• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce TS-82 vs Meopta S2 82 HD

ptd

BOFH
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2008
Houston, TX
Did a search, could not find anything definitive - any real difference between these two? Looks like Meopta makes the TS-82 and spec wise they look exactly the same short of some marketing speak differences (ie 'proprietary Nightforce coatings' on the TS-82)

I mean price difference is roughly ~300 or so with NF being the more expensive version. Even greater difference if I pick up a demo Meopta body bringing the total difference to a little over ~600... Don't get me wrong, I am all for paying for quality - but not for the namesake of a logo...

-pd

Don't like to post things without first hand knowledge, but my mentor told me the exact same thing about NF/Meopta and he had one of the first NF straight spotters. He got rid of it as he prefers the angled version, he spots a lot off the truck window since he runs a ranch along with the long range habit we all suffer from :)
Could you pm me the info on the demo Meoptas?

Maybe vendors want to comment as they may carry both and have had a look through each?

-pd

you'll be happy regardless which direction you go. I would look at both and see whats more appealing to your eye aesthetically. glass is comparable in both units.

you'll be happy regardless which direction you go. I would look at both and see whats more appealing to your eye aesthetically. glass is comparable in both units.

So are they the same thing with different names?

Rolling into Tax time, I've been doing the rounds on SH and youtube to get any feedback thats relevant to this spotter.
I use Meopta in all my Sambar hunting and find their glass excellent for the price.

Given that NF is certainly dearer in Australia, despite it being an AUS company, does anyone have any further comments on this gem?
I was surprised even with the '14 shot show reviews they repeated the BEAST yet no mention of this spotter.

Cheers Boys,

L

I took a look through the NF spotter at the recent Sydney SHOT show at Rosehill Racecourse. Had the opportunity to look out across the racecourse at several objects, near and far, small and large and had no troubles looking out to around 600-700 metres by best guess. Glass seemed to be on par with Leica but at $AUD3500, it would want to be.

Haven't looked through or at the NF, but I've owned the Meopta for about a year. This spotter is amazing for the price and I heartily recommend it.
Skip

In fact, Meopta makes glass for the worlds best optics available. A friend of mine, who works in Meopta Prerov told me, that Zeiss optics = Meopta optics. They are suppliers of optic elements for brands like Leica, S&B, IOR, Leupold, Nightforce etc. So you can be quite sure, you are going to get crystal clear image in both. Personally I would go to the meopta spotter. I don't have experience with Nightforce, but I do with Meopta and I'm very happy with it.

Wish you a good choice ;-)

They both have "made in Chech Republic" imprinted on the base. Eye pieces also are interchangeable. They got to be the same. Very similar look besides the color and nubs on the Nightforce.

Well, that makes equation mark between them (Meopta is traditional Czech brand). Re-designed by Nightforce, made by Meopta... Consider the price and buy the cheaper one.

Edit: Very interesting info BTW. :-D

Just got my NFTS-82 and had it painted too match my GAP. I absolutely love it.
image.jpg

True that they are same piece made in Meopta with minor cosmetic differences ,buy the one which is cheaper for you.

Meopta doesn't make glass for Zeiss ,Leica,IOR,S&B these all use Schott glass Special glass, glass-ceramic and glass innovations from SCHOTT | SCHOTT AG Meopta might make glass for NF and 100% makes the NF spotting scope

Not true. You would be surprised.

Meopta actually cuts, grinds and finishes glass in house. While Zeiss is one of the only other optic powerhouses that has capability to take 100% raw materials and spit a product out, they do outsource.

And yes....we partnered with them to build our spotting scope as they have tremendous capability and make a superb product.

Reactions: Brentc
Not true. You would be surprised.

Meopta actually cuts, grinds and finishes glass in house. While Zeiss is one of the only other optic powerhouses that has capability to take 100% raw materials and spit a product out, they do outsource.

And yes....we partnered with them to build our spotting scope as they have tremendous capability and make a superb product.

So Zeiss makes their own at least for the top stuff ,IOR uses Shott , so which of these two Leica & S&B gets their glass from Meopta.

I cannot comment much further. Zeiss does make alot of their stuff - they are the true powerhouse in the optics industry and have 10k employees worldwide and gross over $10B yearly. IOR does build their scopes in Romania and they utilize Schott glass. S&B sources glass from more than one source.
I am not 100% certain on Leica, but I don't think they make any of their riflescopes or all of their spotters.

Zeiss and Meopta have the ability to start with raw materials and spit out finished product all in house.

Ok, let me explain what I told... I'm not telling you, that Meopta makes glass and everything else is made by those brands. I only said, that Meopta provides SOME elements for some SOME products, more or less for each manufacturer. You may like it or not, but every big manufacturer nowadays outsources as much as they can from all over the world. Meopta (or Optikotechna in the past) makes quality optics and fine mechanics for more than 80 years. Raw material (glass sands worldwide unique for their clarity) for their optics are taken from layers on Czech-Austrian border. Zeiss always used these sands also but as the time goes and the product portfolio grows it is cheaper to buy complete product then invest into new technology, which is extra expensive in optics industry. Now, Zeiss is the most important Meoptas customer and in their products are large percentage of glass made in Meopta Přerov (designed by Zeiss however). And that works for the rest also (some optics for some pruducts).
I only wanted to tell You: Don't be affraid about buing anything from Meopta - those are top notch products, which proudly stand besides the best manufacturers in the world and if they put their trust in them, You can also.
I hope, it is clear now. :)