• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce vs Vortex????

Snipenace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
GA
I am looking at getting a new scope I'm looking at the NF 5.5-22x56 and vortex razor hd 5-20. I would like a premier but they are a little high for me. What scope has better glass and what are everyones 2 cents on them. I'm leaning to the NF I'll be shooting out to a max of 1000 yards and it is my hunting and comp and do all rifle. thanks

Re: Nightforce vs Vortex????

I like my NF scopes, but the Vortex is a hell of a scope for the money. I'm swapping the 5.5-22X50 NF off my rifle for a Vortex 5-20X50 Razor HD FFP shortly- new scope is in hand and looks impressive. I'll report back.
Also, good luck getting Nightforce scopes. Since they got the big .mil contract, availability has been limited and reticle swaps unavailable. "Maybe sometime in June" they said, two months ago. I know there are board vendors who have some though. Vortex supplies have been pretty good.

1911fan

I would have to agree, the Razor HD is a heck of a scope, and in my opinion the best value out there. Regretting having to sell the one I had.

i think you'ed be happy with either scope, but for longer distances, i like the nightforce reticle subtensions.

Do you think the NF has better glassi looked at the vortex and a NF side by side and it looked like the NF had better glass. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my NF scopes, but the Vortex is a hell of a scope for the money. I'm swapping the 5.5-22X50 NF off my rifle for a Vortex 5-20X50 Razor HD FFP shortly- new scope is in hand and looks impressive. I'll report back.
Also, good luck getting Nightforce scopes. Since they got the big .mil contract, availability has been limited and reticle swaps unavailable. "Maybe sometime in June" they said, two months ago. I know there are board vendors who have some though. Vortex supplies have been pretty good.

1911fan </div></div>

The general consensuses seems to be,

Mechanical durability = Nightforce

Quality of glass = Vortex HD

But neither by a large margin.

I've enjoyed my Razor. I don't own a Nightforce but a buddy does and it's a fine scope as well. I went with the Razor for the FFP and I like the EBR-2B reticle.

They are both quality optics. The real choice is SFP or FFP.

i had a razor for a demo for 2 months.. we set it next to a NF and at dusk looked at a tree in the edge of a woods at 550y.. the vortex could see more detail..... the razor also has HUGE adjustment... not sure on the NF

Having owned both I'll take the Razor. As far as durability I'd throw both off a cliff without any worry. Nightforce does have the high speed turrets however the Razor has FFP in 5-20.

Tough call if FFP isn't crucial to you. If you want FFP, now you're comparing a lower powered F1 to a less expensive Razor. As mentioned, the only thing NF has on Vortex are higher speed turrets. With the warranty the Razor holds, no way would I pay the extra $$ for an F1 to get less magnification and less adjustment.

I've checked out 5-10 different NFs, and exactly one Razor. Typical optical quality of NF was right there with the Razor, but I have an 8-32 NF that is better than typical NF - that is clearly sharper and more resolute than the ONE Razor I have checked out. To be fair, many folks say this particular 8-32 I've got looks better than my Bender PM-II 5-25.

Between a Razor and F1, I would take the F1 every time.

For the most part its just personal preferences on a few things.

Egronomics-
I greatly prefer the whole occular turning to change magnification on the NF. Ya, it can be a slight PITA with Butler Creek caps. IMO, they are junk these days anyway. Ive broken more than I havent... The bikini simply works. Hell I ran a NF bikini on my Razor!

I also prefer the illumination reostat location on NXSs.

Magnification-
20x on top means nothing to me. I prefer 15-16x on top.

Turrets/Tracking
Both tracked as they should, and have good click feel. The more I use High Speed turrets, the more I dont like them. So the 5 MIL per rev on the Razor and my pre HS F1s are GTG in my book.

Only complaint I have in this dept is the Razors windage turret. It turns too damn easy. I taped mine so it wouldnt move easily, and since have seen alot of them at matches taped in the same manor.

Reticle choices-
Tie. Both have a great selection of reticles to choose from.

Durability-
Being the Razor is so "young" its hard to say. Only time will tell.

Glass-
I would give the nod to the F1. On an informal test we did involving resolution charts the F1s faired somewhat better than the Razor to everyone involved. Not saying the Razor was terrible or anything.

I've had Leupolds, Premiers, NF, USO's and Vortex. The one I rely upon the most and compete with is the Vortex Razor HD with the EBR-3 MRAD reticle.

