• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NIkon Vs Vortex

MyM40A2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2011
Pasadena CA
www.csvca.com
I asked this question on another site and they recommended that I ask the question here because they said that some of you here use the vortex scopes so I hope you can help.

I am looking to pick up an inexpensive scope to be used on my AR for Coyote Hunting. Ranges will be under 500 so I really don't need anything high end. Both of these scopes are priced within $10 of each other.

I have not had any experience with either scope so I am hoping some of you here have. Here are the 2 scopes I am looking at

Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 with their bdc reticle

or the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 with their bdc reticle.

I have looked thru each of these scopes but only for a short time. Not enough time for me to tell if one was much better then the other. The only real feature that I see as being a benefit with one scope other the other is that Nikon offers the use of their "Spot On" program online that will allow the user to punch in the ballistics on their load and get the yardages for each of the hash marks on the bdc reticle.

Does one have better glass then the other?

And which one would you recommend over the other and why?

As always, thank you in advance for any help you can offer me.

Re: NIkon Vs Vortex

First. let me say that I am a very happy Vortex PST owner.
Now, between the two yo are proposing, I would go with the Nikon.
The lower end Vortex you're looking at is, IMHO, not as good as the Pro Staff Nikon.
That opinion comes from owning one of the Diamond Backs.

While I really like Nikon scopes, I hated their BDC. At longer ranges the circles blocked to much of the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only real feature that I see as being a benefit with one scope other the other is that Nikon offers the use of their "Spot On" program online that will allow the user to punch in the ballistics on their load and get the yardages for each of the hash marks on the bdc reticle.

</div></div>

Just a quick note, we have had the same function available on our LRBC)long range ballistic calculator) program for a while now http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/lrbc. You can use it to get the your drops for our BDC reticle,Mil reticles, and MOA reticles. If any one has any questions there are help(?) icons on the program itself, a tutorial video on our website, and if all else fails just gives us a ring.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rascaldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I really like Nikon scopes, I hated their BDC. At longer ranges the circles blocked to much of the target. </div></div>

Same here. The reticle on the Nikon I had was too thick for me, and the BDC was annoyingly big. I have a 4-12x40AO Diamondback with their BDC now and am happy with it. The Nikon's are good scopes, but you need to really look at their BDC reticle before you decide to buy one. The Vortex BDC is set at different MOA points on the stadia, I think 1.5 MOA, 4.5 MOA, 7.5 MOA and 11 MOA. If you plug in your load info to JBM Ballistics' website it'll give your trajectory and you can find the corresponding drop points in the reticle.( EDIT: Or you can do what Scott said, I missed his post) Same as Nikon's Spot On.

I had a Nikon Monarch, so I won't compare glass. The Monarch beats a Diamondback. It also costs more than twice as much. I will say that my Diamondback is plenty bright and very clear for the price. The edges are a <span style="text-decoration: underline">little</span> distorted if you're looking at them, but I don't hunt with the peripheral area of the scope so it doesnt matter to me. For it's use on my hunting rifle, the Diamondback is perfect.

I'm a huge Vortex fan. I feel that they offer the best scopes at their respective price points, SWFA is a close second. I did a ton of research before I bought mine, and I have never seen a negative word spoken about thier customer service. They also have the best warranty of any company, and I mean ANY company, that I've looked at.

Although I have never actually gotten around to owning any Vortex scopes, I think the fact that a representative from their company showed up to help address a concern of yours should help answer your question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njlohmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although I have never actually gotten around to owning any Vortex scopes, I think the fact that a representative from their company showed up to help address a concern of yours should help answer your question.</div></div>

For real.... Anyone will tell you that Vortex has the best customer service in the industry. Their CS has made a customer for life out of me.

Reactions: Moose73

I would go for the Vortex. I have 3 vipers and 1 diamondback and all are great. You get a lot for your money with Vortex.

In this case, I think that the Nikon would be a better choice. For starters, as you mentioned, their Spot-On program is available. The higher grade Vortex scopes are awesome and in another class altogther, but in this category, the Nikon ProStaff wins out and its glass should prove slightly better.

George P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only real feature that I see as being a benefit with one scope other the other is that Nikon offers the use of their "Spot On" program online that will allow the user to punch in the ballistics on their load and get the yardages for each of the hash marks on the bdc reticle.

