much), turning ocular for mag adjustment, and the fact that the competition is often a better value (more features for the price, with similar reliability) have all kept me away so far. Perhaps small things. I'll have to ask around at a local match to see if I can look one over in more detail, been awhile since I've had my hands on one.

Reactions: 5RWill and PFG
Yeah, they're a POS scope - I've got 5 of them and all track perfectly. But, I've always wanted to pay more for less and own underperforming crap. One of my friend's ATACR's looks like it may have been used in one of those torture tests. It came back from the sand box in really rough looking shape. He used it at a 100-1200 yard match a few months back and his tracking and shooting with it helped NF sell a few more to some of the suckers that were there.

Reactions: SLG
People can say what they wish, but the ATACR 7-35 Mil-C is a fine piece of work and is on my current wish list. It is worth every bit of what they sell for IMO.

Industry leading product and company in many ways.

The one that they could do without is the industry leading arrogance if you call with an issue. I understand that fielding calls from Joe Public probably wears you out some. Might be a tad out of touch with the market in that regard.

That is seriously insane. I own 2 NF scopes now, and am waiting “patiently “ (unless you ask Sonny ?) for my 3rd, an ATACR 1-8. I have others, but I’m genuinely getting sucked in to the NF family. Every single one I own has been perfect. Tracks true, box test showed it to be perfect. I don’t drive spikes with mine, but the peace of mind of knowing what they are capable of is comforting. I am a full time instructor, and I absolutely, whole heartedly can tell me guys and gals that ask “NF will work on demand, and WILL NOT let you down.”
Now just waiting on that 1-8........?

Reactions: SLG
Industry leading product and company in many ways.

The one that they could do without is the industry leading arrogance if you call with an issue. I understand that fielding calls from Joe Public probably wears you out some. Might be a tad out of touch with the market in that regard.

What happened?

My ATACR 4-16 has a defect in the glass. First time ever in my experience with NF. They owned up to the issue, apologized, and issued an RMA for it. Said it would be returned within about a week of them getting it. I haven't gotten around to sending it in yet.
Other companies that I have dealt with, both personally and professionally have often said something like, "Problem? that's the first we've heard of that." Nice to own up to it, and makes me buy NF again and again.

That is seriously insane. I own 2 NF scopes now, and am waiting “patiently “ (unless you ask Sonny ?) for my 3rd, an ATACR 1-8. I have others, but I’m genuinely getting sucked in to the NF family. Every single one I own has been perfect. Tracks true, box test showed it to be perfect. I don’t drive spikes with mine, but the peace of mind of knowing what they are capable of is comforting. I am a full time instructor, and I absolutely, whole heartedly can tell me guys and gals that ask “NF will work on demand, and WILL NOT let you down.”
Now just waiting on that 1-8........?
That was my deal as well. Once I started using them, they quickly surpassed everything else for me. I own a few other scopes still, and they do their jobs, but when it absolutely has to work, I grab a NF.

Reactions: Wildcat96
Great company! Great scope but I don’t think I’ll be driving nails or blowing up MY NF.

Just bought my first a couple months ago 2 1/2 x 10 with a milling reticle. It’s n my hunting M1a and I am very pleased with the quality of the build. I don’t torture test my stuff but you never know wild boar hunting.

Piss’n my pants anxious for my ATACR F1 to get here? Already have the SHV F1 mounted up on my 7 mag and love it?

Love my 7-35 mil-c from Mike and Richard at CST.. Great optics! Also have a 4-16 and it's a great optic as well, thought about selling it to fund a larger optic but I'm backing off for now...

Funny how none of these other optics companies will put their money where their mouth is and submit their top dollar shit to torture tests like this for everyone to see....

Reactions: Wyzrd
Funny how none of these other optics companies will put their money where their mouth is and submit their top dollar shit to torture tests like this for everyone to see....
Pretty sure I've seen similar or worse tests with Swarovski, Vortex Razor, USO and I'm sure many others.

Anyone else remember Lowlight blowing up the Razor?

Reactions: Wyzrd and Basher
the only thing is.... that’s a really old nxs scope. you could go both ways with that.

‘ Let the truth be told ‘ is the banner at the beginning of the vid . Ok then , that optic was designed
by Fumio Shimizu , who now is the lead designer / engineer at March scopes / Deon optical ....
Mr S was working at Light Optic Works when the NXS was designed .

Which is probably why they used that design , and not one of the post Shimizu designs , like the Beast
or ATACR .... Maybe next time , may I suggest setting the targets a little further away than a distance
more appropriate for an air rifle .

Reactions: kansas
Pretty sure I've seen similar or worse tests with Swarovski, Vortex Razor, USO and I'm sure many others.

Anyone else remember Lowlight blowing up the Razor?

Man, I'd like to see those videos.. if you dig them up that would be great.

I'm on the fence about buying NF scopes in general. I've owned two (2.5-10x32 and 3.5-15x50 F1) and didn't have perfect experiences with either. NF CS was stellar though. At the time they were quoting 5-6 week turn around time on service because so many people were sending theirs in to get matching reticles and turrets. However when they found out I had an issue with a brand new scope, they turned mine around in 6 days.