The benefit, which was the biggest selling point for me, was the .1 mil hash marks on the vertical @ 12 o'clock past 6 mils and on both sides of the reticle past 6 mils. The half mil marks are great for using hold-over at a stationary target, leads on a moving target or holding off for wind corrections, as most scopes have, but for estimating targets at unknown distances the benefit of having the .1 mils when you need them was the largest benefit. It gives you better accuracy to range your targets instead of guessing between .5 mils.

Check out the link for an illustration. http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_razor-hd_ebr-3_details.jpg

Most of the guys competing with Vortex scopes, that I've seen, run the EBR-3. I wouldn't compete with it if I didn't think it gave me an edge; not to mention the excellent customer service.

I owned Nightforce scopes in the past, I sold the NF that was on my rifle so that I could <span style="text-decoration: underline">upgrade</span> to a Razor HD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The benefit, which was the biggest selling point for me, was the .1 mil hash marks on the vertical @ 12 o'clock past 6 mils and on both sides of the reticle past 6 mils.</div></div>

I agree that .1 mil graduations are quite desirable. This is especially true in a scope that goes as high as 25x. I find the EBR-3 reticle a very desirable choice. Vortex has done a good job keeping the center un-cluttered while giving the user the added benefit of the fine .1 mil markings. It is very much like the popular USO GAP reticle if it was improved for high magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for all the info guys. I looked at a NF and the vortex the other day. I just seem to like the NF alittle better. But I'm still thinking and I got still awhile till I can get one I have to sell my Leupold mk4. <span style="font-weight: bold">PM me if interested in the Leupold lrt 6.5-20x50 tmr illum. </span></div></div>

Aww geeze, here we go again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My vote is for the Vortex.

1911fan is correct - there are some loooooooong wait times for NF these days.

Vortex Razor

Mark H. </div></div>

I ordered a new NF F1 yesterday, and it shipped yesterday....no long waits from my point of view.

Good that somebody had it in stock. NF told us a couple weeks ago that the stocking order we placed months ago should be delivered in February and that after that they will be down to a delivery "in only 12 weeks" from the order date.
IMHO, that's not an acceptable timeline, that's permanent back-order status. I wonder if anybody in Orofino is aware of the number of previously loyal owners they have angered. Or if anybody in Australia is.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipenace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for all the info guys. I looked at a NF and the vortex the other day. I just seem to like the NF alittle better. But I'm still thinking and I got still awhile till I can get one I have to sell my Leupold mk4. PM me if interested in the Leupold lrt 6.5-20x50 tmr illum. </div></div>

Serious?

I realize this is subjective, but how is the glass of the PST compared to nightforce and Mark 4 in the 4-16 range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dontmiss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I realize this is subjective, but how is the glass of the PST compared to nightforce and Mark 4 in the 4-16 range? </div></div> not a good comparison...the PST is at a much lower price point than the others you have listed. As far as glass not in the same league as the Nightforce and is a below the Leupold MK 4 but too much. But the Razor is in another class all together and is up there with the NightForces. I placed my Razor and USO together one evening and looked at light gathering and the USO SN3 3.2 x 17 and the USO was a crisper but not enough for me not to look at another Razor if the opportunity came up to get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good that somebody had it in stock. NF told us a couple weeks ago that the stocking order we placed months ago should be delivered in February and that after that they will be down to a delivery "in only 12 weeks" from the order date.

IMHO, that's not an acceptable timeline, that's permanent back-order status. I wonder if anybody in Orofino is aware of the number of previously loyal owners they have angered. Or if anybody in Australia is.

1911fan</div></div>

God forbid that NightForce fill their military contracts and those orders that have been waiting to be shipped. I mean, what were they really thinking? How dare they not move your order to the front of the line when all of those other customers have placed orders before you.

Seriously, though, nobody likes to wait when it's something they really want, especially a new optic, firearm, house, car, etc. but it's the nature of the beast because so many manufacturers are being swamped with more orders than they're used to handling. Take GAP as an example, I believe there's a 10-12wk lead time on getting a GAP-10 and what would happen if GAP just said 'fuck it' and started mass producing their rifles? The quality would be in the shitter and the accuracy would likely go south as well. The same can be said of a company like NightForce.

To get good, quality hardware it's not uncommon to have a waiting period because it's not like the good optics and firearms are mass produced on an assembly line.

In response to the question of NightForce vs Vortex, I've not had the opportunity to handle a Razor HD but I think your money would be well spent on the NightForce NXS.