</div></div>

Just a quick note, we have had the same function available on our LRBC)long range ballistic calculator) program for a while now http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/lrbc. You can use it to get the your drops for our BDC reticle,Mil reticles, and MOA reticles. If any one has any questions there are help(?) icons on the program itself, a tutorial video on our website, and if all else fails just gives us a ring.

Scott </div></div>

Will that work for the Diamondback? It was my understanding that it would only work for the Viper and above

Damn it you guys! There is enough good reviews on both scopes to allow me to choose either one. I was leaning towards the Nikon. but now that a Vortex rep chimed in I'm thinking I might go with the Vortex.

I would like an answer from Vortex on my question above. That might make my decision if what was said is correct. But I remember reading on the Vortex sight that the ballistic program they have is only for the higher end scopes. Anyone have an answer to that? I'd like to pull the plug tonight on the scope so it arrives at the same time as both of my AR lowers and my Savage Predator Hunter that I just bought.

Scott at vortex, I got a question for you. What would be the least expensive Vortex scope that would allow me to order the custom turrets so I could have them set up to be able to dial in the yardage directly without counting clicks. Meaning which one would allow me to have turrets that are marked 1,2,3,4 and so on for each of the 100 yard ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only real feature that I see as being a benefit with one scope other the other is that Nikon offers the use of their "Spot On" program online that will allow the user to punch in the ballistics on their load and get the yardages for each of the hash marks on the bdc reticle.

</div></div>

Just a quick note, we have had the same function available on our LRBC)long range ballistic calculator) program for a while now

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/lrbc. You can use it to get the your drops for our BDC reticle,Mil reticles, and MOA reticles. If any one has any questions there are help(?) icons on the program itself, a tutorial video on our website, and if all else fails just gives us a ring.

Scott </div></div>

Will that work for the Diamondback? It was my understanding that it would only work for the Viper and above</div></div>

Yes. The reticles are all the same.

Ive used the Nikon BDC on several long range shoots and it works great. I used to think they were too big and blocked the targets too much as well. Your eye will find the center of the target and have no issues. Can't go wrong with Nikon's glass and quality. The Spot Program is a huge asset now. Im waiting on one for my Coyote rifle as well.

Brian, You are absolutely correct how your eye finds the center and using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program ( Free) really helps the shooter dial in their BDC scope and shooting data to get the correct distances for each circle. I have personally been with guys who have never used this style of reticle before and in no time they were blowing up 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 623 yards using stock rifles.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Just a FYI, If you have thought about a Nikon Buckmaster Scope, a great promotion going on right now where if you buy from an Authorized Nikon dealer you get a coupon for a free Nikon Digital Camera.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only real feature that I see as being a benefit with one scope other the other is that Nikon offers the use of their "Spot On" program online that will allow the user to punch in the ballistics on their load and get the yardages for each of the hash marks on the bdc reticle.

</div></div>

Scott </div></div>

One of the big reasons Vortex is taking market share. When all else fails, call them up and a person will work with you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyM40A2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only real feature that I see as being a benefit with one scope other the other is that Nikon offers the use of their "Spot On" program online that will allow the user to punch in the ballistics on their load and get the yardages for each of the hash marks on the bdc reticle.

</div></div>

Scott </div></div>

Will that work for the Diamondback? It was my understanding that it would only work for the Viper and above </div></div>Yes, the program it self can be used for any scope in our line and any one elses scope with the same BDC subtensions and Mil or MOA reticles/turrets.

Although the custom turrets are limited to the Viper line and up.

Scott

I just looked a Diamondback over yesterday. It was a 4-12 model. I was really disappointed with the clarity of it. I had a Nikon Buckmaster series with mil-dot. And it was far superior to thie Diamonback imo in that respect.

Reason why I was looking was the shorter eye relief. I bought a new Redfield 4-12 and mounting option for my Rem M7 is limited for a scope with this much eye relief. The Redfield at half the price of the Diamondback just smokes the Diamondback in clarity.

I like the Redfield more so than the Nikon I had because Nikon tends to have thicker reticles. The Redfield has finer lines and the new Accurange reticle seems to work out pretty well for me.