• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon or Viper?

Atti_Mac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2010
TX
I bought already a Nikon Monarch 5-20X44 Nikoplex reticle scope.
Here is a description of it:
ikon Monarch 5-20x44 Side Focus Scope:

* High resolution 44mm objective lens
* New Monarch eye box
* 1/8-MOA hand turn adjustments
* Locking side focus adjustment
* Extended mount ring spacing
* Features bullet drop compensator
* Matte design
I'm newbie so when I bought it I didn't know anything about reticle. Should I get a Mil-Dot Viper instead of Monarch?
I'm planning to shoot on range 200-600 yards , And I will hunt couple times a year at 200/800 yards range. So my question is with this Nikoplex I will able to shoot at the unmarked field, range or should I sell it , and go with Mil-Dot or just need to buy a range finder?

Re: Nikon or Viper?

Well I own 2 Vipers, both 6-20 one is a 50mm the other is a 44 mm, both are awesome scopes, but, I have also owned a few Monarch scopes also, either will get the job done but optically I would say the vipers have better glass, Both are great optics for the money

Have owned 3 Nikon Monarch, 4-16x50. one with Nikoplex and 2 with the BDC. Never had a problem with the adjustments or returning to zero when needed. The optics are crisp and clear and work well in low light. The BDC is a great tool for long range shooting, it helps a great deal. For instance, sighted them at 200 yards and moved to 300 yards. At 300 yards, wind blowing about 2 miles per hour, straight at me. the hold over was at the first open dot in the reticle. The BDC does work as it was designed to do. The only down fall to a Monarch is the large eyepiece. Makes mounting it low to the rifle tricky.
Never used or see a Viper so can't give any feedback. I do like the looks of the PST.

What's your budget? Ever consider Zeiss or Sightron? They're just a bit higher than Nikon and Viper but that much more in quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Attila The Hun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody? </div></div>

How are you going to range your targets? I use a laser range finder for hunting, so I have not taken to mil-dot scopes. I had a Nikon Monarch UCC (NikoPlex Reticle)on my .308 for hunting purposes and had great success. When I evolved into LR target shooting, I picked up a NF with MOA Reticle that suits my present needs. There is a learning curve that the sainted and salted have conquered to accurately use Mil Dots.

My budget is $400. I found a Nikon Monarch for $380 brand new on ebay with shipping, or $380 with shipping a Viper. I don't know anything about reticle, so I don't know BDC will be better or Mil-Dot.

GardDog223 , I have no range finder yet, but I 'm planning to get one. So you don't need to use a turrets if you have a mildot , because you will moving a gun following a dots? This is totally confusing me, this is a reason I can't decide, because I don't understand a basic process.
frown.gif

I have a scope that has MOA marks. Using those and a simple formula I fall within a yard. Yep I'm a dinosaur, but I don't have to worry about battery life.