I never said that NF <span style="font-style: italic">shouldn't </span> fill their contracts. But to do so, they've pretty much abandoned the civilian market. New product has been long delayed, stocking orders left unfilled, reticle swaps unavailable until mid-2012 maybe.... It's a big change from the way they used to do business. Brand loyalty is a fickle thing.
It's not about 'moving to the head of the line'. It's about being a stocking dealer, and having our order from months ago promised sometime in February 2012, with the statement that any orders after that would have "only" a 12-week delay. It's not because it takes that long, it's because the .mil contract has taken precedence over the civilian market.
Yup, good products take time. That's why custom-built Schmidt & Benders are about a month wait after you order them. But that's not 12 weeks.
While I agree money spent on an NXS would be well spent, I find it interesting that you prefer the one without having seen the other.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I never said that NF <span style="font-style: italic">shouldn't </span> fill their contracts. But to do so, they've pretty much abandoned the civilian market. New product has been long delayed, stocking orders left unfilled, reticle swaps unavailable until mid-2012 maybe.... It's a big change from the way they used to do business. Brand loyalty is a fickle thing. </span>

It's not about 'moving to the head of the line'. It's about being a stocking dealer, and having our order from months ago promised sometime in February 2012, with the statement that any orders after that would have "only" a 12-week delay. It's not because it takes that long, it's because the .mil contract has taken precedence over the civilian market.

Yup, good products take time. <span style="font-weight: bold">That's why custom-built Schmidt & Benders are about a month wait after you order them. But that's not 12 weeks. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">While I agree money spent on an NXS would be well spent, I find it interesting that you prefer the one without having seen the other</span>.

1911fan </div></div>

I can certainly understand how you feel about your order not being filled, as it's your bread & butter aka meat & potatoes we're talking about. It's how you make your living. At the same time, being an individual I don't mind taking a backseat to our military when it comes to being supplied but when you're talking about your livelihood being in jeopardy because your order hasn't been filled, it can put a different spin on things.

A custom built Schmidt & Bender is what, somewhat north of $3,500? I guarantee more people are buying NightForce optics than they are Schmidt & Bender when you consider the price of the two. I mean, hell, I could've purchased an S&B but...<span style="font-style: italic">why?</span> I'm neither some world-class competition, sniper match shooter no more than I am a military sniper so it would be money wasted.

I prefer the NXS over the Razor HD <span style="font-style: italic">because</span> of the reason I previously stated; having not handled a Razor. I have no doubt that it's a great optic but my NXS is no pushover and I know they can take a beating and keep going strong.

In addition to that, both the Razor and the NXS is easy to sell if or when the OP decides he wants to try something different. I can't say the NXS is better than the Razor HD or vice-versa but I have read/heard great things about the glass in the Vortex Razor HD.

Although I have the Razor and not the NF, I found that I got alot more scope for the money with the Vortex Razor. Vortex also had the scope in stock but NF had a six month wait (I ordered direct so I could take advantage of an active duty military discount).

The Razor comes with all the accessories (ex. scope rings), has a zero stop, and has nice large turrets for making adjustments. The glass is great ... crystal clear. Can't beat the warranty either.

You'll have no regrets with the vortex razor IMO.

NF ftw, if there is any problems ship it in and they will fix it. Yeah they do have crappy service at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperk1ng20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF ftw, if there is any problems ship it in and they will fix it. Yeah they do have crappy service at the moment. </div></div>

You know, I've heard a lot about NF dropping in CS lately but that hasn't been my experience at all. I sent them an email about an issue I was having and the CS rep replied with a phone number to contact him at (said to call at my convenience). I spoke to him on the phone and he spent the better part of 30 mins walking me through how to fix the issue I was having. He was polite, intelligent, and quick to help.

I presently have a Nightforce 5.5x20x50 and needed some work done on it. Per nightforce once they received it it had to sit a minimum of 30 days before they would even look at it. I plan on selling it, my friend had a razer demo which seemed very nice and they gave him almost next day shipping on one of his other vortex scopes when his rifle fell off the hood of the car.

DUDE! Great post... was just going to make a post about the new scopes I saw at High Mountain Hunting today. I saw side by side the new Vortex and a Military Issued Nightforce one of the EXTREMELY few that the public gets.. 1 of 173 or something. WOW Vortex impressed me, I thought it would be junk.. boy weas I wrong... it was beautiful. The glass was equal and actually looked slightly better then the Nightforce.. also it was in a lovely bronze/brownish anodized finish. Strong and large 35mm tube... wow finally a reticle with hash marks that I like besides IOR's beautiful MP-8 Reticle! Totally loved the reticle and the power ring was a sort of rubber armored. A real treat... I will totally be eying that scope for my build this year!!

Jamin