• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes nightforce

Re: nightforce

I personally like the MLR reticle. Learning MIL's and how to properly use them can very useful. Just my .02

I STRONGLY suggest you don't go 42x unless you are shooting 1000 yd br or fclass. For a hunting/tactical gun it is too much. Not only will you never shoot it on 42x in a practical situation you sacrifice ALOT of internal adj to get that 42x. Get the 5.5-22 w/either the MLR or NPR1. Just make sure you get the turrets to match the reticle
wink.gif

Depending on how small the stuff is that you're shooting at, even the 5.5-22X might be too much.

For a general purpose hunting rifle, I really like the 2.5-10X32. It's relatively compact and light. Even the 3-15X is a pretty good sized scope.

How far out are you talking about shooting?

Personally, I like MOA based reticles. Since I don't always get the opportunity to shoot long distances, I tend to challenge myself by shooting are really small targets. Most MOA scope adjustments are in increments of .25" and Mil scope adjustments are in .1 mils which translate into roughly 1/3 of an inch, so the MOA just suits me better.

California, he has plenty of opportunities to shoot offshore seagulls at a mile
cool.gif

Though I shouldn't talk, I'm using a 8-32x scope on my yote/fclass rig. Last yote I shot at just under 100 yards I was on 18x... never been much of a low power fan.

Guess I'm crazy like that
whistle.gif

Whatever u go with, just make sure the turrets match the reticle. This eliminates the need for extra math to convert mils to moa clicks. I have a 3-15X56 MLR with .10 MRAD Turrets, and I love it. I went with mils because there is more range estimation info out there because of it's military use. I have never used a MOA reticle so I can't contrast the use, but I am happy, and it's great glass.

local comps are going to start ranging out from 600 to 1000... and then hunting shots on varmints at 400+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tac243</div><div class="ubbcode-body">local comps are going to start ranging out from <span style="color: #006600">600 to 1000</span>... and then hunting shots on varmints at 400+ </div></div>
I use the 5.5 x 22 with NPR1 and it works really good for comps and general shooting, tonight I put it on my .223 Rock River AR because my rifle is at the Smiths.
I like high power scopes as much as the next guy, but if you shoot comps you will be in a hurry and most likley using a bipod. The problem I have ran into was finding my targets at 900 yards quickly at 22 power, so, I will generally run my scope at 18 power.
Now for range finding, most people will have a hand held, and for those few stages that have unknown distances you can range pretty good at 22 power and using your reticle along with a chart that will do the conversion to yards.
Just throwing it out there.
SScott

I agree with 3rdgss. If you are going to hunt varmints 800yds and out I can see you using a 42x. Just remember that the NF 42x reticle works at 22x and when it gets hot you will see a lot of mirage. The NPR1 and the MLR are the way to go.

As for the RET we sale more NPR1’s to the varmint shooters.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3rdgss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I STRONGLY suggest you don't go 42x unless you are shooting 1000 yd br or fclass. For a hunting/tactical gun it is too much. Not only will you never shoot it on 42x in a practical situation you sacrifice ALOT of internal adj to get that 42x. Get the 5.5-22 w/either the MLR or NPR1. Just make sure you get the turrets to match the reticle
wink.gif
</div></div>

You are right on the money.
I have the 12x42x and rarely go over 22x.
But the 42x comes in handy for a spotting scope LOL.

I have the 5.5-22 with NPR 1 and love it. I have hunted two seasons with it. It is a bit heavy, but for the way I hunt it does me just fine...