• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes nightforce zero question

fairbank12

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2012
hello, im new here and fairly new to long range shooting, i just pulled the trigger on a nightforce nsx 8-32x56 with the moar reticle to go on top of a lr308 and i was wondering what y'all were zeroing these scopes in at, I'm thinking about 200 yards but just wanted to check what is common

Re: nightforce zero question

100 yards is probably the most typical zero point. That's where I zero, and that is where I recommend you zero as well.

thanks, one of the biggest reasons i ask is i could have swore nightforce recommends a 185 yard zero but i cant find it again to save my life

I think the Velocity reticles could be calculated to suggest your scope be sighted in at "185" so all the line we close to dead on.

That would be my guess?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fairbank12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks, one of the biggest reasons i ask is i could have swore nightforce recommends a 185 yard zero but i cant find it again to save my life </div></div>

Thought I saw that on the reticle/ballistics calculator on their website

With the MOAR reticle 100 yds would be mine zero range. All my scopes are set up that way. There is a thread I just commented on regarding this topic. If you had the velocity reticle then an odd-ball number might be best. 200 will work but with a 100 yd zero you can have 100yds, and easily dial anything longer or closer. Your always dialing up. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fairbank12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello, im new here and fairly new to long range shooting, i just pulled the trigger on a nightforce nsx 8-32x56 with the moar reticle to go on top of a lr308 and i was wondering what y'all were zeroing these scopes in at, I'm thinking about 200 yards but just wanted to check what is common </div></div>

I have the same scope as you do and I zeroed it @ 100 yards as I do with all my other NF scopes. You are going to love the MOAR reticle. I was always an NP-R1 man, not any more.

I don't know how far you're going to be shooting typically, but if you Zero at 100, then generally everything else is up from there and you won't be dicking around dialing below your zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fairbank12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello, im new here and fairly new to long range shooting, i just pulled the trigger on a nightforce nsx 8-32x56 with the moar reticle to go on top of a lr308 and i was wondering what y'all were zeroing these scopes in at, I'm thinking about 200 yards but just wanted to check what is common </div></div>

I have the same scope as you do and I zeroed it @ 100 yards as I do with all my other NF scopes. You are going to love the MOAR reticle. I was always an NP-R1 man, not any more. </div></div>

+1 NF MOAR is very nice, now if I just had 4 more....

With the MOAR reticle, I would zero at 100 yards then run your ballistic calcs from there. I have the same reticle on a 5.5x22x50 and really like it. NF says it is one of their best sellers.

thanks everyone, i can safely shoot out to about 800 at either paper or coyotes which will be this rifles main use. Now that I think about the 185 yard zero I'm pretty sure it was for the velocity reticle. Now if that big brown truck would hurry up and get here so my blood pressure can go back down. This waiting is killing me!!!