• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce

jsp112

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2012
Hey guys!

I'm shooting a remington 700 .308 with a weaver 40/44 4-12 x 44. Looking to upgrade to a nightforce or a better weaver for longer range shooting (currently shooting up to 400yds)

Wanted to hear some of you guys opininons on what you recommened I should go for as I don't know a whole lot about scopes so am looking to further my knowledge a bit! Budget not a problem.

Cheers guys

Re: Nightforce

Most popular in the Nightforce line up would be the NXS 5.5-22 either 50 or 56. High Speed turrets are standard now with ZeroStop being an added feature (not a necessity but its awful nice to have). NPR-1 and NPR-2 are the most common reticles.

5.5-22 NXS
Pick your favorite turrets and reticle from their web site.
Doesn't mater if you want MOA or Mil, just be sure to match turrets and reticle.
I highly recommend high speed turrets and zero stop.
Also, I have 50 and 56mm objectives. I like the 50 a little bit better,but it is personal taste.

It really depends on what you're shooting at and how precise you want to get. Assuming that you want to stay with a Nightforce, for tactical type of shooting, a 3-15X might just do the job for you very nicely. Going with this power range would also leave the FFP F1 as an option. If you want to be able to be more precise, then the 5.5-22X is pretty popular.

My gunsmith is pretty heavy into benchrest shooting and he thinks that the 5.5-22X isn't nearly enough. He prefers 36X and more.

I have a 5.5-22X50 on my bolt gun. I went with the 50mm objective because going with the 56 would have meant having to go with higher rings. I have a Krieger Heavy Varmint barrel on my rig and it just barely clears the bell of the 50.

5.5x22x50 NXS with HS turrets and zero stop.
Reticles I'd reccomend are the NPR1, MOAR or MLR, matching turrets are a must.

As with a lot of guys here, I'm a big fan of the NF 5.5-22 for what you're planning on doing with it. I prefer the 56mm objective, high-speed turrets, and the zero stop is well worth the extra $100 or so. NP-R1 reticle.

My .02

Darrell

You going to be at the range only? Or are you planning on hunting with this scope?

I bought a 3.5-15x50 NP-R2 non HS and non ZS for a steal in the for sale section here. I was going to use it for target, match, and hunting, so the lower end was necassary. I have never been hampered shooting 100-600 yards with the "lower" power 15x as opposed to the 22x. I shoot the Smack the Smiley match, and I am looking at .40" groups. Not sure how much accuracy you are after, but just food for thought.

Also, buying a NF scope, may get rings or mount that allow you to move this scope from one rifle to another. I have had mine on an AR, Rem 700 (see below), and Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 300WM. Dead nuts accurate. You will not be sorry.

Check the for sale section for a deal. Got mine for around $1200 if memory serves me right.

I have the nightforce 32x 56mm on my 300 winnie it is awesome to say the least but if you are goin to be shooting at ELR then go with the 22x for more moa other than that the 32x is golden

Been using the MLR and more recently the MLR 2.0, can't go wrong with a NF.

been using a 3.5-15x50 nxs mildot and have no problem seeing and hitting small targets at 500yrds. Havent shot past that distance yet but couldnt see it being a problem out to 1000 on standard size targets.

I use a 17x optic at 1000 yards on a regular basis. 15x should cover a broad range for a 308. I prefer the nightforce NP-R1 for wind holds over the 5 moa hashes on the NP-R2

I just got my frist Nightforce, All I can say, life is good now

I picked up a NF last week. 5.5-22x56 with MOAR reticle. I absolutley love it and can't believe that it took me this long to upgrade the glass on my R700. What a difference it makes!!!

I had a 3.5-15x50 MLR, Mil Turrets and ZeroStop. I recently upgraded to a new F1. Very happy. It's a great all around scope. Good magnification range for hunting and target shooting. If you have the cash I would buy an F1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armedzebra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a NF last week. 5.5-22x56 with MOAR reticle. I absolutley love it and can't believe that it took me this long to upgrade the glass on my R700. What a difference it makes!!! </div></div> How do you like the MOAR ???
I was reading about use the R setting for your ranging, How is it ??

Has anyone heard anything about NF coming out with a FFP model in the 5.5x25x56 yet??

The Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50/56 with the reticle of your choice wold be my top choice with the NXS 3.5-15X50/56 second.

Just sent my new NF NXS 5.5-22X56 back to the factory. Guess I just got a lemon. Fingers crossed. Great service so far.