• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nikon’s new Rangefinders

Where did you get the beam divergence information from. I literally just emailed Nikon about this, and they said "Thank you for contacting Nikon. At this time we do not have that information available.".

Not attacking you, just want to know the source, since I'm sure I was not the only one to email Nikon about this.

He is the guy from the video. AKA a senior product manager at Nikon.

Bear, I hope you will let us know what you think of the Nikon rangefinder you ordered when it arrives? I am opting for the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized just because it'll be better for my hunting and shooting applications. Can't wait!

Bear, I hope you will let us know what you think of the Nikon rangefinder you ordered when it arrives? I am opting for the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized just because it'll be better for my hunting and shooting applications. Can't wait!
I sure will. it will be here on Friday since it got delayed somewhere. Ill report what it does on Monday when I get back to a computer.

I heard form a few more folk's yesterday who have received their new rangefinder's so they are definitely showing up.

To answer the beam divergence question for the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized, the Horiz. .25, Vertical 1.8.

IMG_0225_1.jpg

Last edited:
*******STUPID QUESTION ALERT***********

Can yall explain what beam divergence is and why it seems to be really important? im very new to range finders and all the lingo so please edu-macate me.

I heard form a few more folk's yesterday who have received their new rangefinder's so they are definitely showing up.

To answer the beam divergence question for the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized, the Horiz. .25, Vertical 1.8.

IMG_0225_1.jpg
So what's the report on how it performs? Is it able to give readings consistently over 1000 yds. on animals or steel targets?

Tag. Looking to order either the 3000 or 4k. But want to hear some real world reviews. i want something that will consistently range steel targets out to 1200 at least.

My experience with a 1400yd-capable LRF is that it needs to be on a camera tripod beyond 800yd in order to be steady enough to work. Admitted, ain't the rock steady Dude I one was; but it's a significant consideration for when the distances multiply.

I tested this out this past weekend and was only able to get it out to 1150 yards, the furtherest I could see with all the south texas brush. Oh yea, when I ranged the 1150, I was just holding it with no rest while standing and probably about 12 beers into my hog hunting adventure. so, stabilized works very well even when you don't. haha.

here is a good review and also a view through the range finder so you can see how the stabilized function works.

I tested this out this past weekend and was only able to get it out to 1150 yards, the furtherest I could see with all the south texas brush. Oh yea, when I ranged the 1150, I was just holding it with no rest while standing and probably about 12 beers into my hog hunting adventure. so, stabilized works very well even when you don't. haha.

here is a good review and also a view through the range finder so you can see how the stabilized function works.

What sort of targets were you ranging? I’m very interested to see how well it does on actual deer and pig sized critters. The rangefinders I have seen struggle to distinguish an animal from a small rise in terrain. If the animal is sky lighted, no problem.

John

Reactions: bman940
Hondo, I was ranging trees since we didn't see any critters at distance. im eager to find out the true capabilities of this unit. im going to a range this weekend that goes out to 1280 so ill see if I can get any readings out there past the furthest target on anything smaller.

Reactions: bman940
I just picked up the 3000 from opticsplanet, FYI if you open a live chat and ask for a discount they will give it to you for 398 shipped

Reactions: Bender
So where do tree canopy full of leaves typically fall into the detection range of most rangefinders?

Max I need to range tree tops is about max range listed on the 3000 Monarch. I prefer the image stabilization on the smaller unit but wondering if I should wait for the RangeX 4K to range treetops out to 3000 yards.

So where do tree canopy full of leaves typically fall into the detection range of most rangefinders?

Max I need to range tree tops is about max range listed on the 3000 Monarch. I prefer the image stabilization on the smaller unit but wondering if I should wait for the RangeX 4K to range treetops out to 3000 yards.

In my experience, the max range advertised usually applies to something ultra reflective like a road sign. I would be surprised if the monarch ranged leaves at 3000.

Hello,
Someone try the Monarch 3000 on steel target like 1 MOA ? How far did it get them ?

What is the best choice between Leica2700 and monarch 3000 for a PRS and ELR combination use (unfortunately the 4K won’t be sold in EU) ?

I have hit 1650 with it one day and then the next day I cannot seem to range past 700 yards. I tried at 1000 and 1280 on steel targets with no luck.

came back home and hit 1650 again so no telling what is going on there.

you don't need a tripod stand for this. the stabilized function is amazing. takes my shaky hands and makes everything still.

