• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce your 10/22??

unrepentant

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
ms
With the rising costs I wanna move to long range rimfire practice since I can do that at home without any travel. I can shoot to 200yd. I've got a Ruger 10/22 and I'm thinking about mounting a Nightforce on it. It'd actually save me money... and it would provide a consistent training platform with the Nightforce ergonomics, since my two remaining .308s are set up with Nightforce scopes. I've got a spare Nightforce scope that I could use. I don't really wanna sell it or trade it off, in case I do get another "large bore" rifle (in which case I'd probably go "cheap" and buy something more practical for the 10/22, moving the 'spare' NIghtforce over to the larger rifle).

I have some questions, please:

1) Is a 5x22-56 Nightforce too much overkill for a 10/22? Seems like overkill to me, but it'd actually save me money (right now) instead of going out and buying another scope.

2) Is a scope base with a 20MOA incline necessary on a 22LR for 200yd shooting? My guess is, I'd need an inclined base.

3) I haven't got the 10/22 with me; I'll have to drive to go get it. What kind of rail would you recommend for such an endeavor? Are there Picatinnys out there that are drilled to be compatible with 10/22?

Thank you, All.

Re: Nightforce your 10/22??

You should try to match the power of the scope that you're using for long range centerfire to an appropriate ratio for the long range rimfire.

IE, if you shoot 10x at 1000y you want to use about 2.5x at 250y

You also want to keep the reticle the same for commonality.

I'm working my way towards the same setup you're doing now. My 10/22 has a 3-9x on it and I routinely shoot it at 4x out to 300y on swinging steel.

My thinking is that you don't want to necessarily have an artificially magnified target view that allows you to see far more with the 22LR than you would with the centerfire rifle.

I don't have any trouble reaching to 400y with my bolt 22 that has a 2.5-10x tasco on it. A 20MOA base isn't necessary to reach 200y at all.

IIRC I use up something like 12 MOA to get from 100 to 200y.

There was a dude recently who was carrying a Hensoldt(sp) on his 22.

Think of it this way? <span style="font-style: italic">Perhaps</span> it's overkill to put a NF on a 22. But it is <span style="font-style: italic">definitely</span> overkill for that NF to sit in the safe only to glass the fuzzy walls in the dark.

You have it, use it.

Nah, putting a NF on it isnt overkill, especially since you already have the scope. I say use what you got.
I run a USO on my 40X, its a Mil/Mil scope so the math is the same as the USO that is on my .308.
Plus its your rifle so you can set it up however you like. If someone likes the way it is, great, if not they dont have to shoot it.

If you already own the scope, rings, etc. then putting it on the rifle is free...
wink.gif

edit to add, I put a pict. rail from Tactical Solutions on mine. It's a fine mount but 0 MOA. I didn't feel a need for the 20 or 30MOA on that rifle.