• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nitrex TR 2 vs Nikon buckmaster

Shootinsurveyor

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
VA
I have had my eye on a 4.5x14 buckmaster, but I came across a Nitrex TR 2 3x15x42 with semi target turrets for 200 bucks after rebate. I know they aren't to super top of the line standards, but I'm looking for the best between the two. Does anyone have experience comparing both or just use one or the other? I used search and most of them hadn't received their scopes ordered from the special I saw at Natchez.

Re: Nitrex TR 2 vs Nikon buckmaster

For what it's worth, there are a couple of entries for Nikon in the spreadsheet in my signature line. Maybe that can help you out, and you may wanna PM the people listed there for advice/experience?

That is a pretty well put together resource. Doubt it will quell the Ford vs Chevy type, but valuable none the less.

Thanks. Trying to gain traction on it to become even more useful, but it looks like submissions have petered out recently. Contribute if you can!
-BB

I have used the Nikon 4.5-14. I had a BDC reticle in one and hated it. The reticle was waaaay too thick for any kind of precision work. The other one was a standard nikoplex crosshair and it was great. Bright, tracked very well, would reccomend one. No experience with the Nitrex.

Nitrex all the way. I just picked one up from Natchez last week. It surprised the hell outta me. IMHO glass is better than Buckmasters and even the Monarch series. I like the turrets and their zero-stop idea. Pretty good positive clicks on the turrets although I'd like for it to be a bit more stiff but it doesn't bother me. Glass is super clear, I'd say about the same as Leupold Vx-3 if not better. I got the TR 2 with the EBX retiticle, reticle is glass etched with bullet drop, also has 10mph wind accounted for. I thought the reticle is perfect for hunting (which is the main reason why I bought it). I never looked through it before I bought it so I went in gambling. I figured it was made in Japan so it can't be that bad and I was gonna return it if I didn't like it.

Box doesn't come with scope cover or lens cloth or anything, just the box, scope in a plastic wrapper and instructions. I haven't fielded it yet but I did take it out during the evening to see low light performance and it's awesome. Gathers light well, brighter than what my eyes can see. Eye relief is about 3.5-4", side focus works as it should. Just a solid built unit IMHO. Let me know if you need more info. Also if you do plan on getting the Nitrex, the BC cap sizes are 18 and 30.

btw, have you checked out the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2031902&page=1 <~~Review
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=598484

Alot of good reviews on here about them, it's mil/mil with mil-dot. It might be a better choice depending on what kind of shooting you're gonna do. Good luck and let me know if you need more info.

all i know is Nitrex has some quality glass i have a tr 1 but still quite amazing clearity. thats a big deal for me.

I like to think that I will be shooting my 308 out to 1000 and need a scope matched to that. But probably never will. Either one will be the nicest scope I own. I'm a sucker for a good deal that lets me get a little more than I thought I could. Either scope would make the simmons 44 mag that is on my gun quickly relegated to rimfire duty. The Nitrex just looks like what I want for 200 bucks even without mildot. Thanks for the input

Just sending my 2nd nitrex tr 2 back to natchez. First one had the illum dot off center, second one illum doesn't work. That being said. . . . Minus the illum problems it seems to be a good buy on the account of features and glass.

I still have all the nikons I've bought.

Just joined sniper's hide to comment about Nitrex (by Weaver) scopes.

I like to brouse websites selling scopes looking for a bargain. Noticed the discontinued Nitrex's prices at Natchez, did some research on brand and decided to order a Nitrex TR2 3-15X42SF with target turrets....final cost after Nitrex rebate was $218.

When I received scope, impressed with its glass/features. Mounted scope on a 7mm-08 rifle and first time at shooting club, asked 5 guys I regularly shoot with to evaluate the Nitrex. All are serious shooters/hunters that don't mind spending big bucks on rifles and scopes. They are much more scope savvy than me. Each sat down with rifle at bench and played with the Nitrex, made any adjustments they wanted with focus, magnification, SF, elevation/windage turrets. Guy who I knew would be the most critical evaluator (a Leopold, Nikon, Zeiss user and on our clubs board of directors), had heard of Nitrex brand but never seen one, will spend a few minutes with scope and then turn to me and say in a surprised voice..."damn this has good glass". In summary, all 5 guys gave the scope a very positive review, not a negative comment made by them about its features. One gent commented, "if this scope holds up, has no internal problems, then its a heck of a scope for a heck of a price."

OK, a couple of weeks later I'm back at range and a guy sat down at bench near me to try out his 300 Win Mag reloads in a new rifle he'd recently bought for elk hunting. On rifle was a new 4.5-14x44 Ziess Conquest, also SF/target turrets, that sells for around $850. We will begin to chat. I compliment him on his Zeiss and eventually will ask him to check out my new Nitrex and give me his opinion for how it compared to his Zeiss. I allowed him to play with scope, make any adjustments he wanted to and etc. Several minutes later he tells me, glass equal to his Zeiss and commented something that suggested he liked the Nitrex reticle better. Elevation/windage adjustments had positive feel like his Zeiss. Should have see the expression on his face when I told him the Nitrex cost me $218.

About this time, another shooter near us joined our converstion. He is a Burris scope user and had been one of 5 guys that evaluated the scope first time I had it at range. He tells me he'd been so impressed by the Nitrex that he'd made up his mind to order one of discontinued Natchez TR2 4-20X50 SF/target turret scopes for the 260 cartridge rifle he has on order from Remington's Custom Shop.

I liked my Nitrex TR2 so much, I had my brother order the 4-20X50 tr2 last week and received it today. With $100 Rebate final cost on it will be $279, which is about 1/2 price of Weaver Super Slam equivalent. Expect a $15-18 shipping/insurance charge from Natchez.

Nitrex TR1 is the Weaver Grand Slam and TR2 is a Weaver Super Slam. Weaver and Nitrex both owned by ATK. Nitrex has a one year over counter exchange program with seller and then a life time warranty (non transferable)....scopes go to Weaver location for warranty.

I may have to try it out based on that price from Natchez. I have been pleased with my Weaver optics.
Lee

I had a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X. It is a good scope for beating the crap out of and riding around the ranch in the truck but I would not recommend it for any serious hunting action.

There is so many different opinions. Theres a guy that goes hunting locally and all he uses along with his friends is Nikons LOL. From what i been reading the nitrex is really good aswell and for $100 more well worth it. Im gonna look into it for the next month or 2 i might make a move.

Is the adjustment 50 MOA? And is the tube a 1inch or 30mm? I'd assume 1 inch but I dont like assuming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Several minutes later he tells me, glass equal to his Zeiss and commented something that suggested he liked the Nitrex reticle better. </div></div>

you lost all credibility at this point

I vote for Nikon. Mine has worked perfect. With a 20moa base it has enough adjustment for 1000 yards.