I have hit 1650 with it one day and then the next day I cannot seem to range past 700 yards. I tried at 1000 and 1280 on steel targets with no luck.

came back home and hit 1650 again so no telling what is going on there.

you don't need a tripod stand for this. the stabilized function is amazing. takes my shaky hands and makes everything still.

Different lighting conditions? I know that bright sunny days can cause some issue with ranging

could be. it was a clear sky, 80-85 degrees and bright as shit. my sunburn can attest to that.

picked up 700 like it was nothing but I couldn't get any reads from the hill side, tress, bushes, steel plates, etc. out past the 700 yard mark. Im no LRF expert so I don't know if it should be picking up those objects or not but figured it would.

I'm amazed that people have these RF's and I have yet to see non-sponsored/fanatics posting anything real. No pictures of a 3k ranging stuff at 2K+. This always makes me wonder if the stuff posted on here is even legit. Hell, if i had one this week i'd have a write-up comparing it to the the Conx/Nikon 1000 done over night..

Reactions: deersniper
I'm amazed that people have these RF's and I have yet to see non-sponsored/fanatics posting anything real. No pictures of a 3k ranging stuff at 2K+. This always makes me wonder if the stuff posted on here is even legit. Hell, if i had one this week i'd have a write-up comparing it to the the Conx/Nikon 1000 done over night..

I’m waiting on mine in the mail or I’d do the same, I previously had a sig kilo 2000 and am really hoping that this is an upgrade.

Would low humidity at dusk or dawn be the best environmental conditions for most range finders meet their max specified range?

So no verdict if Nikon 3000 is any better than Sig Sauer 2200 (kvasi 3400y max range for reflective targets) ,we all know the drill, real life range is about 1/2 if you are lucky . The other thing i hope they have any better quality control than Sig units that vary wildly from unit to unit. You can end up with Kilo2200MR that ranges like their sub 200$ kilo1250

Tested a bunch of rangefinders of a tripod last week on metalic targets 50x50cm and 50x100cm at 1050m and in the bunch only Rudolph(chinese laser bino) and leica 2700 reliably measured , (leica 2700 is in a class of its own), one of the Kilos 2200MR , couldnt hit anything past 900m the other one could range a nearby tree at 1000m ,leica LRF1600 droped ot at 850m ,so for now ranging practical steel targets 1000+m in all conditions is still not quite in the domain of most LRFs brandishing nominaly much longer ranges.

One more note , so far new battery instead of one supplied with the LRFs often led to marked improvement in ranging indicating that original battery was low .

Last edited:
Ill do a write on it if you send me a LRF to compare it too. otherwise, I can only give you what I see out of it. not a fan boy or fanatic. the best I have gotten on reflective targets is 1650 but nothing past 700 on small plates at the range.

Ill do a write on it if you send me a LRF to compare it too. otherwise, I can only give you what I see out of it. not a fan boy or fanatic. the best I have gotten on reflective targets is 1650 but nothing past 700 on small plates at the range.
When you say small plates, what size were they? Also, what did you utilize as a reflective target?

So no verdict if Nikon 3000 is any better than Sig Sauer 2200 (kvasi 3400y max range for reflective targets) ,we all know the drill, real life range is about 1/2 if you are lucky . The other thing i hope they have any better quality control than Sig units that vary wildly from unit to unit. You can end up with Kilo2200MR that ranges like their sub 200$ kilo1250

Tested a bunch of rangefinders of a tripod last week on metalic targets 50x50cm and 50x100cm at 1050m and in the bunch only Rudolph(chinese laser bino) and leica 2700 reliably measured , (leica 2700 is in a class of its own), one of the Kilos 2200MR , couldnt hit anything past 900m the other one could range a nearby tree at 1000m ,leica LRF1600 droped ot at 850m ,so for now ranging practical steel targets 1000+m in all conditions is still not quite in the domain of most LRFs brandishing nominaly much longer ranges.

One more note , so far new battery instead of one supplied with the LRFs often led to marked improvement in ranging indicating that original battery was low .

That's why I keep my PLRF05. It is in a class of it's own. I just hope it stays working and giving good reads out to 2000Y or so!

Just got in from ranging our steel, had steel set up from 100 out to 786 yards, plate sizes 2-12”, farthest I was able to get was a 12” diamond at 550 yards. It easily ranged a a fairly small tree at 804 and several other large ones well past 1200. The image stabilization is awesome, I was able to range off hand and it was solid. Even from a moving car it was great. I also managed to range a car at 2929 yards.

