• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Velocity 1000 reticle

MJ7

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
Has anyone used this reticle? I want to order a scope with it for hunting. I tried to search for other posts and could not find any. I would like to know the pros and cons of this. Thanks in advance

Re: Nightforce Velocity 1000 reticle

Great reticle for hunting. With more and more hunters having access to laser rangefinders the use of a hold over reticle also also become more prevalent.

Nightforce has the software to back up the reticle and it is very easy to use. They pretty much hold your hand through the whole process.

Just remember this is a "velocity" reticle. Use the nightforce calculator to determine which reticle suits your velocity. I'll put the link to the calculator below.

http://www.nightforcereticlecalculator.com/Default.aspx

Thanks for posting. I see now that it is not for me. I will go with another reticle.

I have a couple of them and also have several more of the older 600yd versions. They work well enough, so long as you correct for atmospherics. I don't use the holdovers much beyond 400 yards before I stared dialing.

What's not to like?

The Velocity 1000 Reticle is a great reticle when it is matched up well to the load you are shooting in your environmental region. It does need to be corrected for, when atmospherics change drastically.

It is a reticle that provides speed with good accuracy, as well as the ability to use the main crosshair as a standard reticle if you so choose to dial.

I have an Velocity 1000 HVM on my 243 shooting 115 DTACs to 3050. I matched it to my median Density Altitiude of 1250. I typically operate from 0-2500 DA. At 1250 DA it matches almost perfectly. It is never off more than .10 MOA at any distance from 0-2500 DA.

It is spot on to 1k. I can use the 500 hold and shoot .25moa groups to POA/POI.

If I ever go to an atmospheric other than where I intend to shoot, I correct for it and assign new distances to the numbered lines. For example - If I go to 5000' DA, my 500 yard mark will now be 510 yards.

For ranging purposes, there is a 10moa ranging scale on the top vertical stadia that is delineated in 1moa increments.

There is much that can be done with the reticle if you have a solid understanding of ballistics. All of the drop data in the reticle is provided by NF in their literature.

Use the online calculator tool to help select the proper V1000 reticle for your load. The calculator can be found at www.nightforcereticlecalculator.com

It is a great reticle in my opinion and I enjoy mine.