• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nikon Monarch Optics

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I was looking at different optics for another Precision 6.5 AR-platfrom Im building. I dont want to spend a ton of money on an optic for this build. I want to try to keep it around $550. Im going to be using it for Target shooting only.

I forgot all about the Monarch series. Does anyone have any first hand on these? Good glass?

Any info at all would help.

Heres the platform so far, Im waiting on the 24" Barrel.

8-6-10CameraPics072.jpg

Magpul PRS Stock
Magpul Enhanced trigger gaurd
Magpul Rail panels
Larue 13.2 " Handgaurd
Larue Bipod Mount
Rock River 2-Stage Trigger
Harris Bipod
Troy Front + Rear BUIS
Ergo DLX Grip

Re: Nikon Monarch Optics

Nikons Monarch series is one of there better scopes, and have the best glass of most Nikon's.

The glass is very clear and I have heard they hold up well. Only downside I can think of is most of their scopes have a low max range of adjustment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The glass is very clear and I have heard they hold up well. Only downside I can think of is most of their scopes have a low max range of adjustment. </div></div>
+1.

The 4-16x42, as an example, has excellent glass, but an adjustment range of 40moa. If you have 20moa base, with a bit of bad luck you may not be able to zero your scope at a normal distance. If you use 0 of 5 moa bases you are good to go.

what about the Monarch X series? i think just the Monarch's are more of just a hunting type scope. but great glass for he money. check out Natchezss

ive got a 5-25x50 falcon ffp mil/mil soon to be on the way... $500 for 5-25.. cheaper for 4-14

bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigmaned</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what about the Monarch X series? i think just the Monarch's are more of just a hunting type scope. but great glass for he money. check out Natchezss </div></div>

Apparently the Xs are being discontinued. I guess nikon is getting out of the tactical market. Damned shame if you ask me. Pretty solid scopes for the $$...

natchezss has Monarch X refurb on clearance but over his price range still

Unfortunately by all accounts, the newer Monarch X didn't hold up to the older Nikon tacticals (even though they look exactly the same).
Seems like Nikon started skimming on the parts. I have one of the older Nikon tacticals with the illuminated Gen 2 reticle (apparently a clone of Premier Reticles) and it has held up great under an assload of different platforms. Had it on a rem700, an Ar-10, a Bluegrass Armory Viper .50bmg, and now its on a steyr. Hasn't had a single hiccup and I'm damn glad because the last thing I want to do is send it in for repair.

Apparently another individual (I think on this forum) sent his in for repairs and they had to replace it with the newer monarch-X because they were unable to service the older tactical.
Not worth it.

The Nikon are very nice for the price we have several customers that really like the ones we got them. I would also recommend looking at the Leupold MARK ARs I have been really happy with the MARK AR's.

Mike @ CST

I shoot BR with my 8-32x50 Monarch, I love it. Holds zero, great clarity, and it comes with lens caps and a sun shade if you need em' haha. I don't have as much money in my whole set-up as a lot of guys have in there scopes, and I'm placing top 3-5 every time I shoot and this was with a stock Savage 10 in 308. I now have switched to 6.5 Creedmoor and I know with this scope I won't have any problems contending for wins. Try one out, you won't be disappoited!

I have one on a hunting rifle with a bdc reticle. The bdc reticle was dead on using a 30-06. Can easily make clean kills to 600 yds with this 3-9x40 scope.

Hey, my review was on the original Monarch Tacticals, when they first came out. I understand things have changed and I have been waiting for a new one to review for a real long time. I dont know anything about the newer ones.

If you can find an older one they are great scopes. No idea on the new ones.

Well, guess what showed up today? The newer version in 4-16x50. Clicks feel great abd glass is very good. Will do complete test and post results in next few weeks.

I have the 4-16-42 SF Mildot. I like it but can tell a difference in clarity between it and a nightforce. It is however a quarter to a third the price. I do wish it had more elevation but it works on my 223 out to 700.

It seems to be holding up good and is holding a solid zero over 300 rounds and riding in my polaris ranger.

Another vote for the monarch. I've shot through 12, 20, 24 and 32 and been very happy with all of them.

I had a night shoot yesterday and the monarch did very good. Much better than I. I underestimated it and didn't have enough faith in it that hurt my scores at 400 and 500. I shot them at 6x and should have used 12x. The clicks were positive enough that I felt fine doing all adjustments by feel and sound with no lights.

Having said this, I looked through my monarch at 16x at around 6:45 and noticed the brightness. I then looked through Hellbenders schmidt and bender at 25x at 7:05. The schmidt was noticably brighter on a higher power around 20 minutes closer to dark. Having said this, the price difference was much greater than optical difference in my opinion but, the schmidt has tons more options.

I feel much better about my monarch after last night then I did before. For around 400, the scope is hard to beat.