I’m a little disappointed with the range on steel, but I know my targets are rather small compared to a lot of ranges and this is still much better than my kilo 2000 did on these same targets and I had to use that on a rest of some sort. I may be being a bit unrealistic with my expectations for a range finder in this price range. It was the worst possible conditions today with full bright sun. It is absolutely worth it’s price.

Overall, I think if your use is hunting or anything you want that extra stability for, Buy it. I am going to post mine for sale on the hide before returning it if no one picks it up and try the 4k.

Last edited:
Availability of the 4K model seems to have been pushed out to the end of April now based on what Optics Planet and Sportsman's Guide are indicating.

I'm curious about one thing after having owned it. The stabilization is only on the eyepiece, so if youre moving around, even though you have the reticle steady on the target, that still means the laser emitter is moving, so whats the point in the stabilization if both arent stabilized?

Look like Optics Planet has the RangeX 4K in limited stock now.
Just ordered mine, said there was 25 in stock when I went through checkout. Hopefully I get it this week. I never buy a product that has limited amount of 3rd party reviews, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: triatleta
I'm curious about one thing after having owned it. The stabilization is only on the eyepiece, so if youre moving around, even though you have the reticle steady on the target, that still means the laser emitter is moving, so whats the point in the stabilization if both arent stabilized?

As laser goes out trought the prism just ahead of the eyepiece is should be stabilised as well.

4K RangeX performance;

Targeting tree canopies 1500 yards max, every third read registers range while unsupported in bright full morning sun. At 1200 yards the reads register every time. In this light capability varies with angle to the target and the sun. Nothing beyond 1500 yards registers at this time.

Will be looking to get closer to the 2700 - 3200 yards on trees the Nikon rep spoke to in the video later at dusk.

Edit:

Went back out at dusk and the max the unit I have could read on pine trees is 1900 yards. I got a whole mountain rising behind me to 3300 yards with trees of various types, exposed boulders, etc, and I could not get a read on anything past 1900. That's not terrible considering the manual states trees to 1700 yards. My opinion, and its my fault for listening, but the rep at shot show shouldn't have been going on and on in all the posted videos about how he can get reads out to 3200 yards, and "you should try it".

Last edited:
Mine arrived today. No problems ranging skyscrapers out to 1825, as long as they weren’t glass and angled so the beam would deflect instead of reflect. Even in those cases, I was occasionally able to find features that would reflect back. Those were around 1300-1440 yards.

This is not a a comment dircted only at you guys as I see it on every single rangefinder thread, but why do people review rangefinders by ranging things like trees, buildings, rocks, etc?

No one shoots at that stuff, and it’s irrelevent to the actual performance of the rangefinder.

Reactions: super_poot
No one shoots at that stuff, and it’s irrelevent to the actual performance of the rangefinder.

Some people may have wilderness areas in their backyards where they can shoot as far as rock can be seen or target can be humped out and hung from a tree.

I like to know how far away the various trees are.

Noone ever verifies the number.

"Yeah, my rangefinder got a tree a 2265".

Amazing...so you don't actually care if that is correct? It spit out some numbers so you're good?

Reactions: Patty
Some people may have wilderness areas in their backyards where they can shoot as far as rock can be seen or target can be humped out and hung from a tree.

I like to know how far away the various trees are.

Must be nice!

This is not a a comment dircted only at you guys as I see it on every single rangefinder thread, but why do people review rangefinders by ranging things like trees, buildings, rocks, etc?

Because 50% of the time that I use my RF its when all the animals are hiding or within 100 yards.
45% of the time is range time where i shoot at metal
5% of the time i actually find something way out there to use my RF on.
Any Semi long range RF is going to pickup everything under 300 yards, which conveniently is where i get to see animals most of the time.

If someone gave me good enough reason I would spend the day driving around the countryside trying to pick cows at longer ranges
Buttt,
A. I dont shoot cows, so with your methodology that's irrelevant to its performance
B. I have more important things to do than driving around farm country looking for cows to range.
C. Speaking of accuracy, with the differing beam divergences, how do you even know you are the actual animals past 1k and not the ground around them?

Maybe i could snare a deer then lead 1000 yards away and compare that to what the Rf says, but who in all honesty will do that.

Ok, you actually got me thinking here.. I have a elk hide and bear rug I could put at 1k and test my Rf's on... But who does this?