• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Nikon's new P-22 rimfire scope?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Has anyone bought and used one yet? Saw it on the web, and then found one locally. Glass looks pretty good in the store for a $179.00 scope, but I know being outside in low light can be different.

I am thinking or ordering one for my s&w mp 15-22. Right now if you order through a participating dealer you get a set of the p-22 AR style scope mounts free with the scope. Purchased separately those mounts are $50.

Re: Nikon's new P-22 rimfire scope?

Just picked one up yesterday. I won't be able to get to the range with it til next week though, since I need taller rings to clear the bolt handle on my CZ 452. I find the glass to be good, but I got it because I wanted the BDC reticle with the exposed turrets and this was the best deal I could find with those features.

Main problem I have with it is the 50 yard fixed parallax built in to it while the BDC reticle is set up out to 150 yards. That's all good and well if most of your shooting is going to be up close, but if you want to stretch your rimfire's barrel, go with a scope that has an adjustable objective.

That being said, Nikon glass is a great value in my experience, and I run a Monarch on my CZ452.

for the price tag that they are at, they are a nice scope for a rimfire, but as Noah noted, the parallax is fixed at 50. the scope outside in natural light is i find very nice, clean, and crisp, but sadly i have not had the ability to shoot under it to see how the tracking/ repeatability is with it.

I was also looking at this scope for my Savage. But in looking at this and comparing it to the nikon 3-9x40 prostaff rimfire, the prostaff won. I couldn't justify the lower magnification and lower objective for more of a price. I picked up my prostaff for $149 and I paid $17 for leupy rings. This will be my 4th nikon though. I have one buckmaster, and two m223 series scopes. I really think they are a great value either way.

I have used the PROSTAFF Rimfire BDC 150 for almost a year now on my Ruger 10/22 and love it. Crisp clear optic and you are right, the price helps a lot. I have palyed with the P-22 Series scopes and Mount's at ShotShow but have yet to get one on a rifle,hopefully very soon. I'll let you know what I think, honest opinion , when I do get one. Good deal getting the Free Mount with the -223,P-223 or P-22 Scope purchase. Going on until 4/22.
As always, feel free to drop me a note with any questions.
Bart

I got one, and I am a bit underwhelmed by it. The optics are pretty good, but not stellar. I would say they are on par with the Weaver rimfire line.

My biggest dissapointment is the field of View - it is VERY NARROW. Comparing it side by side with the Weaver 2-7x28 and the 3-9x40 rimfire scopes, it seems to be about 3/4 of the weavers at 7x magnification. Considering the eye box is huge compared with the Weavers', I expected better.

The elevation turrent on the one I got rattles. They have a pull-to-re-zero feature and, on mine, the elevation turret is loose/floppy. I am sending it back.

I wish Weaver would put target turrets on their rimfire scopes...

Finally got mine to the range yesterday, and took it back to the store today. The turrets are loose and rattle just a little, but made an annoying ping when I shot. I probably could have lived with it, but there was obviously something wrong with the one I got. The same gun and ammo which was grouping 1/4"-3/8" @ 25 yards was grouping right at 1" stringing vertically. I guess I will just save for something a bit better.

Bought mine through Cabelas, and have it mounted on my s & w mp ar-15/22.

For the price, and the fact that I got the free scope mounts I think it was worth it.

My take on it:

1. The mount is really nice. Glad I got it for free!
2. I think the glass is really good on mine for what I paid for it.
3. The FOV is narrow, but I'll live with it.
4. My turrets are fine - but they make the scope heavy.
5. I like the BDC reticle, and this is my first one.

That's it.