• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon Manarch vs. Vortex Viper... need input pls..

Redsnake

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Tulsa, OK
I'm a noobie to this forum, but I've spent several hours over the last 2 days reading and reading. VERY informative and educational.

My needs are not as a sniper, but a good hunting scope. I just picked up a new Remington 700 in 7mm-08 and will be using this one for Deer, Hogs, Coyotes and whatever else the 7mm will handle. I'd like a good and clear glass, good for low-light (lots of my hunts it seems shots occur either right before sun-up or right before sun-set).

My budget is sub $400 range... give or take. I've read the post here about "best scopes for $350" and that was quite informative. It gave me several things to consider and I've come up w/2 scopes I'm really interested in. (If I missed something let me know)

The Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42mm and the Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50mm. Both are in the $400 range. Both have mostly good reviews not only here, but on the online community that I've found. Only a 'few' posts here that give a negative to the Viper, but I've not heard anything bad about the Nikon. Scope needs to be pretty tough as we typically ride a 6-wheeler for about 30 minutes on rough country to our hunting lease, several times during the season. Don't want to miss a shot because my scope lost it's zero.

If it was your $$ which would you go with? Much appreciation for your time!

Re: Nikon Manarch vs. Vortex Viper... need input pls..

I would go with the Nikon.

The 2.5 would be nice for close and in the woods. I've looked through a monarch and a v-II together before and the monarch was better so they are plenty clear and bright in my option.

Go with the Viper. Good scope, and the larger objective will be better in low light conditions. Not sure about Nikon's warranty but I know Vortex warranty is lifetime, transferrable, and no hassles.

1911fan

Viper - larger objective allows use of higher power during low light conditions, 30 mm tube. I think the Viper is a beefier scope. Nikon Monarch is also a good hunting scope. Still no slouch, but not quite as hearty as Viper. Personally I think Nikon has better and brighter glass all other things the same. I have owned both and would say it's a toss up based on what is most important to you for your application. Can't go too far wrong with either one though....

Casey

Check out the Viper HS 2.5-10x44... I really like mine

50mm objective lens and 30mm tube is a plus. I guess for low light and not worrying about short range I would go viper.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to do some reading up on what the benefits of a 30mm tube is over a 1" tube... if any in my situation. Sounds like both of these 2 scopes (or the Viper HS 2.5-10x44) would do me well. Decisions decisions... If there was a good discount going on somewhere I could find that might seal the deal for sure. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the info for a newbie.

BTW... I'm not a newbie hunting, just never really explored all the possibilities of scopes. I have used some basic "Wal-Mart" $50 scopes in the past... and they worked, but it would be nice to step up my game some. (I'm sure many are laughing at a $400 scope as stepping up the game, but we all have to start somewhere right... ha)

it's close, both are great scopes, both have good glass, a lifetime guarantee. what i would do is try out the vortex, with us you get a full money back guarantee if your not satisfied. just give it a shot and if you don't like it, get the nikon.

I have no experience with Vortex other than handling them at the store, so I'll refrain from stating one is better than the other. I'm a huge Nikon fan normally. For the price you can't beat the glass, fantastic scopes and I love them! ...For us non-tactical hunters. I don't compete in matches or drop rifles while running an obstacle course or whatever the hell kind of abuse most of you guys put your gear through! haha For a hunting rig they are a great value/performance medium.

That being said...they feel like they're going to break if you touch them wrong. Not saying they will!! They just feel like it to me. I wouldn't trust my two Monarchs to bouncing around in a 6 wheeler. Never had a problem with mine, but I do baby them. From what I HEAR, not experienced, but hear...the Vipers are tough. What I do have experience in is your situation. I've only ever had the wal-mart specials, simmons and such. For the one time a year I shot my deer rifle they worked just fine. But than I got my first Monarch and was absolutely amazed at the difference! (and I can't even tell the difference between 720 and 1080 HD)

You can't go wrong with either, I'm confident you'll be happy no matter which one you get. But my vote would be with the Viper if you don't want to worry about it on the wheeler.

Thanks again for all the info. I was able to find a reconditioned Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42MM for $300 to my door in 2 days. Looks like one that was used as a demo at a show... so that's all good with me so long as it still carries the lifetime warranty. I guess if it fails on me then I'll know to give the Vortex a try next go around. I'm just anxious to get this rifle together and perhaps get it out on my next Hog hunt...

Since I'm a newbie on this board I'm not sure if we're supposed to show off hunting kills... if we can, I'll post up my latest Razorback trophy...
smile.gif

I think the reconditioned Nikon scopes only carry a 90 day warranty unlike the new ones that carry a lifetime warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chemist1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the reconditioned Nikon scopes only carry a 90 day warranty unlike the new ones that carry a lifetime warranty. </div></div>

Hmmm... well I guess if it goes bad after 90 days then I'm hosed. Hopefully it will be good to go. Now it's got me re-thinking saving the $100...

Man... I'm flip'flopping on this. Called up SWFA and I'm going to stop the Nikon order and switch up to the Vortex Viper. The gentleman I spoke to on the phone recommended the Vortex glass as well... so now I wait until tomorrow to get it all worked out.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I think you are going to be happy with the viper. I have 3 and a buddy of mine has 2 and they are all very nice.

I have a vortex viper Pst 6-24x50 ffp, and I like it. If you're in the Los Angeles area you are more than welcome to try it out if you bring some ammo
smile.gif

you won't be disappointed with the viper. I have had a monarch and it was an excellent scope but I also have a viper HS and it has been better than i expected. If you do get into longer range shooting target or hunting the clicks are true and the viper is an excellent entry scope for long range. I have some friends that put them on their 6.5X284 and are hitting out to 1k. Alot of it is the rifle and shooter but for the money they are vortex all the way.