I'm not a huge fan of their reticles or turrets. I work QA in aerospace and NF build quality in terms of smoothness of controls is better than most out there (except maybe March). I would put it better than S&B, gen 2 Razor, Kahles, and Steiner; all of which I've owned or still do.

Their NX8 looks amazing and I would like to try one some day.

In the end, I think they are great scopes and come with a hell of a reputation. But I'm not going into combat and I'm not sure how much of that added durability (over other high end brands listed above) I need.

Man, I'd like to see those videos.. if you dig them up that would be great.

Looks like the video is gone but the aftermath of the shotgun blasts are pictured. They shot the scope directly with the shotgun, no ice so it's difficult to compare to the NF. I'm not saying the Swaro is more durable than the NF, I doubt it, just that other scopes have survived similar tests.

Won't let me view them for some reason... damn it man....

No, the videos are gone. I can't find them anywhere. It was treated far worse than the NF, although I'm sure the NF could have survived too.

Here's a working video of the Razor:

Wow! I love good manipulation. Old NXS, shooting the ice at a point which breaks the ice but not the scope, using the empty bit of the scope to hammer into pine, and shooting tannerite at 50 yards.

This site used to be about accuracy and precision - not bluster and snake oil.

Reactions: Clearlight
Wonder how much POI shift from POA there was on the steel plate at 50 yds in the video posted?

Whats the resale value of a "used" NF Comp 15-55?

^^^ Which is why I suggested longer range .... Bit hard to tell on a spinny steel target at near
point blank range . ( for a rifle ) . Have a read on Accurate Shooter forum , about return to
zero tests on NF Comp 15-55 units .

Wish I had one of those crappy scopes but on a LODI pension that will never happen.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
I owned and liked Nightforce when their high end units cost 1200-1500.

Reactions: tnc
As someone who can't afford one of those scopes, that really hurt to watch!!

Bloody impressive though!

Wow! I love good manipulation. Old NXS, shooting the ice at a point which breaks the ice but not the scope, using the empty bit of the scope to hammer into pine, and shooting tannerite at 50 yards.

This site used to be about accuracy and precision - not bluster and snake oil.
I'm not arguing your opinion... Just offering an alternate perception perhaps.

Do you think that the process of freezing the scope into a block of ice would legitimately "weaken" the scope or at least make it more succeptable to breaking under stress or impact? I believe most devices in the optics world will have a optimum operating temperature range that is probably just below freezing up to just above 120 degrees. It does seem that freezing the scope and then abusing it may still be a good measure to test durability.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
I'm not arguing your opinion... Just offering an alternate perception perhaps.

Do you think that the process of freezing the scope into a block of ice would legitimately "weaken" the scope or at least make it more succeptable to breaking under stress or impact? I believe most devices in the optics world will have a optimum operating temperature range that is probably just below freezing up to just above 120 degrees. It does seem that freezing the scope and then abusing it may still be a good measure to test durability.

The zero was not changed and the targets were at (max) 50 yards. This is not precision shooting, rather it is a tent peg test lubricated with a hint of snake oil. Good on them I say, but I think it does the brand more damage than good.

Reactions: TiroFijo
I see your point, Hairy, but I'm pretty sure that your view isn't held by the majority that view the video. People love a good show. That's a known. A great advertisement puts on a good show to create or reinforce a perception of a product. If the show is good, then that perception is effectively created or reinforced. There will always be a small minority that either "sees through" or doesn't buy the show. Such is life.

If the comments here and elsewhere are any indication, you are in that small minority I mentioned above. That's not either good or bad, it just is. It does not mean that you must convince the remaining majority that they are "wrong".

As an aside to the guy who canthitshit, notice how I correctly used the quotation marks above to indicate that the word(s) I was using might be up for interpretation?

Reactions: TiroFijo and SLG
It is my job to see through advertising BS and to ask the hard questions. But if the punters like the dazzle dazzle and it makes them feel good, all power to them. I still own two of the old NXS but have no intention of replicating any of the tests. That being said, how would people react to an old Tasco having the same results?

As I have said before, too many electrons have died in vain on this forum.

I think that someone should perform the same tests on an old tasco on video and post the complete unvarnished results. Then I guess that question could be answered.

Well I bet a SS10x would likely survive that test. However I've broken several Tasco 4x scopes on my old .22s just from regular range plinking. So I think it would really matter which Tasco you are using.

The zero was not changed and the targets were at (max) 50 yards. This is not precision shooting, rather it is a tent peg test lubricated with a hint of snake oil. Good on them I say, but I think it does the brand more damage than good.

The targets were at 100 yards, not 50. Just sayin... I would also like to see other scopes drive that same nail into that same piece of pine without the lenses flying out.. I would also like to see a March scope put to the same exact test just for you fellas, just to see how they stack up NF vs March...

Reactions: Covertnoob5
Frankly I would rather be shooting with my NXS or March or Tasco than driving nails into wood. In my country, they use hammers for that.

Reactions: lash