• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Unimount

gonfst

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2006
Houston, TX
I just purchased a Nightforce Unimount to attach my Nightforce 3.5-15x56 to a Rem 700P LTR. If the Unimount has 20 M.O.A of taper built into it, which base should I use on the rifle?

Will there be any potential negatives to having a 20 M.O.A base under the 20 M.O.A Unimount?

Thanks.

Re: Nightforce Unimount

Other than your scope being pretty high, shouldn't be a problem.

Just found out that Badger Ordnance makes a Zero Cant base and I ordered it up from Brownells. I will return with a full report and photos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unimounts and other mounts of that type I think are more for AR's and other perimeter defence carbines. I wouldn't use anything but rings and bases to get as low as possible ona bolt gun, but that's just me </div></div>

You do realise NF makes different height Unimounts ??

Granted I much rather used a tapered base and standard rings, but my AIEI came with a O MOA base. It was easier to put the slope in the ring / mount

I ended up with a Unimount because the other taper one piece ring I tired ( NEAR ) was to low. The Unimount 1.125" was just right. As you can see form the pic, the 56mm objective of the NSX just clears

AIAE-4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gonfst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Will there be any potential negatives to having a 20 M.O.A base under the 20 M.O.A Unimount?
Thanks. </div></div>

Yes.
20MOA + 20MOA = 40MOA

Unless you mount the unimount backwards, then 20MOA + -20MOA = Zero MOA or straight.

John

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John F</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gonfst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks. </div></div>

Yes.
20MOA + 20MOA = 40MOA

Unless you mount the unimount backwards, then 20MOA + -20MOA = Zero MOA or straight.

John

smile.gif
</div></div>

This would not be a problem. He would still be able to achieve a 100yrd zero with 40MOA.

Trg42 - Thanks for the pic! I need to check the height of my Unimount, but that is what I hope my rig comes out like.

The Unimount was an impulse buy, I got 10% of my NXS and they offered the same deal on the Unimount...so I bought both.

If it doesn't play out, I guess I'll have to buy another AR-10 to use it on...that sucks:)

I should have pics up this week sometime.

Mark

Hi just to let you know you forgot to hide the gun number on the bolt.

I finally got the scope mounted and took it to the range. It does sit a little higher than I would have liked, but I have the Karsten cheek piece in the mail so I want to see how that feels before I swap it out for standard rings. The base of the scope sits 5/16" off the barrel which isn't too bad.

Because the Unimount has 20 MOA built into it, I used a Zero Cant Badger Ordnance base.

DSCN1087.jpg

Here is a picture of the third 5 shot group out of the gun today and ever (first time shot)...

DSCN1089.jpg

Not bad for a stock Remington LTR. However, it did almost take two fingers to pull back the trigger...HEAVY. That is the next evening project.

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Mark